Radio 5 talks to Rachel, an Alcoholic

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anybody listen to Radio 5 yesterday, a woman, rachel phones in to talk about her problem, she's a doctor but is also a alcoholic who is about to go into a rehab clinic.

The most moving 20 minutes of radio I have ever listened to, especially when Victoria hears during the conversation that Rachel has just asked her husband if he could get her a drink, a can of guinness.

Radio 5

Comments

• BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Lass.
    Hope it works out well for her, you can feel her inner turmoil.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    It touched a raw nerve with me and made me cry.I hope shes ok , the fact that she herself has made the decision to get help means her chances of coming off go up massively. But I could feel her pain and fear and it brought it all back ( though it never quite goes away) .....I want to give her a hug.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried for her, too, and almost felt Victoria was wrong to draw attention to the fact that she was calling for a drink, though I suppose she wouldn't be doing her job if she hadn't.
    Earlier in the programme, a lady called in who had lost her brother due to alcohol, that was very moving, too.
    I thought it was a very powerful couple of hours of radio.
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link, a very good piece of radio.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It became apparent as it went on that VD was out of her depth talking to her. It was only her guest on the 'phone that saved the interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good piece of radio, but It became apparent as the interview went on that VD was getting out of her depth. It was only saved by her other guest on the 'phone.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be a bit of a cold fish as I wasn't moved by the interview at all. Had Rachel shared her reasons as to why she became an alcoholic, then I would be thinking differently. All I heard was, I'm an alcoholic and I spend my entire day thinking about my next drink. I can't say I don't have any sympathy for her, but I think an insight into Rachel's past would have been relevant before I could consider the interview emotionally moving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be a bit of a cold fish as I wasn't moved by the interview at all. Had Rachel shared her reasons as to why she became an alcoholic, then I would be thinking differently. All I heard was, I'm an alcoholic and I spend my entire day thinking about my next drink. I can't say I don't have any sympathy for her, but I think an insight into Rachel's past would have been relevant before I could consider the interview emotionally moving.

She said it started because she had depression.

I think anyone listening who might know her could easily work out who it was.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

There aren't always reasons. I am a recovering alcoholic and I don't have a reason as to why I became one. I just did.
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i listened as well and I had mixed feelings

i did feel sorry for her 6 yr old who she said knew about her alcohol probs, and felt how sad that a six year old has to know about those things :(

It was interesting though how when she was talking to Victoria she was all dull and down, yet when someone else came on to empathise, she became very animated and quite lively
  • King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you OP for posting - very moving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I alone in feeling a little uncomfortable with the cashing in on the subject again this morning?

I will admit I listened to the re run and VD's attempts to sound like what she thinks a counsellor sounds like were even worse second time around. What she thought sounded caring and respectful just came across as patronising and parental.

Asking 'Are you alright?' is never asked because no one has an answer to the reply that the lady gave of 'No, I am not alright'. The lady's delivery of that very answer showed what she thought of the question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard it on the radio this morning, when they repeated it.

It was a compelling piece of radio. I dont think i was as moved as I was supposed to be - hence the repititon of the piece for those of us who had missed out first time round ( radio 5 are obviously very pleased with themselves ) but it has obviously touched something with others, judging by the texts which were being read out, and I wish Rachael and her partner and family all the very best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Sad, and quite tragic. I hope she gets the help she needs.

Of course it would have been good to learn more about the background but how much can you cover, seriously , in 20 mins? VD handled it well, I thought.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she's not my doctor. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I hope she's not my doctor. :eek:

Doctors are the profession in which alcoholism is most rife, so if that lady is not your doctor, you've probably already been treated by an alcoholic. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought Dianne was excellent. So much for annonymity! - when she called her partners name to come to the phone - that should have been bleeped - I don't think she would have thought to use a false name for him in that moment. Wish her well tho!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being totally stupid in not being in on the scene and knowing who this lady is, as many on here seem to be?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting this. Alcoholism seems to run in the family, my nan and uncle were alcoholics and both died from alcohol abuse and my mum has an alcohol problem. I think it maybe that depression runs in the family and they just chose drink as their coping mechanism, i'm not sure. Because of my family history i'm terrified of becoming an alcoholic, I only allow myself to drink on special occasions like new years, birthdays etc

I felt really sorry for Rachel, she sounded so down and broken. :(
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exploitative as is the usual with 5live - derbyshire and nolan are the main guilty party in this respect .. milking it for as long as they can.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Doctors are the profession in which alcoholism is most rife, so if that lady is not your doctor, you've probably already been treated by an alcoholic. :)

I've a good friend who's a GP, and she told me that the point at which you should worry about your alcohol intake is when it excedes your doctor's intake.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    wendy09 wrote: »
    exploitative as is the usual with 5live - derbyshire and nolan are the main guilty party in this respect .. milking it for as long as they can.

Can't stand Stephen Nolan. He's an arrogant cock.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anybody listen to Radio 5 yesterday, a woman, rachel phones in to talk about her problem, she's a doctor but is also a alcoholic who is about to go into a rehab clinic.

The most moving 20 minutes of radio I have ever listened to, especially when Victoria hears during the conversation that Rachel has just asked her husband if he could get her a drink, a can of guinness.

Radio 5

Dont know why but that made me laugh, I hate it when VD puts on her caring voice and pretends she is concerned.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i do think some people are pre dispositioned to alcohol misuse. my nan was an alcoholic but her 3 other siblings were absolutely fine and her sister was a very nice lady who brought up 8 children.

my nans daughter (my mum) was an alcoholic as was one of her brothers but the other two brothers were absolutely fine.

moving down a generation i am teetotal (not anti alcohol) but my brother and sister are both drinkers - never worked etc My brother i'm not fond of but my sister is one of the nicest, funniest people you could wish to meet - i would describe her more of a binge drinker given she's able to abstain for periods of time - she's 55 this year and never had a family but her partner was also a binge drinker, unfortunately collapsed infront of her after a night out and apparently it wasnt a pretty sight with substances coming from his orifices - he was 65 :cry:

it breaks my heart seeing the youngsters of today drinking like they do - i just hope for the majority of them it's a phase that will pass.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurkalot wrote: »
    Dont know why but that made me laugh, I hate it when VD puts on her caring voice and pretends she is concerned.

I lol'ed as well.

No disrespect to people who battle alcoholism, but I wasn't moved by this interview at all. Rachel just sounded as if she slowly getting more off her face.

And then to cap it all, she requests anonymity, but shouts her husband live on air. Now, I wonder how many people know someone called John with a stammer who's wife is a doctor?

With Victoria Derbyshire's inane questions I had my head in my hands at that point.