Where would you stand

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was walking the dog tonight off the lead, he's very good off the lead but when I see another dog I always call him back and put the lead back on him.

I did this tonight as I saw another dog off the lead in front of me, I continued walking and the other dog belted towards my dog and started fighting with my dog, my dog is as soft as could be and he was wagging his tail until the other dog started biting

I instinctivly started kicking/moving the other dog away from mine, not hard but I was wearing boots as its quite snowy.

The owner who was carrying shopping ran towards me and pulled his dog away.

My question, if I hurt his dog in question, would I be liable, because after it had all happend I wished I had kicked him hard, damm hard.

I hate owners who cannot keep their dog in order, in this caes the owner taped my shoulder and said "he does not normally do this", yeah right, he was a little shitty yappy terrier who needed a good kicking.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I don't know where you would stand legally, but I would have done the same in your situation. I can't stand it when dogs attack other dogs. The owners probably know they'd do it, so keep them on a lead!

We can't walk our dogs "around the block" any more because some chavs leave their dogs in their front garden and they attack anything which walks past.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Legally, I suspect it'd be considered that you were using appropriate force to protect your "property" (your own dog) from harm.

Was there something that makes you think this might be an issue or is it just a hypothetical question?

Personally, my spaniel is a cocky little shite but there's something about her that seems to wind other dogs up so I've been in this situation quite a bit myself and my first response is to try and grab the other dog by the collar but if that fails (either because the dog isn't wearing a collar or cos it's biting at me) then the next step would definitely be a boot up the jacksie.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Legally, I suspect it'd be considered that you were using appropriate force to protect your "property" (your own dog) from harm.

Was there something that makes you think this might be an issue or is it just a hypothetical question?

Personally, my spaniel is a cocky little shite but there's something about her that seems to wind other dogs up so I've been in this situation quite a bit myself and my first response is to try and grab the other dog by the collar but if that fails (either because the dog isn't wearing a collar or cos it's biting at me) then the next step would definitely be a boot up the jacksie.

Its not an issue in this case.

It was a hypothetically question, but I am getting sick of it happening and next time the kick might be a bit harder.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    No dogs 'needs a good kicking'
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both dogs are off lead it is a grey area and you could both be fined for dogs out of control, if a dog attacks your on lead dog I believe you can use enough force to protect your dog - I carry a stick which has come in handy a couple of times.
  • GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    No dogs 'needs a good kicking'

No, dogs don't, but some owners definately do. I have to say though that my instinct would be to use any force necessary to protect my dog[ not that I have one, now he's gone to the Rainbow bridge:cry:].
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    As someone who used to train dogs with behavioural problems like this, I would say that you were in the right for protecting yourself from a dog attack.

Its illegal for a handler to allow their dog to be out of control! Out of control can be proved if a reasonable person watching from a distance deems it to be so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its becomming a big problem, my dog is good off the lead but whenever another dog comes into sight he's straight back onto the lead, you never know what the dogs reaction is going to be even in the best of dogs.

Its happend a few times lately, but never to a point where another dog has had its mouth wrapped around my dogs leg.

The owners do need a kicking as somebody said earlier, but I am not going to apologise for kicking a dog who is attacking my dog while on the lead.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always keep my dog on the lead. He wouldn't come back if i let him off.
    He got set upon by two Doberman a few years ago. No owner in sight, they were just left to roam a field behind where i used to live. It was complete chaos, i was trying to get inbetween them & get my dog away and into our garden. I didn't swing any kicks (didn't want to pi$$ them off even more) but a few back heels gave us a bit of space to get in.
    I wouldn't want to give a dog a full on kick but depending on how vicious the attack is you have to do what you have to to get the dog off yours.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs should be kept on leads in public places.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you would be okay. A dog off a lead ran over barking and baring its teeth at my son years ago when he was little, and was sent away with its tail between its legs whining after being rapped hard over the head with my stick. The lady walking it was furious, but it was her own fault.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a hypothetically question, but I am getting sick of it happening and next time the kick might be a bit harder.

Does this happen regularly then with this particular dog attacking yours? Or do you mean other dogs in general are attacking yours?
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I would let my dog off the lead if I saw a dog coming at us. An encounter with one dog off the lead and one on is likely to cause a confrontation worse than if they were both loose.

Dogs are instinctive animals, there is going to be the occasional fracas when out and about. Most of it is posturing and noise. OP, you said the other dog was biting; how injured is your dog?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    OP, you said the other dog was biting; how injured is your dog?

Although he had his mouth wrapped around my dogs leg he did not have a chance to bite down. he was quickly shoved away.

I checked for any blood and there was none, he just felt sorry for himself for most of the remaining walk, softy......
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd stand away from the bitey dogs.In fact I'd run away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this happen regularly then with this particular dog attacking yours? Or do you mean other dogs in general are attacking yours?

Not the same dog.

I am getting sick of owners who cannot be arsed to keep their dogs on the lead when they have no control of them off the lead. Thery shout at their dogs to come back and they take no notice what so ever.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I am getting sick of owners who cannot be arsed to keep their dogs on the lead when they have no control of them off the lead. Thery shout at their dogs to come back and they take no notice what so ever.

FWIW, the relationship between dogs can be a rather complex heirarchical thing.

Obviously, there's never any excuse for a dog disobeying it's owner but it IS possible for an owner to be "caught out" when two dogs who simply decide they don't like each other meet for the first time.

My Labrador is 11 years old and she's honestly never been involved in any fights in her entire life.
    When she was young she'd bow her head and lower her tail and generally act more submissively.
    As she got older she became more and more confident until, now, she'll walk up to a 50kg Rottweiler with her tail stuck in the air and the Rottie will end up rolling over on his back and acting submissive toward her.

That's the way dogs normally act.

Thing is, as I said, my Spaniel is a cocky little shite. She's not at all aggressive but she just seems to assume all other dogs will treat her as an equal (possibly cos my Lab' does) and when they try to act dominant she gets frightened, the other dog picks up on the fear and then, sometimes, attacks her.
    All this happens in a couple of seconds but, if you watch carefully, you CAN see it happening.

Just saying that, as in my case, it IS possible that a person can have a dog that's usually well-behaved but some dogs just have a knack for annoying other dogs.

That's not meant as an insult towards your dog either BTW. :)