Options

European rugby tv rights - who won the scrum?

Comments

• Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT/Sky are simulcasting the Heineken Cup final, are they both simulcasting the Challenge Cup or is that just on one of the channels?
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT/Sky are simulcasting the Heineken Cup final, are they both simulcasting the Challenge Cup or is that just on one of the channels?

both are showing the 2 finals
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noting that the direction from the French broadcaster (beIN?) was extremely shoddy in both games yesterday.
  • Options
    OMcOMc Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    Just noting that the direction from the French broadcaster (beIN?) was extremely shoddy in both games yesterday.

I think it was France 2 doing the Toulon game, but I agree that the French host coverage is inferior to the BT/Sky produced stuff.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the split of the coverage of the pro 12 Play Off Semi Finals and Finals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the split of the coverage of the pro 12 Play Off Semi Finals and Finals

I'm pretty sure Sky have at least one game per round, so that would be at least one semi and the final, with none of these likely to be exclusive. The Pro12 website isn't giving any more away than that Sky Sports will show the final.

As it stands it would be Glasgow-Ospreys and Munster-Ulster, so the former on BBC2W/S4C and Alba and the latter on BBC2NI and TG4, with Sky doing both perhaps? Final on the relevant channels depending upon who gets through.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Sky have at least one game per round, so that would be at least one semi and the final, with none of these likely to be exclusive. The Pro12 website isn't giving any more away than that Sky Sports will show the final.

As it stands it would be Glasgow-Ospreys and Munster-Ulster, so the former on BBC2W/S4C and Alba and the latter on BBC2NI and TG4, with Sky doing both perhaps? Final on the relevant channels depending upon who gets through.

That's more or less it - Sky get both semi-finals and the final as part of their deal:
    For the first time Sky Sports will show 30 live matches, plus the semi-finals and final from the tournament, strengthening its unrivalled rights portfolio across six channels.

BBC Wales and NI at least have the rights to show semi-finals and finals if they contain teams involved from their respective countries, I couldn't find confirmation that Alba and TG4 have the same arrangement, but presume they would.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Sport will show the first match of the Champions Cup playoff and Sky Sports the second
    2015/16 Champions Cup play-offs:

Match 1 - Sunday, 24 May
    Gloucester Rugby v PRO12 (highest-ranked club not already qualified)
    Kingsholm Stadium 15.30
    BT Sport / beIN Sports

Match 2 - Sunday, 31 May
    Winner of Match 1 v Top 14 (seventh-ranked club)
    Winner of Match 1 will have home advantage 17.00
    Sky Sports / beIN Sports

http://www.epcrugby.com/news/30913.php#.VUoEbflVikp
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT outrated Sky for the simulcast European Champions Cup Final - though both rated low - not surprising given no UK involvement.

BT - 99,000
    Sky - 78,000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    BT outrated Sky for the simulcast European Champions Cup Final - though both rated low - not surprising given no UK involvement.

BT - 99,000
    Sky - 78,000

Not good.

Any info on the Challenge Cup final on Friday night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any info on the Challenge Cup final on Friday night?

BT - 96,000.

Can't see a figure for Sky - not sure which SS channel it was on - but whichever channel it was on it doesn't appear to have made the channel top 10 - so figure unavailable - unless anyone has access to non-public BARB data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT - 96,000.

Can't see a figure for Sky - not sure which SS channel it was on - but whichever channel it was on it doesn't appear to have made the channel top 10 - so figure unavailable - unless anyone has access to non-public BARB data.

I think it was SS1, so no surprise there.

Good for BT though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was SS1, so no surprise there.

Makes sense - as 10th rated programme on all other SS channels was well under 100,000.

10th rated programme on SS1 was 110,000 so it could be anything under that.
    Good for BT though.

Is it that great? OK, almost the same as the Champions Cup but this time there was English involvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it that great? OK, almost the same as the Champions Cup but this time there was English involvement.

Their presumed lead over Sky is, not the viewing figures themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their presumed lead over Sky is, not the viewing figures themselves.

Ah OK - yes, agreed - apologies - misinterpreted your post!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BT - 99,000
    Sky - 78,000

Even combined, it's still down a bit on the 265,000 viewers that watched the 2013 HC Final which had the same all-French 'problem'.
  • Options
    holm85holm85 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    That's a disaster for The competition. There is no doubt the competition has gone backwards. The negotiations were so petty and the result was a botched job in organising the competition;

1) Who thought it was a good idea to play the competition in the same country that the Rugby World Cup was being played in? This is a World Cup costing a fortune yet they decided to try and raid the pockets of rugby fans in England again. They might have got away with it if an English or Irish side made it but I'm kind of glad they didn't. No thought process.

2) two broadcasters whilst unavoidable has proven to not work well. The beauty of the competition was always the match day weekends and having one broadcaster and one channel where games flowed through. This year it very much felt like a competition with bolted on parts with people off watching their own sides.

3) the format of the playoffs and scheduling the fiinal when they did was again a stupid decision which I'm glad they are fixing. Having it on the day of the Champions League final worked from a sponsorship and viewing pov. The ratings backed that up too. The 2011 final got 400k IIRC. The 2012 final which was all Irish with just a small part of the UK involved got the same rating as the All English final of 2007. The French ratings for the Heineken Cup final were the same as the Top 14. For reasons their own the French clubs were obsessed with moving it though. This is just another example of the mess that were those negotiations, people were giving every small detail up at the end to get people to sign quickly. The end of May is when domestic showpieces should be played.

I think we have 2 more years of Sky/BT. Hopefully we revert to one broadcaster from then. Additionally I hope the authorities actually use the leverage of both sides bidding for the lot to demand live FTA coverage of the final.
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    holm85 wrote: »
    2) two broadcasters whilst unavoidable has proven to not work well. The beauty of the competition was always the match day weekends and having one broadcaster and one channel where games flowed through. This year it very much felt like a competition with bolted on parts with people off watching their own sides.

3) the format of the playoffs and scheduling the fiinal when they did was again a stupid decision which I'm glad they are fixing. Having it on the day of the Champions League final worked from a sponsorship and viewing pov. The ratings backed that up too. The 2011 final got 400k IIRC. The 2012 final which was all Irish with just a small part of the UK involved got the same rating as the All English final of 2007. The French ratings for the Heineken Cup final were the same as the Top 14. For reasons their own the French clubs were obsessed with moving it though. This is just another example of the mess that were those negotiations, people were giving every small detail up at the end to get people to sign quickly. The end of May is when domestic showpieces should be played.

I think we have 2 more years of Sky/BT. Hopefully we revert to one broadcaster from then. Additionally I hope the authorities actually use the leverage of both sides bidding for the lot to demand live FTA coverage of the final.

Tend to agree re broadcasters. The pool stages were not the same and in TV terms were piecemeal at best. Also less matches with less teams didn't really improve the quality IMHO. The competition never really took off and was somewhat uninspiring. Those with Sky and not BT will be most annoyed with new TV arrangements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    holm85 wrote: »

Domestic showpieces are now played at the end of May, the Premiership final is on the 30th.

Also, it's three years left in the TV deal
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broadcasters for the fixtures on the final day of the Pro12 regular season have been confirmed. They are:

Connacht v Ospreys - S4C
    Edinburgh v Leinster - BBC Alba
    Glasgow Warriors v Ulster - Sky Sports 1
    Munster v Newport Gwent Dragons - TG4
    Treviso v Scarlets - Nuvolri (Italy) and BBC Two Wales

There's no live coverage of the Cardiff Blues v Zebre game, although BBC Wales will be filming footage of it and I'm sure Nuvolri will be allowed to show clips of any key action during their coverage of Treviso v Scarlets (as BBC Two Wales do from other Pro12 matches taking place during their live coverage) given the fixture's importance towards Italian European Champions Cup qualification matters.

It appears as if Sky Sports have exclusivity over the Glasgow v Ulster game, with BBC Two Northern Ireland not scheduled for a rugby opt-out on Saturday afternoon and BBC Alba picking the Edinburgh match instead.
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    BBC Wales and NI at least have the rights to show semi-finals and finals if they contain teams involved from their respective countries, I couldn't find confirmation that Alba and TG4 have the same arrangement, but presume they would.

Unless anything has significantly changed from the previous deal now that Sky Sports are involved, I expect one of BBC Two Wales or S4C to show the Pro12 grand final regardless of whether the Ospreys win their semi-final or not. Since the Play-Offs began, the grand final has always been shown live on one of the Welsh channels, with it and the first pick semi-final (the one involving a Welsh region) alternating between the two of them from year-to-year.

BBC Two Wales showed the final last year, so going by the previous sequence I'd expect them to show the semi-final involving the Ospreys with S4C televising the final and perhaps the other semi-final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears there has still been no announcement by Sky of their new SANZAR contract.

It was announced today that England will play 3 Tests in Australia in Summer 2016. See the story on the Sky Sports website - normally if reported content is on Sky Sports then they would say so but no mention - implies contract still not signed.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/9889481/england-to-play-three-tests-in-australia-in-2016
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Sport wins rights to three Scotland warm-up games for the World Cup:

- Italy (home and away)
    - France (away)

Sky's contract for France autumn games up to 2017 obviously doesn't cover the above game.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/bt-sport-picks-scotland-rugby-world-cup-warm-ups
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears there has still been no announcement by Sky of their new SANZAR contract.

It was announced today that England will play 3 Tests in Australia in Summer 2016. See the story on the Sky Sports website - normally if reported content is on Sky Sports then they would say so but no mention - implies contract still not signed.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/9889481/england-to-play-three-tests-in-australia-in-2016

No SANZAR tv contract with any outlet has been officially signed yet, there's some serious heel dragging going over the minor details concerning how it will break down between individual unions.

http://en.espn.co.uk/australia/rugby/story/265783.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    No SANZAR tv contract with any outlet has been officially signed yet, there's some serious heel dragging going over the minor details concerning how it will break down between individual unions.

I though New Zealand had got their one done?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10658013/NZ-Rugby-and-Sanzar-ink-new-deal-with-Sky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »

As that article says, the contract is only provisional. Similar agreements are in place with other broadcasters in other nations (Fox Sports etc), however unlike other leagues the SANZAR broadcasting pot is pooled collectively so now the issues are over how that is split up and distributed between the various unions and their franchises.

Until that has been resolved there is no finalised deal