What have the Conservatives got to be embarrassed about ?

tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
Forum Member
✭✭
The Conservative party has deleted all their speeches etc from 2000 - 2010 from their website and hidden everything from search engines, I wonder why ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24924185

Comments

• DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I actually think its a sensible move and one that all political parties should follow.

These sites are designed to get over current thoughts and policies, they are not designed as an archive of everything a party has ever said or done
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas I'm wondering why the same question wasn't put to Labour when they removed all their material going back to 2010. October 2010 to be precise.

The earliest item from the news archive on Labour's site? Ed Miliband's conference speech in 2010.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Computer Weekly said the effect of the changes was "as alarming as sending Men in Black to strip history books from a public library and burn them in the car park".

God, does this guy post on here - talk about hyperbole..:D:D
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Whereas I'm wondering why the same question wasn't put to Labour when they removed all their material going back to 2010. October 2010 to be precise.

Its also full of hyperbole, they didnt 'erase it from the internet archive', they simply changed their robots.txt to stop the webcrawlers indexing the pages which deletes the archive pages by default.

I'm 63 and not involved in tech other than paying for a website for my own business and I can manage to understand that, what the hell is the author on an actual tech website doing writing such nonsense.

I'd also think the answer as to why they removed them was the obvious contradictions in what they are doing since taking office and what cameron and osbourne were saying for the preceding 5 years.

Which is likely the same reason labour removed theirs.

In short, politicians are duplicitous scumbags who think everyone has short memories and removing the lies and bullcrap means they can get away with more.

Its not news, and the story itself, as I said, is misleading.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm- I wonder as well. VERY sinister move...
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    It's poor on both parties. It would be refreshing to hear a politician say "Well, I used to think x, but now more evidence/information/thinking has come to light, I now think y". I have no issue with politicians changing their minds, but this smacks of the "I think y. I have always thought y. I have never thought x" approach

But of course, that would require politicians prepared to use evidence not ideology to make decisions.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame on those who ridiculed anyone who dared question the authenticity of the propaganda the Tories were pushing out.

Many people knew what they were really like and what they were really up to.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably all to do with Camerons "New era of
    transparency"

David Cameron: We are creating a new era of transparency
    The Prime Minister David Cameron says the Government's release of official data will change the way we use our public services.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8621560/David-Cameron-We-are-creating-a-new-era-of-transparency.html
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The earliest item from the news archive on Labour's site? Ed Miliband's conference speech in 2010.

Maybe you should have asked the question at the time.

A possible explanation though could be put down to Labour starting afresh from when EM became leader.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they have lied through their rotton teeth fir decades.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    The Conservative party has deleted all their speeches etc from 2000 - 2010 from their website and hidden everything from search engines, I wonder why ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24924185

Frankly its typical of right wing politicians - if recorded history doesn't fit - simply re-write it - we have seen it before haven't we?
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly its typical of right wing politicians - if recorded history doesn't fit - simply re-write it - we have seen it before haven't we?
    The left wing are pretty good at doing this as well. It would seem that authoritarians do not like history. Well only their version of it.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

Most recently with Labour trying to pretend 1997 - 2010 didn't happen and was just a bad dream :rolleyes:
  • Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Shame on those who ridiculed anyone who dared question the authenticity of the propaganda the Tories were pushing out.

Many people knew what they were really like and what they were really up to.

Pathetic rubbish as per usual
  • Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will_bun wrote: »
    Because they have lied through their rotton teeth fir decades.

Yet more informed and incisive comment
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it was done as a way of 'hiding their past' at all. Everyone knows that the speeches will be archived somewhere else, as political bloggers etc always take their own copies of any speech by a political leader, chancellor, home sec etc.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They want people to forget the various things they've said- like Gideon telling us to judge him on his ability to keep the AAA rating.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not surprised and I don't particularly blame them.

If I want to dig around what they were saying in opposition why on earth would they want to help me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Democracy is about us voting people into power and then holding them to the promises they made.

Extreme attempts to wipe history, political accountability, in this way should be viewed on with horror.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Democracy is about us voting people into power and then holding them to the promises they made.

Extreme attempts to wipe history, political accountability, in this way should be viewed on with horror.

I can only imagine what the Tories would be saying if Labour had done something similar!
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I can only imagine what the Tories would be saying if Labour had done something similar!

:rolleyes:

You don't have to imagine anything. Go look at the Labour site (and post #3). They erased everything up to October 2010.

Should we be viewing that with horror as well? Should we be questioning the nature of democracy and giving rise to hyperbole along the lines of "extreme attempts to wipe history etc."? Or should we just be grateful that a whole pile of rubbish has been summarily expunged from the web?

Or maybe, because it's Labour, it's OK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't have to imagine anything. Go look at the Labour site (and post #3). They erased everything up to October 2010. Should we be viewing that with horror as well? Should we be questioning the nature of democracy and giving rise to hyperbole along the lines of "extreme attempts to wipe history etc."? Or should we just be grateful that a whole pile of rubbish has been summarily expunged from the web?

They're not in government are they?

How can they be held account for policies they never had a chance of delivering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

Oh, it would have been made a far bigger story than this has for sure. The right wing press would have been onto it for weeks.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

You don't have to imagine anything. Go look at the Labour site (and post #3). They erased everything up to October 2010.

Should we be viewing that with horror as well? Should we be questioning the nature of democracy and giving rise to hyperbole along the lines of "extreme attempts to wipe history etc."? Or should we just be grateful that a whole pile of rubbish has been summarily expunged from the web?

Or maybe, because it's Labour, it's OK?

If you were Labour wouldn't you do the same ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I actually think its a sensible move and one that all political parties should follow.

These sites are designed to get over current thoughts and policies, they are not designed as an archive of everything a party has ever said or done

I disagree.

I think it important that people are aware of what a governing party promised it would do just a few years ago, in relation to their ticket to current election.