Master Chef 2016

1263264265266267269»

Comments

• Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I am pleased Jane won I did think the final was a bit of a let down. Other finals have seen far better dishes I think.

It was clear Billy could not win it so it was a two race horse and Jack's dishes were a let down I thought so Jane was a shoo in. No real tension, no biting of nails wondering who the winner would be........
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to appeal to people though.:)
    There was a full rehearsal for the Opening of The Olympics which had thousands of people involved and nothing made it into the mass media.
    Who can ever forget HM and James Bond and people must have known about that.:D

The difference with Bake Off is that many more people were at the final than Masterchef. Are eliminated contestants told of the result whereas they are present at the Bake Off final.

Much of the Olympic Opening was hinted at in planned leaks but I think some parts of the opening were not done in front of the full cast so they remained secret. The involvement of the Queen and James Bond was kept very secret, even her family were not told.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John and Gregg don't know about the "back story" until after judging.
    I like that part ( nosy ) I only don't like the sobby back story stuff if it can influence viewers voting.It's the main reason I don't watch BGT,Voice,X Factor type shows ......... well........perhaps not the main reason.
    I really did want Jack to win and I hope he gets a foody job deal out of it; Billy too for that matter. The only one who doesn't want a job ( "I'm a stay at home mum doncha know") :o was the ruddy winner >:(>:(
    First Nadiya, now Jane.....is it a Government plot to encourage women not to work and massage the unemployment figures ? :confused:
    I say again.........buggah!!!!!!!

In the Mail article she did say that she would like to do some sort of work involving food or cooking. Nadiya seems to have kept quite busy since here win.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Juanita should have been in the final instead of Billy whose cooking ethos seemed to be to throw everything at it in order to be wild and daring and 'on the edge'. In fact he boasted about being on the edge at home and said he wasn't going to change for Masterchef. Don't know his domestic circumstances - just thought - his poor family! Imo cooking is best coming from a place of love rather than exhibitionism and sometimes Billy (are you listening?) we would just like some stew and dumplings ;-)
    There have been a lot of similar comments on social media. Just wondering if there is something we are not being told about as the reason for booting her. Is there a back story to the supposed illness which stopped her cooking? Or was it that they wanted Jane to win (for whatever reason) and being up against Juanita in the final would have made that doubtful?
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Sweetiecat wrote: »
    Well deserved winner.
    She cooked her socks off, worked really hard in all the tasks and just kept getting better and better.
    Her silly voice, simpering and giggling annoyed me at times but she totally deserved that.

It's funny, her voice did annoy me a little at first but by the end I had gotten used to it and it no longer bothered me. She's a smashing lady and thoroughly deserved her win. Everyone I have spoken to this morning wanted her to win.
    Forum Member
    John and Gregg don't know about the "back story" until after judging.
    I like that part ( nosy ) I only don't like the sobby back story stuff if it can influence viewers voting.It's the main reason I don't watch BGT,Voice,X Factor type shows ......... well........perhaps not the main reason.
    I really did want Jack to win and I hope he gets a foody job deal out of it; Billy too for that matter. The only one who doesn't want a job ( "I'm a stay at home mum doncha know") :o was the ruddy winner >:(>:(
    First Nadiya, now Jane.....is it a Government plot to encourage women not to work and massage the unemployment figures ? :confused:
    I say again.........buggah!!!!!!!

Lots of sour grapes in this post.
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it, Jay, are you saying that reality/game shows should be about the winner getting a job afterwards? Masterchef is about finding fine amateur talent; what the contestants do after is up to them and I couldn't care less if they choose to open a restaurant or write books or simply carry on with the lives as before.
  • reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I'm unashamedly stealing this idea form CloneClown on the SCD forums .. but my five thoughts for this series are:

1. I love Gregg! I don't care who knows it - I find him quite irresistible!
    2. The restaurant rounds .. didn't they used to split them up more in the finals, and send them all to different restaurants around the world? Perhaps the budget won't allow it any more. The street food was good in Mexico, but the restaurant round was a yawn.
    3. I never want to see a sous vide or a confit egg yolk again in my life. (What does confit actually mean, anyway?)
    4. My favourite round is always early on, when they have the former winners and nearly-winners judging. Look forward to seeing this year's finalists judging next year. :)
    5. I love this forum :blush::D
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I'm unashamedly stealing this idea form CloneClown on the SCD forums .. but my five thoughts for this series are:
    A very good idea!

'Confit' is very much like poaching something but instead of water you use oil. The oil isn't hot enough to 'fry' whatever you're putting in it but it does cook.

1) People over think it - conspiracy theories abound. It's just cooking and usually the judges decision is obvious.
    2) Picking favourites early on is a bad idea
    3) The professional kitchen rounds are for the contestants, not the judges or the audience. Given that, they generally aren't great telly.
    4) The 'world's best chefs' are now cooking food so utterly esoteric that it's a struggle to relate to them at all.
    5) Masterchef will never have the 'feel good' of GBBO but it does have nice people on it.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late to the party, I know, but I only watched the final on catch-up this morning.

Delighted with Jane's win - I wasn't convinced that Billy Broken-Eggs really deserved his place and although Jack's food looked and sounded great, I found him a bit smug and smarmy.

Her final dishes looked and sounded great and I can scarcely believe that even I (not mad on seafood and allergic to lots of it) could have been tempted to try a winkle.

Well done, Jane.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Late to the party, I know, but I only watched the final on catch-up this morning.

Delighted with Jane's win - I wasn't convinced that Billy Broken-Eggs really deserved his place and although Jack's food looked and sounded great, I found him a bit smug and smarmy.

Her final dishes looked and sounded great and I can scarcely believe that even I (not mad on seafood and allergic to lots of it) could have been tempted to try a winkle.

Well done, Jane.
    Interview with Jane in today's Times - she had breast cancer 10 years ago, recovered from that, and then 4 years ago was told she had liver cancer. Had to have part of it removed and is now in remission. I wonder if this gave her extra determination and/or a 'nothing to lose' attitude! Anyway, deserved win for her.
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    Interview with Jane in today's Times - she had breast cancer 10 years ago, recovered from that, and then 4 years ago was told she had liver cancer. Had to have part of it removed and is now in remission. I wonder if this gave her extra determination and/or a 'nothing to lose' attitude! Anyway, deserved win for her.

That is really harsh suffering from 2 different cancers.
  • Damon_PlemburyDamon_Plembury Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up.

That was sooooo emotional

I've loved Jane from the beginning. What a lovely gentle woman.

An amazing victory for her

Xxx
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    That is really harsh suffering from 2 different cancers.

It may have been an 'offshoot' of the original breast cancer, called a metastasis. You can get breast cancer in your bones, liver and brain. They'll have tested the tumour to ascertain which one it was, a primary (new) or a secondary. Sorry to get technical!
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleased Jane won the final, for me the right winner
  • lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have been happy for either Jane or Jack to win. Jack had been consistently better and is the only one who'd looked like a chef from day one. Jane successfully climbed a far steeper learning curve.
  • lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    A very good idea!

'Confit' is very much like poaching something but instead of water you use oil. The oil isn't hot enough to 'fry' whatever you're putting in it but it does cook.

1) People over think it - conspiracy theories abound. It's just cooking and usually the judges decision is obvious.
    2) Picking favourites early on is a bad idea
    3) The professional kitchen rounds are for the contestants, not the judges or the audience. Given that, they generally aren't great telly.
    4) The 'world's best chefs' are now cooking food so utterly esoteric that it's a struggle to relate to them at all.
    5) Masterchef will never have the 'feel good' of GBBO but it does have nice people on it.

bib -- yes; it is noticeable how much better (most) contestants are after working in the pro kitchens.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most Masterchef contestants say that they would like to have a career in food, and most past winners/ finalists have ended up working in the food industry.....just saying ;)
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane did an interview on today's Woman's Hour.
    Its approximately 20 minutes in.
    She is simply lovely.:D
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'W' is re-running a Celebrity Masterchef which I'm enjoying.

I don't know the series number but its the one with Janet Street Porter and Jo Wood.:)
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    bummed Jack didn't win but i don't mind Jane

Jack will have a future in the food industry, Jane won't
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    It may have been an 'offshoot' of the original breast cancer, called a metastasis. You can get breast cancer in your bones, liver and brain. They'll have tested the tumour to ascertain which one it was, a primary (new) or a secondary. Sorry to get technical!

Not at all, thanks for the info.:)
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I don't know why people think Jack is smug, he's just a confident young lad.