Classic Google Maps gone

snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Called up google maps today and was forced to use the new format which I don't like. There's still an option to retuurn to classic mode but selecting it is ignored and you get put into somethig called Lite mode.

A bit of research says there's been a major upgrade recently. Anyone know more about this?

Lots of websites are revamping their sites to make them more useable from phones and pads but it's downhill for laptop users.

Comments

• ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Called up google maps today and was forced to use the new format which I don't like. There's still an option to retuurn to classic mode but selecting it is ignored and you get put into somethig called Lite mode..
    Try www.google.com/lochp but don't expect it to be around forever...
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the old google maps if you clicked the little red marker you got the option for streetview, now you do not seem to get this since the upgrade, have just tried ianx's link and hopefully that may be round for a little while yet.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for classic maps link, lets hope it lives on.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. I am puzzled - I see the interface is different, but I can click on the streetview man ok (green I think).
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what you lot are seeing because it looks the same to me. The classic map looks just like a map and the Street View man is still yellow.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    On the old google maps if you clicked the little red marker you got the option for streetview, now you do not seem to get this since the upgrade, have just tried ianx's link and hopefully that may be round for a little while yet.

there's alos a lite version of the new maps that doesn't do 3 d images - there's an option to switch to the full version if you get this. It seems to be triggered by browser edition in my case.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the m/km scale was gone and saw Lite bottom-right. I clicked it. Scale came back and something about 3D.

It's gone now and doesn't show again.
    But I have just reverted to FF 33.1.1 from 37.0.2 because my DS Spell check red squiggly lines had disappeared.

Bloody computers
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's alos a lite version of the new maps that doesn't do 3 d images - there's an option to switch to the full version if you get this. It seems to be triggered by browser edition in my case.

I did get that Lite at the bottom and when I clicked to go to the full version and checked it it told me I was using the latest browser and then took me straight back to Lite.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the new version far less clear and simple to use, why they have to change it to this degree for no apparent good reason, other than for the sake of change, I don't know. I guess I'll get used to it, bah, grumble, moan :D

Sure, some folk love the continuning changes perhaps, but I suspect many want to use this excellent tool and not have to relearn it whenever Google decide everything needs a refresh and redesign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is a bit of a change to the classic version, but not much. I think, anyway.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why with the new version, can you not zoom as close in satellite imagery? You can actually zoom in closer in lite mode.
  • ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does www.google.com/lochp mean and what happened to https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

I use an old Firefox browser and usually end up with a blank page. >:(

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@?dg=brw :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    So why with the new version, can you not zoom as close in satellite imagery? You can actually zoom in closer in lite mode.

Yeah, the zoom feature works twice more in classic map mode than in satellite mode.