• Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Have they stopped paying benefits ?....No
    Have they stopped funding the NHS and education ?...No
    Have they stopped paying Old age pensions....No
    Have they had to service a massive debt left by Labour....Yes

Well they stop paying benefits? No but they will probably drastically cut them
    Will they stop funding the NHS and education? Probably not education but they will bit by bit take apart the NHS and sell it to private companies
    Will they stop paying old age pensions? No as they seem to think pensioners need to be protected all the while making others on benefits suffer
    Have they borrowed double what labour borrows? YES
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    How much has the Minimum wage gone up under the Tories? When it came out nearly 18 years ago it was around £3.50 an hour and the person who originally drew up its formulas was saying a year or two ago that it should have been up to £20 an hour by now. I not sure if he was saying that because the Minimum wage should have gone up in line with the cost of living or in general but I supsect it was supposed to go up with in line with the real cost of living which is astronomical.

The Tories aren't going to get rid of zero hour contracts, David Cameron proved that in the debates on Thursday night as he was moaning, getting angry even with Ed Miliband who does want to do something about it.

The Tories have also increased the time people have to work for an employer before they can sue for unfair dismissal from 1 year to 2 years. They did that when they were in Government last time too in the 1980's and 90's and anyone wanting to sue an employer for unfair dismissal have to pay a thousand pounds payment first. The Tories bought that in to try and put people off from suing! So much for the Tories being on the people's/workers side huh?! :confused: >:(@ them!

As for the raising of the personal tax allowance, the Tories have also increased VAT to 20%, they've cut tax credits, bought in the bedroom tax but not the Mansion Tax (!) and have cut all sorts of benefits including for disabled people! Do you think people on the Minimum wage can afford to live independently? Buy or rent a house? Raise a family? I think you'll find the answers to be no way, not on their own.

I forgot to mention in my post above that the Tories have also increased National Insurance for employees and the self employed but didn't put it up for employers! NI is now 12% I believe instead of 11% like it used to be so that's another example of how the increase in the personal income tax allowance has been clawed back by increasing other taxes or benefit/tax credits being cut from the lower paid while the highest earners got a 5% tax cut!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Why do Tories try and defend food banks by saying "we allowed their advertisement in Job centres"

Do they even know about food banks in the first place?

"What is one of these food banks? Does one pay a subscription like one does to The Tatler and do they serve quail eggs?"
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they even know about food banks in the first place?

Although i am no fool and dont think labour will remove food banks over night, the fact we have a government who seems to accept food banks and wont do anything about them, its quite shocking.

However because lots of Tory voters are "I'm OK Jack" they dont give a stuff about this, or the plight of people who have to use these to survive.

What kind of country do we live when we have come to this?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However because lots of Tory voters are "I'm OK Jack" they dont give a stuff about this, or the plight of people who have to use these to survive.

I am sure Maggie Thatcher's eyes would be glowing red in delight.

She set out to create this sort of 'me, me, me' mentality. She certainly got it, it seems.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I am sure Maggie Thatcher's eyes would be glowing red in delight.

She set out to create this sort of 'me, me, me' mentality. She certainly got it, it seems.

If it had been a few decades ago, I doubt too many people would have been turning up at food banks in cars and carrying mobile phones, so she and others would certainly have had reason to reflect on the changes in society in the years since. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Just be cause a business is doing well it really doesn't mean that it 'trickles down' - it's often doing well because the staff are working for low wages so the money isn't going back to the people - more often going into off shore bank accounts and foreign holidays/properties.

I work for a SME and money DOES trickle down I can assure you.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member

What after a 100 years? Companies are reported to be sitting on about a Trillion pounds of money for years now but they won't spend it in any way, not on paying people more on on opening new outlets as they are waiting for the people to start spending more. The people aren't spending more ( or not enough more) because they aren't getting paid enough and or aren't given enough hours at work. See the vicious circle here?
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    What after a 100 years? Companies are reported to be sitting on about a Trillion pounds of money for years now but they won't spend it in any way, not on paying people more on on opening new outlets as they are waiting for the people to start spending more. The people aren't spending more ( or enough more like) because they aren't getting paid enough and or aren't given enough hours at work. See the vicious circle here?

Spot on. When people are living hand to mouth, don't know if they'll be earning from day to day (zero hours contracts) and have already experienced redundancy, or know someone who has, they're not going to be spending. Then we have so many on rock bottom wages they pay little or no tax. Then we have all those who have had their homes repossessed and are paying sky high rents (supply and demand).

Still as long as the comfortably off believe that poverty is a matter of choice, of not trying hard enough, and that the conservatives are doing a sterling job (for them), nothing will change.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone suggested they did the first three?

As for the last one, read my lips.... Global economic crisis.

Read my lips.
    Borrowed far too much to provide far too many jobs in the public sector.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although i am no fool and dont think labour will remove food banks over night, the fact we have a government who seems to accept food banks and wont do anything about them, its quite shocking.

If they win the election I doubt if any will close at all
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they stopped paying benefits ?....No
    Have they stopped funding the NHS and education ?...No
    Have they stopped paying Old age pensions....No
    Have they had to service a massive debt left by Labour....Yes

Cameron has done about 40 U turns since he's been in power, including those in your list.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read my lips.
    Borrowed far too much to provide far too many jobs in the public sector.

Any explanation for why the tory led coalition has doubled borrowing? At the same time as cutting almost a million public sector jobs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

Why do you doubt that? Bias? Negativity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Evidence? Forgive me if I don't take your word for it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

You can be sure if the Tories form any sort of administration after May, many more will need to open.

I wonder how many Welwyn Garden boasts.... Something else for Shapps to turn his nose up at.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cameron has done about 40 U turns since he's been in power, including those in your list.
    I would prefer a U turn to ploughing on regardless.
    Any explanation for why the tory led coalition has doubled borrowing? At the same time as cutting almost a million public sector jobs?

When a massive chunk of the money you get in has to go on paying the interest on debts it becomes a very difficult balancing act.
  • Options
    beth0o0beth0o0 Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When hell freezes over.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    No - I will not be voting for Cameron - I have no confidence in politicians that lie constantly.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ramesh-patel/growth-cameron-austerity_b_2007552.html?1428057164
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    No - I will not be voting for Cameron - I have no confidence in politicians that lie constantly.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ramesh-patel/growth-cameron-austerity_b_2007552.html?1428057164

Thanks for that.

It's frightening just how easily people are manipulated into believing lies if they are repeated often enough and convincingly (and of course if you speak nicely and appear intelligent).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So Cameron is exposed again as a liar... no change there then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

It's frightening just how easily people are manipulated into believing lies if they are repeated often enough and convincingly (and of course if you speak nicely and appear intelligent).

Very true. I hope Miliband and Farage use this to their advantage and again tear into Chicken Run Cameron.
  • Options
    jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Nope, don't have the option here :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    When I say dependency I don't necessarily mean unemployment benefit.

What we have is an eternal love fest between the Tories and Labour where one is the giver and the other the taker. It needs breaking to get change. Vote for either party and you get more of the same.

You are wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the title says. Seems the best option to stick with what we have. Anybody agree?
    Know one with any sense would vote for the `Bacon Sarnie Kid`