Options

Complete History partwork announced

JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
Forum Member
GO BEHIND THE CAMERAS OF EVERY EPISODE OF THIS INCREDIBLE TV SERIES!

FROM 1963 TO TODAY, AND FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN, DISCOVER HOW EVERY ADVENTURE OF ALL 12 DOCTORS WAS CREATED IN ONE UNIQUE REFERENCE COLLECTION. A MUST HAVE FOR ANY DOCTOR WHO FAN.

All there is to know about Doctor Who in one incredible encyclopaedic collection, by the experts of the TV series

BUILD UP THE ULTIMATE DOCTOR WHO REFERENCE COLLECTION, FEATURING OVER 250 ADVENTURES WITH ALL 12 DOCTORS!

http://www.dwcompletehistory.com/

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    The first effect of the BBC losing their lucrative Top Gear revenue stream...

;-)
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive been waiting for somthing like this!

the BBC can have my cash! :D
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid question, but...
    Where does it say it has the episodes themselves? They go on about Hardback books, and the volumes are the spines of the books. Is it just a book collection, or is it DVD?

Because if it was DVD you would expect them to mention it somewhere!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid question, but...
    Where does it say it has the episodes themselves? They go on about Hardback books, and the volumes are the spines of the books. Is it just a book collection, or is it DVD?

Because if it was DVD you would expect them to mention it somewhere!

i think its books :)
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Where does it say it has the episodes themselves?

It doesn't, it's just yet another encyclopaedic reference collection from that Italian company that gets fools hooked into long-term partworks from newsagents, before they suddenly stop appearing in any newsagent and you're forced to go directly to them and part with your money for a subscription. Or so I saw on Watchdog years ago.

You usually end up paying hundreds of pounds for a £10 airfix model and a load of pamphlets that tell you nothing you don't already know or can't find out on Wikipedia! The 'exclusive' stuff you'll have never read before is usually as exciting as them pestering Waris Hussein to reveal whether he wore Y-fronts or boxer shorts on the first day of filming.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £800 (more or less) ? :o Probably even more to get them in Ireland (though can't find a price for the RoI on the website)

I don't think so.

If all the DVDs were included it would be better value but not when it's just books containing info that's probably on the net or already in previous reference books that can be had for £20 or less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £800+ for a repackaged Wikipedia basically. Looks amazing, but so what. It's just loads of old news (which can be researched online or in books) repackaged, a total rip off IMO.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    £800+ for a repackaged Wikipedia basically. Looks amazing, but so what. It's just loads of old news (which can be researched online or in books) repackaged, a total rip off IMO.

My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea when this is released? :)
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'll get this or not. On one hand, it could be extremely useful for the BSC Film & Television Production course I'm studying. On the other hand, I have three subscriptions already (DWM, Empire, Doctor Who Comic) and I'm not prepared to give up any of them because they're all superb magazines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if I'll get this or not. On one hand, it could be extremely useful for the BSC Film & Television Production course I'm studying. On the other hand, I have three subscriptions already (DWM, Empire, Doctor Who Comic) and I'm not prepared to give up any of them because they're all superb magazines.
    All the content in these new magazines, I promise you, can be found online - the classic website, Wikipedia, the Shannon Sullivan site, etc. Not worth it. It's just old material made to look fancy. You'd be better off just sticking with your current three subscriptions IMO. :)
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shan't bother with this. It's not only expensive, but a total rip-off. If you buy one issue a month until the last one has come out, then you'll have spent over £800! :o

Plus, not only all that, I haven't got the space in my house to store every book. I'd need a lot more space than I have got.

So no. I'm leaving this one alone.

I've got various books covering the TV stories, including the hardback 'Who-ology', plus Engines of War, covering the Doctor's involvement in The Time War. I bought The updated version of the Character Encyclopaedia last week, and the Tales of Trenzalore book earlier today. So I've got every book I need about DW so far.

:)