Hebburn (BBC2)

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Like some of the humour in Only Fools and Horses might have been missed by someone not from South London?

Two totally different shows with different targets. OFAH was more visual at times and laugh at loud. Hebburn is more cerebral.

Though I admit, I struggle with some of the cockney words they use on OFAH.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    [/B]

Ah yes, I remember the first Big Night Out about 22 years ago if I'm not mistaken. And I remember thinking what the hell is this! But it did make me laugh.

I especially liked Les and his fear of chives. :)

But he loves a spirit level ! :-)
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched it and I thought it was good.
    I'll be watching it next week.
    I agree with the Gavin and Stacey comments.
    I wonder if Bob Mortimer will get his face in there somewhere ! :D
    Has Vic Reeves matured ? He's using his real name in this.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Two totally different shows with different targets. OFAH was more visual at times and laugh at loud. Hebburn is more cerebral.

There's load of cerenbal liguistic humour in OFAH
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Vic Reeves matured ? He's using his real name in this.

He used his real name when he played Eric's dad in the excellent bio.pic of Morecombe and Wise.
    Perhaps he's going to use it for his 'proper' acting roles.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Anyone else watching? Looking quite good and nice to see the blonde from Fresh Meat in something else.

Just caught the end of it. Very funny. Similar to Shameless but instead wholesome viewing ;)

Thought that the house looked too middleclass to be the home of a northern working class family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Newcastle just did a report from a pub in Hebburn that was airing it.

Landlord wasn't too impressed and said he wouldn't be switching over too much. A few hysterical laughs from the audience (mainly older women)

They asked them to rate it and it came out at 6/10
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I did notice a glaring mistake, though. In the pub, Jack is introduced to the fat guy by the other one... when in fact he already met the fat guy at the start of the episode.
    I noticed that aswell.

As for the accents I doubt it matters that much. Reeves is from Darlo but doesn't mean his character couldn't move to Hebburn.
    Also Nixon was brought up in Wales and you could still hear that accent coming through even though she said her parent live in York. Until we meet them we don't know if her parents are from York or moved there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Just caught the end of it. Very funny. Similar to Shameless but instead wholesome viewing ;)

Thought that the house looked too middleclass to be the home of a northern working class family.

A lot of North East council housing is pretty high quality stock compared to other areas and right to buy helped a lot folk. There's places in London and the Souththat NE councils would have demolished years ago.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of very funny moments (the bagels were inspired!) but it didn;t seem to hang together very well. Perhaps it was the need to introduce quite a lot of characters, in which case next week should be better.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    A lot of very funny moments (the bagels were inspired!) but it didn;t seem to hang together very well. Perhaps it was the need to introduce quite a lot of characters, in which case next week should be better.
    I was wondering if it was a one off pilot that got commissioned so then they had to make the rest of the series
    or if it was all written/filmed at once.

It did seem like a pilot and the end scenes seemed to wrap everything up.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »

Gina McKee was a lot better than I thought she'd be (I usually hate her weak performances) but I thought Vic Reeves could have had a better stab at a proper Geordie accent, rather than sticking with his own (Darlington?) accent.

Weak performances? She's a fabulous actress. I'm appalled and demand satisfaction. I'll see you on Boscombe Down at 6:00am, bring your own sabre.
    I'll have a pair of flintlock pistols but don't let that concern you.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Weak performances? She's a fabulous actress. I'm appalled and demand satisfaction. I'll see you on Boscombe Down at 6:00am, bring your own sabre.
    I'll have a pair of flintlock pistols but don't let that concern you.

She does seem to annoy a fair few people on here.
    She was in the Lennie James vehicle and there were some negative comments about her then.
    I don't mind her, myself.
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »

Cerebral, sorry that made me giggle, seeing it described as that.
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it. I missed some bits as the wife had just come in from work and wanted to talk :-o !!

But the parts I properly heard, were all good...some nice humour...I liked the characters...and it did make me laugh...so a good start and lets hope it continues to improve as all good sit-coms do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I was born and brought up in Hebburn and the house used is very typical of the area. Guessing it may not fit into some southerners ideas of what northern working class housing should look like but that probably shows more about their stereotypical views of the 'grim north' than the reality.

Thought the show showed promise and loved seeing 'the sights'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to turn it off half way through. No chemistry and just not funny. I will keep an eye on it but doubt I will return to this one.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I watched it and I enjoyed it. There were some very funny lines and moments that made me laugh out loud.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure what to make of it, and not sure if I will watch it again. I found it rather old fashioned.
    Forum Member
    enna_g wrote: »
    I am not sure what to make of it, and not sure if I will watch it again. I found it rather old fashioned.

Fish out of water is a concept as old has the hills.
    I suppose this one isn't very subtle, the characters are clearly a bit ott, played for laughs.
    Heard it compared to Cuckoo and Gavin and Stacey, neither of which I've really watched.

Oh I see some thread prunage has gone on.
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes. Never been pruned before. Ah well. It wasn't my wittiest stuff. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it quite funny be back next week
    Forum Member
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Oh yes. Never been pruned before. Ah well. It wasn't my wittiest stuff. :)

Wasn't 'that' interesting that it deserved prunage either, all rather innocuous for this place.
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't 'that' interesting that it deserved prunage either, all rather innocuous for this place.

Yep. Considering some of the flaming that occurs on other threads it was pretty low key, but I suppose there's no accounting for sensibilities.

Just watched the programme again and found myself smiling all the way through it. So many little gems, like Grans "unknown seepage", and the sister wiping her bits in the cubicle and then rubbing the kiss off Sarah's lips.

Loving it!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    The actress that plays the grandma - This annoying me - cannot place her - what has she been in ??