Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Well don't attempt to put blame on the victim of an unprovoked physical attack. Regarding the producer don't believe everything you read in the papers, the report states Clarkson attempted over 5 days to apologise for his actions before informing the BBC. If they were both at the same hotel why wasn't it all sorted out the next morning or by the end of the day?

The producer's decisions may have been influenced firstly by the shock and distress caused by the incident and believing he had lost his job. Secondly when Clarkson was suspended it was the producer who was blamed, abused and threatened resulting in him suffering significant personal distress.

I'm not believing everything I've read or heard at all - thats my point from the start. Nobody knows exactly what happened.

And you can't really blame *that* on Jeremy. He has fans of all types, sadly some of those didn't behave well.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's the BBC report, based on discussions with Clarkson, Tymon and other witnesses. That didn't address everything, e.g. whether Jeremy had been drinking, did he actually throw a punch, etc. But I thought it gave a pretty good overview of what transpired, and it sounded pretty plausible.

Clarkson presumably would have preferred a different outcome, so he could have challenged the conclusions it drew about what happened. But he didn't.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,983
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    Here we go again.

Just like Dave then. :)
  • DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    He's pulled out of presenting HIGNFY now. Bit of a shame, although surely the right decision for him.
    Forum Member
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    He's pulled out of presenting HIGNFY now. Bit of a shame, although surely the right decision for him.

What a surprise. ;-)
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you got a link?
    Forum Member
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Have you got a link?

Statement....
    Jimmy Mulville, managing director of Hat Trick Productions which makes the show, said: "On reflection, Jeremy Clarkson has decided not to host Have I Got News For You. We fully expect him to resume his hosting duties later in the year."
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statement....

That is the right decision. The BBC should have stepped in before now though. You don't 'not renew someone's contract' only for them to appear a month later on another BBC show.

I don't expect to see Clarkson on the Beeb for many years now. What he did was extremely serious... never-mind all the offense he has caused down the years.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't somebody think of the children.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    Won't somebody think of the children.
    The ones in this thread or elsewhere? :p
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh, I quite liked the prospect. Maybe knowing the programme, Hislop and Merton, he decided he was probably on a hiding to nothing?

Metaphorically speaking, of course.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pulled out as in voluntarily, or was pressure put on him to pull out to avoid embarrassment to a certain organisation? ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it was truly his decision, it's refreshing to see he might have some sort of sense of decency about him after all, however small.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The ones in this thread or elsewhere? :p

Okay, I'll bite.

Expecting a state funded broadcaster to set a good example is being childish now? :o
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the right decision. The BBC should have stepped in before now though. You don't 'not renew someone's contract' only for them to appear a month later on another BBC show.

I don't expect to see Clarkson on the Beeb for many years now. What he did was extremely serious... never-mind all the offense he has caused down the years.
    Clarkson really bothers you doesn't he? Hope he comes back on TV later on in the year.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Statement....

The only decision possible by the BBC, given the seriousness of the situation. For them to have allowed him to present this so soon would have been an insult. And gracious of Danny Cohen to allow him to 'withdraw' of his own accord. Oh, and to choose not to renew his contract with the BBC as well. Or was it Jonathan Ross who was fallen onto his own sword that way?

Perhaps. Perhaps, at Christmas, when everyone has moved on and people are in good (bottles of) spirits, Clarkson may be allowed a brief visit to wrap-up old Top Gear, primarily as an excuse to make use of the existing footage our licence fees have already paid for and not be criticised for wasting it.

I don't think Clarkson fundamentalists quite grasp what damage has been done to him, yet. Oh, I'm sure he'll pop up on Netflix in a hundred-million pound series where he'll be allowed to freely shoot Germans, whip Russians and punch anyone who's lazy and Irish for the amusement of 1970s Millwall supporters very, very soon...
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What he did was extremely serious? nah it wasn't.

The way you go on at him in these forums I reckon you secretly love him.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    The BBC have become a laughing stock by allowing this.

I just don't see the point in effectively sacking him from TG & then allowing him to present another one of its highly rated shows.

In that case, they should have renewed his contract & made some pathetic excuse for doing so.
    This has already been explained, in detail, more than once.

However, once again for the terminally hard-of-understanding.

JC's contract for TG was not renewed. That's it. End of story.

As a person, he is still free to work for whoever asks him to including, in this case, an independent production company who asked him to do this before this other stuff blew up.

Not really seeing what's so difficult to understand. :confused:
    The only decision possible by the BBC, given the seriousness of the situation.
    Except that it wasn't the BBC's decision.
    And gracious of Danny Cohen to allow him to 'withdraw' of his own accord.
    Huh? It's none of his business who appears in independent productions.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Joking apart - Clarkson pulling out of HIGNIFY, I think he's genuinely ill and has been for some time. He's had immense pressure piled on him. More than enough to make anyone crack.

Some may say he brought it on himself. There again it's very easy to pontificate from the sidelines especially when one doesn't know all the facts.

I would certainly take most of what is written about him with a very large pinch of salt.

I'm sure Ash_M1 will have the real low down and put us all in the picture.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    As a person, he is still free to work for whoever asks him to including, in this case, an independent production company who asked him to do this before this other stuff blew up.

As, equally, are the BBC free to broadcast whomever they want, regardless of who the programme is outsourced to when they commission it. And if you think they aren't in a position to contact that company and say what they want and don't want to happen, you're naive to the extreme.

They do not wish to broadcast Clarkson in anything new at the moment. Simples. Especially in a situation where he's likely to get a massive cheer by a small, biased audience, thus making themselves look somehow bad for sacking the thug for being a thug, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Clarkson really bothers you doesn't he? Hope he comes back on TV later on in the year.

While people like Ash do seem to go overboard, why do people like you enjoy the fact that Clarkson upsets people? I don't get the unbridled glee some take in that.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    While people like Ash do seem to go overboard, why do people like you enjoy the fact that Clarkson upsets people? I don't get the unbridled glee some take in that.

I enjoy it because I like watching people getting their knickers in a twist over such insignificant things...