Time travel and time loop films

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourites not mentioned is 'Somewhere In Time' with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

Also, another vote for 'Time After Time' in which HG Wells goes after Jack The Ripper in present day San Francisco!

I mentioned 'Somewhere in Time' on page 1, with reference to Richard Matheson the writer.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    You're not the only one, but the fun lies with seeing whether the film could make it work or plausible.

I agree entirely. The twist in Predestination did become quite obvious midway through the film but it didn't really make it any less of a headf**k :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favourites not mentioned is 'Somewhere In Time' with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

Also, another vote for 'Time After Time' in which HG Wells goes after Jack The Ripper in present day San Francisco!

Both of those are my favourites. They are a great double bill to watch together.
  • SeverianSeverian Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    'Slaughterhouse Five' - based on the novel by Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069280/

The concept of someone becoming 'unstuck in time', as the main character in this story does, was first explored in his novel 'Sirens of Titan'. Unfortunately this book was never, as far as I know, made into a film. Which is a pity, if only because in it he coined the phrase 'chrono-synclastic infundibulum'.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just came up on my FB Feed so will post here to
    http://io9.com/every-time-travel-movie-ever-ranked-1682363164
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Night of the Following Day". Not SF but I can't really describe it without spoiling it, other than to say Marlon Brando's in it.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw Project Almanac.

First class sci-fi film.

Not the most original story line but very fast paced.A bit Blair Witch Project meets The Time Machine.

Really recommend if you like time travel movies.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member

One of my favourites too. In fact I've just bought the Dvd again as I lost my copy in a move.

Another favourite of mine is About Time.

Frequency was mentioned a while back. Great film. Would definitely recommend that and The Philadelphia Experiment (the original from 1984) not the remakes.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timecrimes. Primer, if you want your head to explode.

Looper was doing ok, could have been alittle more cyberpunk, until the ending. The ending was a massive copout to me.

I loved Timecrimes, thought it was excellent.
    Forum Member
    Jumper (more about teleportation than actual time travel) and not the best film I've seen either. Would only rate it about 5/10

Has any one mentioned The Time Machine the original 1960's film with Rod Taylor? Much better than the remake IMO. 7.5/10
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned about time. ..With Rachel mcadams ans bill nighy. .much more gentle and almost tongue in cheek approach to time travel. .but as the film moves on is quite emotional. .really enjoy this film.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a tv movie which use to pop up on channel 5 now & again called "For All Time" which starred Mark Harmon.For a tv movie it's actually not too bad.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Seen a couple recently that weren't too bad

Predestination

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

Time Lapse

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2669336/
    Loved Predestination and really enjoyed Time Lapse.

I have a peculiar fondness for Timescape (1992) - also known as Grand Tour: Disaster in Time, nothing special but I just like it. Perhaps because Jeff Daniels is in it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104362/

Mr. Nobody (2009) starring Jared Leto is one I could never get my head around, both times I watched it! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Is it time travel though?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    There is a tv movie which use to pop up on channel 5 now & again called "For All Time" which starred Mark Harmon.For a tv movie it's actually not too bad.
    Was just looking at the IMDB page, it was based on a Rod Serling episode of The Twilight Zone apparently (A Stop at Willoughby).
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »

I like Mark Harmon so was pleased to find the film on Youtube :)

On IMDB its ranked 7.8/10. I think you can all guess what I will be watching over the weekend.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for keep adding more films for me to watch. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned about time. ..With Rachel mcadams ans bill nighy. .much more gentle and almost tongue in cheek approach to time travel. .but as the film moves on is quite emotional. .really enjoy this film.

I liked that film too,even if the way they time travelled was a little unbelievable!

I also like the TV series Crime Traveller from the 90s with Michael French,Sue Johnston and Kochanski from Red Dwarf.

I recently rewatched a couple of episodes on YouTube and it really hasn't aged too badly.

I remember being pretty gutted when the BBC scrapped it after one series!
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time Bandits
    Field of Dreams
    The Jacket
    Mr Peabody and Sherman
    Jacob's Ladder
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meet the Robinsons 2007 has come up in google search & not in the thread sounds an Ok film to.
    Also
    Minutemen (TV Movie 2008)
    &
    THE BLUE YONDER 1985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Time Bandits
    Field of Dreams
    The Jacket
    Mr Peabody and Sherman
    Jacob's Ladder

:D I never thought of that!

Slightly out of place with the other films mentioned, it was actually quite an enjoyable film!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Mr. Nobody (2009) starring Jared Leto is one I could never get my head around, both times I watched it! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Is it time travel though?

I haven't seen it, but from what I've read it sounded more of a parallel universe type deal.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    :D I never thought of that!

Slightly out of place with the other films mentioned, it was actually quite an enjoyable film!

yeah I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. Certainly one of the better kids films in recent years and the science was interesting if not entirely accurate.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am seeking the following time travel films if i can get them

TIME FLIES 1944,I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU 1951,CAVEGIRL 1985, 1201 1993,TIMECHASERS 1994,TEEN KNIGHT 1999, FOR ALL TIME 2000.

i tried youtube but ether was not there or they have a copyright restriction. also could not find on amazon. although there are TT films on there which all very in price. i wanted to get a collection on dvd. according to wiki the earlyest TT film dates back to 1921 but the books on TT go back further to 1733.