Options

Corrie - Carla just a joke now?

HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This exit story has been rather amateurish, repetive and drawn out, surely a once strong character like Carla deserves so much better, its rather a sour way to end things imo, Ali King is one of their best and on screen it comes across as force as if she doesn't believe any of this herself.

Comments

• Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alison King has done some sterling work on Corrie down through the years and deserves so much better than this muck. Blackburn has overused her and relentlessly heaped misery upon misery on her. She's a shadow of the strong character she once was due to his ineptitude as a producer. Her scenes with rivals like Leanne have been electric, whereas her scenes opposite Tracy have always fallen flat.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    It's actually pathetically depressing me a tad that this shower of shite is the swansong for one of my favourite ever soap characters. She should be going out on a high, not a broken mess.

Who t f's bright idea was it to totally diminish a once utterly fabulous, charismatic character and have her leave in a cloud of shame after a 1NS with Tracy Barlow's sloppy seconds?? Hand's up??
  • Options
    Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have had her leave with Peter Barlow. That would have been a shocker if he had stopped the wedding tonight. Peter could have come back for Deirdre's funeral reignited the spark and they could have gone off together. It would have been better than what is happening. Carla was one of my fave female characters but she has been destroyed.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not watching Corrie again till all this is over. I can watch Eastenders if I really want to depress myself.
  • Options
    Carla-esqueCarla-esque Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've butchered Carla's character. I'm hoping she comes back in the next 5 years and they can start again. She's been going downhill since the rape trial.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have had her leave with Peter Barlow. That would have been a shocker if he had stopped the wedding tonight. Peter could have come back for Deirdre's funeral reignited the spark and they could have gone off together. It would have been better than what is happening. Carla was one of my fave female characters but she has been destroyed.

I was also thinking that Peter Barlow should have been somehow involved with her exit storyline as they had amazing chemistry together and he was the love of her life.
    Maybe she'll join him in Portsmouth.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought she was a self-inflicted misery with the voice of a quacking duck

The sooner she's gone, the better
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why "now" in the thread title? I think Carla has been a joke for a couple of years now. Stuck in a never ending cycle - factory going bust - find new buyer with large business - sleep with him - he moves in, completely forgets his own business - he dies - go on bottle. Repeat ad nauseam.

Before that it was the Carla/Peter/Leanne merry go round. And now it's the Tracy thing, same plot endlessly repeated.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Why "now" in the thread title? I think Carla has been a joke for a couple of years now. Stuck in a never ending cycle - factory going bust - find new buyer with large business - sleep with him - he moves in, completely forgets his own business - he dies - go on bottle. Repeat ad nauseam.

Before that it was the Carla/Peter/Leanne merry go round. And now it's the Tracy thing, same plot endlessly repeated.

This.

For me, Carla has been going round in circles since 2010 when she suddenly fell in love with Peter Barlow. That was only four or so years into her time on the show. For the past six years she's been stuck in the cycle that you describe, although that's actually the same pattern her stories have followed since she first arrived.

Don't forget, jsmith, that Nick was also involved in the Carla/Peter/Leanne merry-go-round when the story first started to develop around the time of the tram crash. Those four characters have really been treated shoddily over the past 5 years or so, simply shifting from one to the other as part of the show's next 'explosive romance'. I'm surprised that Carla and Leanne haven't embarked on a doomed lesbian affair ...
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    She deserves a better exit. The most disappointing thing is that she has let Tracy walk all over her. That is just a joke. Sne wouldn't let it happen. Why the writers think that the Tracy feud is even interesting and keep shoving it down our throats I will never know. No wonder Alison King is leaving. It's just rinse and repeat with the character
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how the actors got one with Stuart Blackburn, but I do find it strangely odd that characters are leaving now, just before the show gets a new producer, which will hopefully make the show special again.

You would have thought they would have wanted to see how KO deals with things
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how the actors got one with Stuart Blackburn, but I do find it strangely odd that characters are leaving now, just before the show gets a new producer, which will hopefully make the show special again.

You would have thought they would have wanted to see how KO deals with things

Though as me and jsmith have said, it's not just Stuart Blackburn that has treated Carla like a rag doll. Crowther and Collinson were really the ones to start heaping the misery on Carla, Blackburn is just following the template that they set.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could remove the word 'Carla' from the thread title and it would be more accurate.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why we are all supposed to root for Carla. She is no angel has done plenty of wrong over the years.
    I'll be glad when she has gone to be honest. Alison King is a good actress but i'm sick of Saint Carla..
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought she was a self-inflicted misery with the voice of a quacking duck

This!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That isnt her real voice is it?

Did I read something the other week about it?
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Now?????????? Years more like.

This is a woman who has found out her husband had cheated with the au pair, battled her alcoholic and gambling demons, slept with her 'enemy's' boyfriend, escaped a coach crash, battled her way past a fire which she thought she started, was about to tip herself over a cliff until Tracy confessed, learnt the true identity of her father, tried to keep her business afloat to various levels of degrees, suffered a miscarriage...................and this was just under Blackburn's watch!

It's just misery, misery and more misery. So glad she's leaving............forces the boss to give other characters a chance to lead storylines. Carla's a tired character, butchered by Blackburn..........if they handled her properly I doubt she'd be leaving full time.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.

I have never liked Carla that much. But I don't like seeing the far more tiresome Tracy, constantly getting the better of her.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carla's fall from grace began for me at the end of Tina's murder reveal. Yet again, this led to her rivalry with Tracy continuing and her wallow in self pity. This was then turned up to the max following the flat fire. Carla reminds me of Stacey Branning. A constant victim and someone we should really feel sorry for all the time, no matter what they do. When most of the time, they bring it on themselves.
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    Surely Carla deserves a happy ending not this rubbish exit. The rivalry with Tracy should have ended at bus crash. Why prolong it I don't know.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, Blackburn's tenure has been a pile of S***e. The show went downhill after Hayley's death in Jan 14.

Nothing will change until Kate Oates work is seen on screen
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's been ruined beyond repair.

I hope Alison King does well away from the show to save her returning to more of this.
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole Tracy blackmail storyline has been ridiculous.
    Carla would have just told her to shove it from day one, not bowed and scraped to a poisonous witch like Tracy.
    She'd have brazened it out, denied, denied, denied and told Rob to do the same.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    This exit story has been rather amateurish, repetive and drawn out, surely a once strong character like Carla deserves so much better, its rather a sour way to end things imo, Ali King is one of their best and on screen it comes across as force as if she doesn't believe any of this herself.

Sadly, yes.