Options

Are sky pricing themselves out?

MackemsafcMackemsafc Posts: 607
Forum Member
✭✭
Sky is now pricing themselves out, and I'm now considering changing providers.

Comments

• Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    They did that 2 years ago with me.

Only regret is why did I pay for that repeated crap for so many years and what I could have done with all that money.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very very close to that. Sky must tread very carefully now, they have started to pull the tail of the dog and any moment the dog will bite back if his not already started to do so. his teeth are very sharp, soon the blood will flow culminating in a a haemorrhage of viewers.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the need for another thread?

There are already 2 similar threads on this, with over 600 posts in them!!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

The broadband packages and phone has saved them for a few years but even that's an ever growing and competitive market.

The entertainment market is saturated with digital channels and it's hard to tell which ones are FTA and pay as they both have loads of ads and new shows. Sky got desperate and got ITV Encore but it's no better than any previous ITV effort. Sky will come again with 4k and improved HD boxes though. I guess in the end with them losing Champions League in the next few years I think they will have to offer a lower entry price for Sky maybe less channels? Sport or movies maybe taken as a standalone for Freesat people too?

Sky use to be the best way to get TV, even the only way for some with no cable coverage but Freeview is improving. People are getting more picky of what they want to pay for as they turn to things like Netflix. When people look at cutting back they don't see a £20 quid Sky bill it's a £100 bill with movies, sport, broadband and it can all be found cheaper, even all be it with a few less junk channels like Sky1 and GOLD.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am getting very close to making that phone call too. I have been with them for very many years and never contemplated moving until recently.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On an offer at the moment, but once that has finished I think it will be bye bye Sky. The price is just getting out of hand now.

You can't keep having inflation busting rises and not expect people to say enough is enough eventually.

The problem Sky has got is they keep having to hand over more and more £billions for football rights. They are stinging everyone with increases to pay for this. I think people who have no interest in football are starting to resent that. Especially this time when the family pack has increased by triple the amount the sports pack has.
  • Options
    Paul W. HPaul W. H Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    We have been a Sky TV customer since the summer of 1989 and watched the prices increase year on year.

It is now rapidly reaching the point where we cannot justify paying £71.25 pm and now with a £4.50 increase on top for an average of 4 hours TV viewing per day.

To 'er indoors and myself the ability to record and then watch when we want to watch is brilliant but now we are both drawing our State Pensions a decision will need to be made. Don't get me wrong it is not because we cannot afford Sky TV it is because I believe that Sky and Football are now taking the pi55 out of all of us.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much, I have Freesat and the Now TV entertainment package £6.99 per month (including the boxsets and catch up) Even including my 37 Mbps fibre package from PlusNet at just over £21 = £27.99 a month for a basic tv package and unlimited internet service and all the free channels on FreeSat.

I occasionally log in to my parents Sky Go account** to see what I'm missing on a full Sky subscription and can honestly say I quickly log out and return to my Now TV package as it's usually just Gold or Fox that I want to watch...well apart from the odd movie.

**I set Sky Go up for them so know the details, and checked first and they are OK with me viewing on their subscription.
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just a simple mistake that Sky are making - they are trying to make back the cost of football rights by increasing prices all round - but the fair way to do it would be to pass all the cost of the football just on to the sports pack, and to increase the cost of that pack accordingly.
  • Options
    dodgem22dodgem22 Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Also somebody has to pay for the incentives such as a free tv or tablet when you join. I do feel they are pricing themselves out yes but the other providers are just as bad. I can see a large increase in freeview and freesat only homes myself.

Also with the increase in streaming providers such as Netflix and prime etc many people may just use them instead alongside freeview/sat.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Now TV is Sky, if people are moving over, they are not pricing themselves out.

Once enough people are on it, and Sky digital starts to drop off, the price of Now TV will rise slowly, a pound a year perhaps.

I think more people are going over to Freest and Freeview, but Now TV will take some of thee back.
  • Options
    TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Now TV is Sky, if people are moving over, they are not pricing themselves out.

Once enough people are on it, and Sky digital starts to drop off, the price of Now TV will rise slowly, a pound a year perhaps.

I think more people are going over to Freest and Freeview, but Now TV will take some of thee back.
    Now tv will not really take of untill they bring out 1080i/1080p boxes, im going over to BT Tv on the 27 april, can get most of what i want on there.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always churn of customers. Don't think you're anything special. So many people claim sky are done and a rip off yet they keep growing!
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Paying for Sky is a bit like voting in a general election. People keep doing the same thing and wonder why taxes always go up. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Always churn of customers. Don't think you're anything special. So many people claim sky are done and a rip off yet they keep growing!
    As others have said though, it sure would be interesting to see Sky Digital's subscriber figures broken down in detail by package (and without broadband & NowTV included).

Sky are too big to "be done". They do need a reality check on premium football bidding though (as do the football industry). Blowing £4.2bn on football, then increasing Sports packages by £0-£1 whilst increasing the lower packages by £2-3 then saying "the increases have nothing to do with the football". Some of us may be 'slower' than others, but come on, we're not that thick... ;-)
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Paying for Sky is a bit like voting in a general election. People keep doing the same thing and wonder why taxes always go up. ;-)

There is always more thick "whatever" people than there is savvy/smart people. Look at the calibre of TV nowadays to see who its geared towards.
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always more thick "whatever" people than there is savvy/smart people. Look at the calibre of TV nowadays to see who its geared towards.

I don't know, people in numbers tend overall to get things right. But Sky has a great deal of inertia, slowing Sky down, peak Sky, and Sky's decline all takes time. I suspect we are close to peak Sky, or possibly we are just past it (just referring to Sky Digital, and excluding Now TV subscribers and broadband).
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pulled the plug with them on it's phone,& Sky tv package over 2 years ago - best move ever made. Went over to Utility Warehouse and Freeview
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    I pulled the plug with them on it's phone,& Sky tv package over 2 years ago - best move ever made. Went over to Utility Warehouse and Freeview

bully for you. Instead of a few channels of quality tv you get dozens of tatty ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Yes they are in danger of losing customers with the latest price hikes. I mean still charging extra for HD is a joke. HD is now the norm not some luxury item.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on an offer at the moment (when I said I'd leave they offered me a great package) and if they don't do that again, then I'm off to NowTV I think. Use it already for movies.

Yes I know its still Sky - but it's still a damned sight cheaper.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    Yes they are in danger of losing customers with the latest price hikes. I mean still charging extra for HD is a joke. HD is now the norm not some luxury item.

But the fact they charge for it is why they have so many HD channels, compared to the paltry few elsewhere.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »

Really....where is it the norm that you don't have to pay extra for HD?
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided in December it was time to cancel, the first time I have rang up and genuinely meant to go through with it.

Then they rang up and offered me 50% off. I do love having the sports channels, and do watch enough import stuff to justify the cost with 50% off. I can't justify paying full price any more, it may have the best content, but not at any cost.

As for broadband, I'll keep flip flopping every 12 (or 18 if I HAVE to) months - I'll switch to whoever gives the best deal at the time. Its absolutely barking mad financially to stay with one company.
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the fact they charge for it is why they have so many HD channels, compared to the paltry few elsewhere.

Its dire when I scroll page after page through the EPG and how there is so much white SD channels than there is yellow/orange HD listings in 2015. Even a lot of the HD listings is questionable due to the poor bitrate and sound.