Play tv performance since 4.20

steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
Forum Member
Has anyone usng play tv noticed a dip in general responsiveness etc

I've noticed the epg can be slow to load, frames per second drop occasionally - on the odd occasion- a but stuttery.
It still records etc ok and everything else with the system seems ok.

I changed my 500gb for a 1tb (same 5400rpm) 2-3 months ago, just wondered if the issue wwas the Os vs a bigger hdd

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to stop using Play TV. Since around the time of update 4 Play TV would frequently freeze meaning the whole PS3 would shut off and turn back on again. It really started to get to me and there is no apparent way to stop it (have tried to close/reinstall etc it).

So needless to say, I got peed off by it, and got Sky Multiroom instead!
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Ah ok, yeah I'm. Getting some freezes which seem to last at most 10 seconds - usually if recording and showing the xmb - I think play tv has been forgotten about bit, hopefully busy working on freeview hd (probably for ps4)
    Forum Member
    I wrote a post (Sunday last week) on the official PS forums on how rubbish play tv had become since the series link update - literally freezing when attempting to search or record a series link.

Day after (Monday 14th Jan)), Sony release the latest system software update - Play TV is more or less back to normal - its same speedy, reliable self - no freezes, no choppy playback - excellent!

It lives on, well until the next system update kills it lol !!!
    Forum Member
    hmm spoke to soon - still freezing when choosing 'series record' from the epg...
    Forum Member
    Well guys, I've come to the end of the road with Play TV - 4.25 Beautiful years of just using one device under the TV, using the PS3 almost every day. The recent fiasco (which infact made me buy a NEW PS3 thinking the Phat was about to get YLOD) and Sonys amateur behaviour in resolving the issue has led me to look elsewhere...

Have just ordered a Humax DTR-T1000 1TB YouView HD PVR - This has BBC1,BBC2, ITV and Ch4 in HD as well as upscaling SD channels as well as intergrating iplayer etc.. into the EPG. I just cant bear to watch any of the images V1 of play tv produces anymore and the fact the epg doesnt save most of the programmes is also a massive ball ache!.

I guess the fact ive spent £230 + £240 on new equipment stems ultimately for the £6 paid update being complete rubbish in the first place - who knows, if I stayed on 1.4.3 which upscaled the SD image excellently well I would be ok now - but at least now I have HD channels and actual ongoing support.

heres the 1TB Humax model I've bought-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AAG5NF6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00AAG5NF6&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up and bought a freeview+ box on eBay for £15, does the job.

The humax looks good but much more than I am willing to pay to record the odd program.
  • MrDaBoss7MrDaBoss7 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I still have never understood exactly why there isn't a DVB-T2 equipped Play TV device available yet, especially with a lot of other countries as well adopting the DVB-T2 standard! :confused:
    Forum Member
    There defo won't be now - maybe some add on for the ps4, but with the above headache with the current version, ill be sticking to the ps3 / Humax