Why aren't people at the South Pole upside down?

13»

Comments

• Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pad wrote:
    The direction of a loop-the-loop in space is determined by the orientation of the spacecraft at the moment the loop-the-loop starts.
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why spaceships normally have a distinctly visible 'right way up'. It's to make sure that people watching can figure out what you are doing (and be suitably impressed).
    Though pity the pilot who forgets that when they are upside-down, 'up' is still in the same place, i.e. above the cockpit...

This is clearly one of the design principles of a Borg Cube. A cube has no clearly visible 'up' or 'down', and hence provides an immense tactical advantage simply by existing in a confusing manner. Unless I missed the episode where they showed the big arrows and wine-glass/umbrella stickers :D

As regards earth (stopping) and gravity (switching off), I think the words people are looking for probably include 'velocity' (NB not the bicycle shop), 'acceleration', 'momentum' and 'tangent'.
  • padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the first thing the United Federation of Planet did was was come up with a universal declaration of "This Way Up" for space flight. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your contribution to my post. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    i feel kinda dizzy now.!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    metafis wrote:
    Because the force they exert is counteracted by the force of their body pushing downwards. Newtons law of motion I think.

When they lift a weight, theirr feet are pushing on the ground with the same force, not pushing on the weight. in a bucket, their feet are pushing down on the bucket with the same force.

try this
    sit in a chair, with your feet off the ground.
    Grip the chair by the seat and try to lift, youll be aware of your bottom pushing down on the chair with the same force you are using to try to lift it.
    Thank you for a concise and intelligent reply :)
    I was tempted to ask, " What if you drilled holes in the bucket to make it lighter ?" but your answer makes so much sense that I will desist :)