Am I being a snob?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
Forum Member
I work with a couple of girls, sisters in fact, who I’ve worked with for a couple of years. We all get along fine in work but we have absolutely nothing in common outside of work. Our backgrounds are very different I’ve had for want of a better word ‘a quiet life’, where they have been what I could describe as nonstop drama. I’m very shy and hate confrontation and I find both of them very confrontational and constantly seem to get into fights verbal and physical with family and friends which seems to always end in the police being called .I also find on occasion they can use language that I personally find very offensive such as the occasional racist comment. Although they don’t say this to everyone, probably only to me as I’m too scared to tell them I find it offensive. I can’t think any other way to describe them but as ‘a bit rough’.
So just recently they asked me if I wanted to go out for a drink with them. Every weekend they go out and basically get drunk and always seem to end up in a fight or some argument with someone. So for starters I’m not a drinker which I have told them but they always make a joke of and say something along the lines ‘don’t worry we’ll get you drunk’ But also even if by some miracle it is a just a few drinks the bars they go to are known as no go pubs. I don’t think I could stand sitting there listening to racist comments and nonstop arguments. Another work colleague who had been out with them in the past confirmed this.
Without sounding a bit pathetic I can’t seem to find the nerve to tell them I really don’t want to go out with.
Or am I just being a snob?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You really don't want to get involved with alcoholics.
  • tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say you're being a snob. They sound horrific. You don't want to go out socially with racist thugs, so don't go.

Just thank them for their invitation but tell them you are going to a party/cinema/dinner/theatre and can't go. Repeat every time they ask you to go. They'll soon get bored with asking you.
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you're not being a snob, they don't sound the most pleasant of people!
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think your a snob, when they ask you again just polietly turn them down, say you have family coming round, or you are going out for a meal somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    You're not being a snob - they sounds like dicks. Just keep declining politely. They'll give up!
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you're' not being a snob - you're being sensible.
  • Miss HydeMiss Hyde Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    No you are not being a snob most ppl would find those kinds of ppl "RAF"
  • tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Hyde wrote: »
    No you are not being a snob most ppl would find those kinds of ppl "RAF"
    RAF?:confused:
  • Miss HydeMiss Hyde Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    tenorlady wrote: »
    RAF?:confused:

"rough as fuucck" aka chavs :)
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disapproving of racist comments, foul language and drunken behaviour is far from being snobbish!!!

As for the invitation just tell them 'thanks for asking....but no thanks'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Just read this, no your not being a snob, If i were you I wouldn't get involved to be honest don't sound like the best bunch of people...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't think your bring a snob. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No your not being a snob.

Just keep politely declining when they offer.

If they want to try and make plans for a time when your free, then I'm not sure how you could politely decline, but if you don't want to go - don't.

:)