Options

Could we ever have a reality TV free autumn?

Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
Forum Member
As summer draws to a close, we are set to get TV and the media dominanted all autumn with Strictly and X Factor getting attention.

What makes it worse is the other channels seem to give up the ghost with alternatives to this.

Could there ever be a return to a schedule of family shows and drama or are those days over?

Comments

• Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always have a reality TV free year.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I think it will get worse.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from BBC1 and ITV (for obvious reasons) there is very little, if any, mention of these programmes on other channels.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I always have a reality TV free year.

Aye, vast swathes of this stuff passes me by without me noticing they exist at all.
    Edit: Mel B was on one of the Dancing programs and I missed it by years, I used to thing for her, and probably would have watched if I'd known she was on.
    I pretty much gave up looking at the mainstream channels of a Saturday evening when a teenager and I don't read tabloids.
    Then again I live on my own, and don't have a family that might want to watch this stuff.
    I suppose if you're in that position this stuff can get right on your nips.
    Used to seem like Friends was on a 24 hour loop when I was living with teenagers a couple of years back, theme tune was 'always' being played out.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As summer draws to a close, we are set to get TV and the media dominanted all autumn with Strictly and X Factor getting attention.

What makes it worse is the other channels seem to give up the ghost with alternatives to this.

Could there ever be a return to a schedule of family shows and drama or are those days over?
    And yet, those two programmes will no doubt get the largest audiences week on week for their respective runs, audiences far in excess of the 4 or 5 million at most seen at other times of the year.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Re: Could we ever have a reality TV free autumn?

Why would we want one ?

Other channels are available.
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I know there is other channels but, nine times out of ten it is slim pickings.

Yes x factor gets big audiences but please...use your heads tv execs.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are they actually reality TV? Or simply 'talent' show entertainment much like shows like Opportunity Knocks were?
  • Options
    bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Could we ever have a reality TV free autumn?

This would be great, especially if followed by a "reality*" TV free winter, then spring and summer.

*There is nothing "real" about these shows, they are all manipulated behind the scenes by producers, to get the result they want. Yet millions of mugs spend money on "voting" - astonishing!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I know there is other channels but, nine times out of ten it is slim pickings.

Yes x factor gets big audiences but please...use your heads tv execs.

This is all very vague, gawd knows what you want as an alternative.
    Use their heads in what way, come up with some unpopular programs instead?
    Ohh Slim Picken's remember him?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most reality shows tend to be shown on minor channels because they're cheap and disposable.
    One surefire way of avoiding them altogether is to watch news, sports and arts channels.
  • Options
    elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I pretty much gave up looking at the mainstream channels of a Saturday evening when a teenager and I don't read tabloids.

I haven't watched mainstream TV on a Saturday night for years either. When we are not out somewhere on a Saturday night my husband and I either spend it catching up with shows we have recorded during the week or if we have already caught up with them we watch a DVD.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elle77 wrote: »
    I haven't watched mainstream TV on a Saturday night for years either. When we are not out somewhere on a Saturday night my husband and I either spend it catching up with shows we have recorded during the week or if we have already caught up with them we watch a DVD.

I don't watch any tv live any more. The timing is never convenient for me to watch what I want to watch. I record it all or watch it online when I have time. I might end up behind everyone else, and I have to close my ears to people chatting about programmes at work, but at least I get to fast forward all the ads!

I will watch a bit of Strictly and X Factor, but again I fast forward through almost all of it,all the back story, most of the judges comments, all the vt of how they practised during the week. Makes it about 20 mins long. Perfect for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. I watch CBB and I'm A Celeb. Why would I want a break from them? It may surprise you but some people like reality tv. Lol, it's the same with anything - people will hate something someone else loves. Deal with it. :D
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It keeps going because some people like them. I don't, but don't watch them as there are other programmes to watch. Also a nchannel like MTV shows reality shows because they're cheap and disposable. You still have a lot of news, sport, factual, repeats, drama and music to watch
    I can remember when I'm a Celeb was on two years ago and BBC Two had a drama about Winston Churchill and this kept me occupied. I have been a bit stroppy about reality shows in the past, particularly before I got Freeview and three of the four channels had reality tripe on, but now I have more choice, I can avoid them.