Martin Fowlers speech

Ste_Murray1Ste_Murray1 Posts: 177
Forum Member
He mentioned Mark, Arthur, and Ian mentioned Michelle in his speech so why wasn't Pauline mentioned? it seemed like a bit of a snub from the EE producers and writers

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did mention his parents. He said they'd be in Heaven fighting over who makes the tea.

I half expected Todd Carty to rock up at the end of that speech when Martin was talking about how much he misses Mark. This is DTC after all.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "And I know mum and dad will be up there arguing over who's going to make tea."

They did. Plus, Pauline was mentioned in Peggy and Sharon's scene last week.
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline was mentioned in Martin's speech she was also mentioned during Peggy and Stacey's conversation last week (Monday 16th of May episode) as well:

Peggy: "A Fowler marrying a Slater, can't imagine what Pauline would make of that."
    Stacey: "Well, Dot reckons she'd be spinning in her grave."
  • Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that he mentioned Mark! I wish Todd Carty had stayed a little bit longer. He was such a good character you know. Maybe boring at times but a really decent bloke. I think this version of Martin is actually a lot like Mark.
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Surely Martin should have mentioned Peggy in his speech seeing as she left money behind the bar for his stag do and also Stacey nearly cancelled the whole wedding due to Peggy's death. Would have been nice of Martin to raise a toast to Peggy in her honour and memory. Maybe Stacey or Ian could have even said a few words about her?
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo Rose wrote: »
    I loved that he mentioned Mark! I wish Todd Carty had stayed a little bit longer. He was such a good character you know. Maybe boring at times but a really decent bloke. I think this version of Martin is actually a lot like Mark.

I agree but a version with aa better personality while still possessing the same sort of everyman qualities and being from the same family.

I think that Belinda is fulfilling a similar sort of role for the Slaters. Kat but without all the emotional baggage and that dolt she calls a husband. It's a win/win situation.
  • Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I love how Belinda has just slotted in perfectly.
  • Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great speech and loved the references to the past Fowler family!
  • Dan4Dan4 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this = Mark Jnr is returning....
  • MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan4 wrote: »
    Surely this = Mark Jnr is returning....

I would think so! if Bobby does get sent down (please God) and Jane written out ( disability /rehabilitation /jail. - Please send her to jail) they might decide they need to build up the Fowler clan again and so mark jr appears. Just in time to meet daddy dearest too......
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Bye was great again .
  • Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think so! if Bobby does get sent down (please God) and Jane written out ( disability /rehabilitation /jail. - Please send her to jail) they might decide they need to build up the Fowler clan again and so mark jr appears. Just in time to meet daddy dearest too......

The Fowlers need building up again anyway. The 3 we have (Martin, Stacey and Rebecca) is an improvement on where we were 3 years ago, but I'd like to see more. I know you'll all hate it, but they should get Stacey to have twins with Martin (twins seems to be a Slater thing) and just get the whole thing over and done with.
  • Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like James Bye but sometimes it feels like a totally different character to the old Martin played by James Alexandrou. Someone mentioned tonight Ben, Stacey and Bobby all standing around the Square in one scene and they have all killed someone and then I remembered Martin technically killed Jamie Mitchell, but it feels like two different characters.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like James Bye but sometimes it feels like a totally different character to the old Martin played by James Alexandrou. Someone mentioned tonight Ben, Stacey and Bobby all standing around the Square in one scene and they have all killed someone and then I remembered Martin technically killed Jamie Mitchell, but it feels like two different characters.

James Bye has progressed the character which James Alexandrou was just not capable of doing. He really has breathed life into a legacy character. It took time as James Bye had to come in and play in Martin in the limited way he was previously. Martin is a favourite of mine now.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Bye was great again .

He was. I'm surprised at how much I like Martin these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    James Bye has progressed the character which James Alexandrou was just not capable of doing. He really has breathed life into a legacy character. It took time as James Bye had to come in and play in Martin in the limited way he was previously. Martin is a favourite of mine now.

Old Martin was stifled terribly by Pauline though. Whether or not New Martin has just married New Pauline remains to be seen :D
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    He was. I'm surprised at how much I like Martin these days.

James Bye has been a revelation, but it helps that Lacey Turner and him both have a fantastic working relationship because it really shows on screen.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Bye has been a revelation, but it helps that Lacey Turner and him both have a fantastic working relationship because it really shows on screen.

Yes, I'm not a Stacey fan but they do work surprisingly well together, even though he's a henpecked cuckold. :D
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree About how great new Martin is. James Bye has made the role his own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm not a Stacey fan but they do work surprisingly well together, even though he's a henpecked cuckold. :D

Well we know where he gets that from! :D
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo Rose wrote: »

If I could bring back one character dead or alive, it would probably be Mark Fowler. He was in the show for a long time and it would be so great if he was around these days. His scenes with Arthur and Pauline after his HIV announcement were classic Eastenders.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree. James A will always be Martin Fowler to me. James B is a good actor, but he's just not Martin Fowler :D