Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i'm not surprised. it's ridiculous.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only is it ridiculous, it's an insult!
    Forum Member
    and ugly
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same f*cking phone they released a year ago!
    Forum Member
    ^ but slightly thicker

this one has been ergonomically designed with extra thickness. all other phones are obsolete because they are the incorrect thickness.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I knew it would be bad, but that's shocking. Looks like "the kids" just aren't interested. :o
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Rarely has any company deserved such bad news quite so much as Apple right now. Maybe Joe Public is finally seeing through their p*ss take marketing approach. I guess it was always a poisoned chalice (same as Moyles taking over at Man Utd) in the sense that taking over a massively successful company (Apple have cash reserves in excess of those held the US Govt!) from a legendary figure has little upside but Cook's days are surely numbered..aren't they? Especially when you consider he is the highest paid CEO in the world...
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    in the sense that taking over a massively successful company (Apple have cash reserves in excess of those held the US Govt!) from a legendary figure has little upside but Cook's days are surely numbered..aren't they? Especially when you consider he is the highest paid CEO in the world...

I agree that Cooks days should be numbered, but quoting Wikipedia claims of his being the highest paid CEO in the world .... sorry, but thats wrong.

He hasn't actually been paid $378 million - thats the value of the shares.

His actual salary doesn't even put him in the top 100 paid CEOs in the world. But iirc, it was the same for Steve Jobs ... difference being that Apple were a different company under Jobs. He was the heart of Apple.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    I agree that Cooks days should be numbered, but quoting Wikipedia claims of his being the highest paid CEO in the world .... sorry, but thats wrong.

He hasn't actually been paid $378 million - thats the value of the shares.

His actual salary doesn't even put him in the top 100 paid CEOs in the world. But iirc, it was the same for Steve Jobs ... difference being that Apple were a different company under Jobs. He was the heart of Apple.

Why would you ignore the shares he's basically been given when calculating his remuneration? :confused: Are you saying, for instance, that a CEO at another company earning a bigger annual salary that doesn't include any free shares/options is higher paid?

PS I wasn't using wiki, my info came from the 'unable to be edited by random internet users' Wall Street Journal article. ;)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304019404577416790548164260.html
    Steve Jobs left big shoes. Apple Inc. is betting $378 million that Tim Cook is the right guy to fill them.

Hmmm...value for money so far? He could reduce the share price by 50% during his time at the helm, get the elbow and still be a very very rich man. And STILL be the highest paid CEO ever. Madness.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This...
    Some networks are blaming the iPhone 5C's £469 price tag, which is just £80 less than the premium and more powerful iPhone 5S.

..did surprise me I must admit. I would have expect more of a difference between them myself, but then I'm not a corporate guru :p
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    As much as i would never own an apple product there was a certain distinguishing element to them under Jobs, this phone just shows to me that all that has been lost.

I would be amazed if people want to be seen with this phone.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised the 5c isn't selling well. It's pretty much the same as last years model.

5 vs 5s comparison would have been more interesting but they aren't doing pre-orders this year. Plus the usual rumours of supply constraints (be they real or artificial) etc.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    But this is better than what they normally do.
    If we didn't have the 5c we would just have 5s, 5 and 4s like they always have done.
    Whether you like the colours or not, they have at least upgraded it with new LTE 800 & 2600 frequencies.
    What's the big problem. If you don't like the plastic and the colours just get a 5s.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    This...

..did surprise me I must admit. I would have expect more of a difference between them myself, but then I'm not a corporate guru :p

Its the networks fault imho. Apples upfront on contract cost is $100 less than the iPhone 5 which to me suggests the sim free price is priced to please the networks by driving contract sales leaving the 5S for the sim free users.

The networks however (especially in the UK) seem to be over charging for the contracts rather than offering it for more competaive contacts.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Its the networks fault imho. Apples upfront on contract cost is $100 less than the iPhone 5 which to me suggests the sim free price is priced to please the networks by driving contract sales leaving the 5S for the sim free users.

The networks however (especially in the UK) seem to be over charging for the contracts rather than offering it for more competaive contacts.

Completely agree with that 5C is one of the most expensive devices on contract at the moment. No idea how much 5S will be but can't expect it be reasonable.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised. You have an iconic product, you then launch something that looks a bit cheap and tacky in competition. The big surprise is that's it's only slightly cheaper than your original model that has also been updated. Even young people have taste you know, they aren't fooled by a nice pastel coloured plastic case..well, not many of them anyway.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone can comment on the 5c until they've held it in their hand.
    It may well be plasticy and tacky but since Ive designed it, I very much doubt it.
    They wanted a version that was colourful and fun, targeted at a specific demographic.
    That is what they've done.
    Also it was never meant to be cheap. Cook said so himself. It was all speculation and the rumour snowballed.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Had a play with the 5C today. Is certainly plastic bit it does feel great in the hand
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Also it was never meant to be cheap. Cook said so himself. It was all speculation and the rumour snowballed.

I do think it is supposed to be 'cheap' despite them playing it down but at the contract level not the sim-free hardware level. Its half the price for the networks after all so there is room for them to offer competitive contracts
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Had a play with the 5C today. Is certainly plastic bit it does feel great in the hand

So as i said. Got to play around with a 5C today.

It feels very similar to the HTC One X on the back but does feel ever so slightly premium and has a very good grip to it like the iPhone 5. The front is the exact same as the iPhone 5. You can see a slight gap around the front of the handset where the plastic back meets the front. It is very flush with the front of the handset though.

Like i said, feels really sturdy and well built and good grip in the hand. Turned it on and had a play. iOS7 is a bit bright for me tbh.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/5c_zps404a7d45.jpg
    Taken at local EE store.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    So as i said. Got to play around with a 5C today.

It feels very similar to the HTC One X on the back but does feel ever so slightly premium and has a very good grip to it like the iPhone 5. The front is the exact same as the iPhone 5. You can see a slight gap around the front of the handset where the plastic back meets the front. It is very flush with the front of the handset though.

Like i said, feels really sturdy and well built and good grip in the hand. Turned it on and had a play. iOS7 is a bit bright for me tbh.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/5c_zps404a7d45.jpg
    Taken at local EE store.

Does it feel worth £470?
    Forum Member
    Does it feel worth £470?

I only really got to play with it for about 2 mins. Saw it get opened and go through set up. Feels just like any other iPhone in terms of software. Like I said, feels similar to my old HTC One X in terms of the back plastic.

Hard to say what its worth. Its basically an iPhone 5 with a plastic back...
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm...value for money so far? He could reduce the share price by 50% during his time at the helm, get the elbow and still be a very very rich man. And STILL be the highest paid CEO ever. Madness.

Stock is about 25% higher now than it was when he took over in October 2011.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    But this is better than what they normally do.
    If we didn't have the 5c we would just have 5s, 5 and 4s like they always have done.
    Whether you like the colours or not, they have at least upgraded it with new LTE 800 & 2600 frequencies.
    What's the big problem. If you don't like the plastic and the colours just get a 5s.

There is no problem.

Some people just love writing bad copy about Apple.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Stock is about 25% higher now than it was when he took over in October 2011.

50% lower than a year ago when the remaining Jobs legacy evaporated