Options

Jazz Services Campaign for More Jazz on the BBC

2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In my local library, I noticed a pile of colour postcards headed "Jazz Off Air".

It says "Please respond to the campaign by post or on-line by the 20th May", and alongside other information, it lists this website...

http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/JazzBusiness/JazzOffAir/tabid/206/Default.aspx

...which duplicates the contents of the postcard (which saves me from typing it all out here!).

Interesting that someone is paying to make these postcards, and distribute them to libraries. As it's London based, and I'm in North Yorkshire, I wonder if this is a national thing?

Cheers,
David.

Comments

• Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Jazz Services is a national Arts Council-funded organisation that promotes jazz across the UK.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    There was another thread on this I'm sure
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Interesting that someone is paying to make these postcards, and distribute them to libraries. As it's London based, and I'm in North Yorkshire, I wonder if this is a national thing?

It's only taxpayers' money, that seems to be the attitude of organisations like the Art Council.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find it questionable - though not surprising - that Arts Council money is being effectively used to moutn a politically motivated campaign.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it questionable - though not surprising - that Arts Council money is being effectively used to moutn a politically motivated campaign.

What's political about promoting jazz?
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Political?

If the BBC reduced the amount of classical music played, would it be "political" for an arts council funded group which supported orchestras to campaign against it?

But I agree it's a slightly strange thing to spend taxes on.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Political?

If the BBC reduced the amount of classical music played, would it be "political" for an arts council funded group which supported orchestras to campaign against it?

But I agree it's a slightly strange thing to spend taxes on.

Cheers,
    David.

Jazz Services is given public funding for its stated aims of promoting jazz. So using it to fund a campaign for more jazz on the radio is entirely appropriate. Less strange than spending it on nuclear weapons that will never be used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My point was, if there really was a market for brodcasting more jazz on the radio, you shouldn't need a part-publically funded campaign to call for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't it rather the point of the BBC to cover a wide range of genres and to please a wide range of audiences, irrespective of whether there is "a market for it" commercially?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bignoise wrote: »
    But isn't it rather the point of the BBC to cover a wide range of genres and to please a wide range of audiences, irrespective of whether there is "a market for it" commercially?

Yes it is. However, in my experience, these kinds of postcard campaigns don't work. Far better in my opinion to have a few original thoughts of your own, write them on the consultation page and lobby that way.

In the same way that some people say they don't want their licence fee being "wasted" on this or that, I don't want my lottery contributions and public money being "wasted" on funding these kinds of campaigns.
  • Options
    johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point was, if there really was a market for brodcasting more jazz on the radio, you shouldn't need a part-publically funded campaign to call for it.

There most certainly is a market for more 'real' jazz on the BBC.

Jazz Services shouldn't have to resort to card campaigns to achieve it. The thrust should come from the BBC itself as a responsible public service broadcaster.

If there were no market for Jazz, you wouldn't see a continuous stream of new recordings from jazz musicians nor reissues of classic albums.

Faced with BBC apathy, Jazz Services is doing the best it can to raise the profile by investing funds in this campaign, which is to be applauded.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If there were no market for Jazz, you wouldn't see a continuous stream of new recordings from jazz musicians nor reissues of classic albums.

Faced with BBC apathy, Jazz Services is doing the best it can to raise the profile by investing funds in this campaign, which is to be applauded.

The same could be said of almost any musical genre you care to mention.

If somebody wants to start a campaign, fair enough. But whichever way you look at it, at least some of the funding for this campaign has come from the Arts Council. Public money.

I hardly think that the BBC's coverage of the Cheltenham Jazz Festival this year could be classed as apathy.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same could be said of almost any musical genre you care to mention.

If somebody wants to start a campaign, fair enough. But whichever way you look at it, at least some of the funding for this campaign has come from the Arts Council. Public money.

Public money is also used to fund film production and live theatre. Promoting jazz isn't much different from helping publicise other branches of the arts.