How much does a standard cinema ticket cost at your local Picture House?

JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
Forum Member
I booked a couple of tickets for Rush tomorrow night earlier and each seat cost £9! Wondering if there was a premium because it was a prime time, first night showing. But no, even the most lowly showing of the lowliest film cost the same.

My local is Vue and their prices must have gone up by 50% in a few years. I remember when that cinema opened 13 years ago and a ticket was £3.20. With inflation, its still nowhere near £9 13 years later. The cinema doesn't offer anything else to justify such a huge price hike, I'm bombarded with half an hour of ads before a film and the actual entertainment lasts around 1.5 - 2 hours.

What do you pay and what is your opinion of that cost?

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £35 (I think) per year for unlimited 'free' screenings at the Rox. Otherwise, free film screenings at various cinemas across London, e.g. free screenings every Sunday at the Grand Union in Wandsworth and free screenings every Monday at the Grove in Balham. I get complimentary cinema tickets from clients as well. On certain days, some cinemas offer heavy discounts for current releases. For example, £2.50 every Tuesday(?) at Green in Islington.

I rarely pay more than £80 per year for my cinema-going. This includes special/premiere screenings, mini festivals and similar events.

I'm luckier than those outside London, true, but there are similar schemes in most cities and major towns, so it might be worth keeping an eye out for those. Cineworld, for instance, offer a membership. I think it's something like £15 per month for unlimited film screenings?
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked...... If I drove to my local Odeon now it would cost me £9.05 at the box office to see a standard (ie non-3D/IMAX) film. It's about a 30 mile round trip, so including petrol it would cost me about £13 in total.

I haven't been to the cinema this year, though, and I can't see myself going again any time soon.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, prices around mine are starting to get to the point where I am actually going to stop going. £10 is a red line for me.

Though I think I could get cheaper tickets with my nectre points if I ever sorted it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Proper local, Plaza community cinema, is £4.90 for a standard adult ticket.

I go to the odeon though, and that's £7.60 for cheaper times, £8.90 for peak times, and I think 3D is £13.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local is really cheap, same price for 2D and 3D:
    Mon-Fri £2.50
    Weekends £3.50

http://www.plazadorchester.com/content/ticket-prices

It's no flea pit either, 5 stars on TripAdvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186263-d3511492-Reviews-Plaza_Cinema-Dorchester_Dorset_England.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was around £7.50 - £8.50 when I last went in 2012. I am able to afford to go as a treat if I want to, however the behaviour of other patrons keeps me at home waiting for the DVD to be released unless it's a very special case. I just can't tolerate how people are in public venues for the most part now. The majority of the general public who go out and about to places like cinema and the even more expensive theatre seem to be a bunch of disgusting cretins who would get away with murder in broad day light if they wanted to. My local cinema is a lovely building but it also doesn't have a wide enough variety of movies, which is a shame.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I get free cinema tickets via my health insurance policy at Vue. I saw Rush tonight and the full price of the tickets for the extreme screening was £14.50. Crazy just to see one film!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our one is really old it closed but was opened up again a few months back and is the same price.
    Weekday £2.50 Weekend £3.50 only has 2 screens one really large the other average.
    Though is now digital and 4K.

https://www.facebook.com/CenturyCinema?ref=br_tf
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vue in plymouth cost..

£9.45 peak times
    £8.05 off peak

i haven't been for years though, a bit expensive

EDIT:

add £2.25 if the films in 3D.

£11.00 for a 3D movie, no thanks
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Showcase Insider card and tickets after 7pm Sundays and all day Mondays & Tuesdays are £5 - you just need to pay extra for 3D glasses if you need them.

I saw Rush on a preview screening at Showcase a couple of weeks ago for £5!
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cineworld Unlimited, I pay £15.90 a month. Standard tickets are about £9 now I think, so considering I go at least once a week, it's an excellent deal.
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Cineworld Unlimited, I pay £15.90 a month. Standard tickets are about £9 now I think, so considering I go at least once a week, it's an excellent deal.
    I wish Odeon would do this. It's a great offer but there is only 1 Cineworld near me and its an old Virgin one - desperately in need of an update compared to Odeon.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would dearly, dearly love a Cineworld near me as i'd bite their hands off for an Unlimited Card but I don't think it'll ever happen.

I'm stuck with VUE being the nearest to me with the prices at £7.85 off-peak and £9.25 peak.

I've started to go to the Premiere Cinema in Romford a lot though as it's £4 a ticket for any day, any performance. It's a good 40 minute bus ride away, but if i go early sunday morning (as I did today), it's only just over half an hour so it's well worth it.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local Empire is £5 for students which I thought was pretty good value.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    £4.30 for students, £4.50 Matinee and around £6.50 for peak time I think at Movie House Dublin Rd in Belfast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Printworks in Manchester last week and it would have cost me £15 to see Riddick in the IMAX, no thanks, no way would I pay that much for a film!
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    £9.30 because Cineworld own 3 out of the 4 cinemas in Aberdeen.

There is no cheap day Tuesday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    At my local cinema (an Empire), off-peak adult tickets are £5.70, peak time are £6.95, and child/student/senior tickets are £4.95, so it's not too bad. There's an extra £1.50 3D surcharge, and in addition to this, they also have a 'Saverday Tuesday' where all tickets cost £3.25.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I booked a couple of tickets for Rush tomorrow night earlier and each seat cost £9! Wondering if there was a premium because it was a prime time, first night showing. But no, even the most lowly showing of the lowliest film cost the same.

My local is Vue and their prices must have gone up by 50% in a few years. I remember when that cinema opened 13 years ago and a ticket was £3.20. With inflation, its still nowhere near £9 13 years later. The cinema doesn't offer anything else to justify such a huge price hike, I'm bombarded with half an hour of ads before a film and the actual entertainment lasts around 1.5 - 2 hours.

What do you pay and what is your opinion of that cost?

Bless the Internet and piracy.

The cinemas turn families to criminals to watch the latest films.

Piracy is an acceptable crime but the industry is doing nothing to help the customer only further criminalise it.

Poor old Depp, Pitt and Downey Jr their millions will be a little less.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    £35 (I think) per year for unlimited 'free' screenings at the Rox. Otherwise, free film screenings at various cinemas across London, e.g. free screenings every Sunday at the Grand Union in Wandsworth and free screenings every Monday at the Grove in Balham.

So basically you save money on cinema prices by going to the pub instead?
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so expensive these days.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While booking tickets fror Legend yestyerday I noticed that standard ticket prices were £11 now. Luckily I've got cineworld unlimited, but it did suprise me just how expensive the cinema has got. I certainly wouldn't go very often these days if I was paying that sort of price every time.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'll hold my hands up high and admit that i am part of the problem ,,,,,,,,, but its a vicious circle

if its a massive blockbuster franchise ( terminator / jurasic / man of steel ) then i'll happily pay the £10 ticket each for myself and any family members who are going with me ,,,,,,,, i know and accept its gonna be a 50 quid night out with the snacks etc . ,,,,,,,,,,,,, so therefore its an event night , not a spontaneous on a whim night .

but everything else ,,,,, showbox ,,,,,,,,, yes its pirate , and im well aware that im therefore contributing to the decline of the movie business ,,,,,,,, but if prices were a more reasonable 5ver per film then i would go see more at the cinema at least a few times a week .(take my own food , spontaneous whim night ) ,,,,,,, the catch 22 is that if piracy sites like showbox etc weren't so easily accessible ' then maybe cinema tickets would be cheaper .

its a situation that wont go away ,,,,,,,

i live in leicester and we have no cineworld ,,
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I budget for around £10 including ticket, snacks and travel
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    i'll hold my hands up high and admit that i am part of the problem ,,,,,,,,, but its a vicious circle

if its a massive blockbuster franchise ( terminator / jurasic / man of steel ) then i'll happily pay the £10 ticket each for myself and any family members who are going with me ,,,,,,,, i know and accept its gonna be a 50 quid night out with the snacks etc . ,,,,,,,,,,,,, so therefore its an event night , not a spontaneous on a whim night .

but everything else ,,,,, showbox ,,,,,,,,, yes its pirate , and im well aware that im therefore contributing to the decline of the movie business ,,,,,,,, but if prices were a more reasonable 5ver per film then i would go see more at the cinema at least a few times a week .(take my own food , spontaneous whim night ) ,,,,,,, the catch 22 is that if piracy sites like showbox etc weren't so easily accessible ' then maybe cinema tickets would be cheaper .

its a situation that wont go away ,,,,,,,

i live in leicester and we have no cineworld ,,

I get free Vue tickets every week through my health insurance but still choose to watch them at home. The hassle of getting to the town centre and the £4.50 parking fees are just too much most of the time.