Options

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
Forum Member
✭✭
Somehow, I've only managed to play my first ever Zelda game recently with the brilliant Wind Waker HD which I got free with my MK8 and now I want to go back and play some of the other games.

Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS is top of my list, but why am I having so much trouble getting hold of the game? Has it started to go out of print or something in the UK?

When I looked on Amazon. co.uk this morning it was listed at £39.99 which is a fairly steep price for a 3 year old game and the same price as the downloadable eShop version (which is usually much more expensive than if bought anywhere else). Then I looked over on Amazon. com where it was listed at $39.99 which equates £23.50. Why is the game almost half the price on Amazon in the US?

£39.99 was pretty steep, but I have seen worse... but I've just gone on Amazon now and they no longer seem to be selling the game at all. It can only be bought by independent sellers with the cheapest new game being a whopping £65!
It's the same story over on Play. com and GAME.

Why is a game (and a popular one at that) from 2011 in such short supply over here in the UK? I was able to pick up Twilight Princess from Amazon for the decent price of £18 (including postage) and it was released almost 8 years ago.

EDIT: Reading this post, I've asked loads of questions and it looks like I'm demanding answers. Apologies for that, but any suggestions which could shed some light on the matter would be appreciated, be they speculation or not.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing it has something to do with it being part of Zelda's 25th anniversary year, if it even was? Because they had a special edition of Four Swords that year for DSi only, but now that's no longer available.

So it could have stopped print due to being a special edition. It did sell well enough though, that it shouldn't be so steep in price with regards to availability. I'll have a look around!

Wind Waker is fantastic, definitely in my joint top three. I'd recommend Twilight Princess (Wii) but you already for that one. Then a virtual console (Wii mode) download of Majora's mask. I think that's even my all time favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoralink wrote: »
    I'm guessing it has something to do with it being part of Zelda's 25th anniversary year, if it even was? Because they had a special edition of Four Swords that year for DSi only, but now that's no longer available.

I initially thought that, but it doesn't explain why it's still readily available in the US.

Wind Waker is fantastic, definitely in my joint top three. I'd recommend Twilight Princess (Wii) but you already for that one.

Twilight Princess always looked good to me, but I've heard it's sort of a spiritual sequel to Ocarina of Time so if possible, I'd like to play it OoT first.
    Then a virtual console (Wii mode) download of Majora's mask. I think that's even my all time favourite.

Not possible. The Wii eShop is dead. It was disconnected along with Nintendo WiFi connection back in May. I'll have to wait until Majora's Mask is remade for the 3DS which is something most people believe will happen.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Not possible. The Wii eShop is dead. It was disconnected along with Nintendo WiFi connection back in May.

That's incorrect, WiiShop is still around with plenty of titles available and that includes all the released Virtual Console N64 titles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    That's incorrect, WiiShop is still around with plenty of titles available and that includes all the released Virtual Console N64 titles.

Really? That's fantastic. I thought it closed with the rest of the Wii's online and I could have sworn I accidentally clicked on it recently and it failed to connect; must've just been my internet.

I have almost 6000 Club Nintendo stars so I'll definitely be able to get an N64 Game for free.
    The thing is, I don't know whether I should play Majora's Mask on the VC or wait until a slightly better looking remake is released.

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't even consider that maybe Nintendo had spared the Wii's eShop. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Of course they kept that. It's very profitable for them! Whereas keeping up their wifi connection is too costly. (Well it's not so straightforward, the company providing the server for such things ended their contract or something).

Anyway I had a look round my local town, new, preowned and at charity shops etc.

I found a preowned copy in CEX for £30 and the same in game for £33 but no new copies. So odd!
  • Options
    seamasterseamaster Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I bought a 3DS XL recently and ran into the same issue. I just downloaded it from the e-shop. For the amount of hours of seminal gaming you're going to get out of it, it's worth every penny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The game seems to be back in stock in Amazon for a respectable £33. It was obviously just a temporary stock shortage (nowhere else other than Amazon seem to have it though, strangely).
    However, I managed to find a digital version for £32 on GAME despite the fact they don't seem to be selling physical copies anymore. So I'm happy. :)
  • Options
    seamasterseamaster Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I've gone completely digital with the 3DS. Bought a cheap 32GB SD card and have been downloading the titles I want to play. Given the paucity of decent titles on the shelves at retail, and the fact that physical media seems like such an anachronism, I think it's the way to go. There are also some great titles, current and pending, that are digital only (e.g. the forthcoming Phoenix Wright Trilogy). And it's just so much more convenient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    this thread was really helpful got my problems of the hook from me
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    The 3DS version is brilliant. I was surprised when I bought it as I don't have much time on my hands these days. But I'd play it going to meetings and whatnot and eventually found myself going home and playing it at home! It's a brilliant port of possibly the best game ever.