Options

"Affordable Mobiles" website

spiideyspiidey Posts: 16,296
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Has anyone used Affordable Mobiles for their mobile phone?

First and foremost, are they legitimate?

Has anyone tried to claim cashback (with success)?

I've seen the following iPhone on their site:-

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/vodafone/band_1_4s6a5ma33_yp600/apple/i_phone_5_s/68395674.html?source=webgains&source=webgains&siteid=22087&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=6986

linked to by moneysupermarket's price comparison tool:-

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/apple/iphone-5s-16gb-gold/

This reduces the cost from £33/month to £27.38/month but only through claiming the cashback. With 600 mins and 500mb.

The cheapest I can find elsewhere in that sort of mins/data range is £28.86/month for 500 mins/250mb (actually its £404.99 upfront and £11.99 monthly over 24 months, but that gives the £28.86 equivalent). So slightly more expensive for slightly less but carries with it the certainty of not having to try to claim cashback (although with only 250mb data carries the risk of using more data per month than allowance which could reverse that back again).

What are FM's thoughts on these two deals?

Is there any other deals cheaper on websites that I've maybe missed that do 300 mins (min) and 250mb data (min) for less than £27/month equivalent (for 24 month contract)?

Comments

• Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've purchased from Affordable Mobiles and had no issues - in fact they even honoured a price that was clearly an error, so I was very much impressed.

I wasn't claiming cashback though, so I can't comment on that.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    used them, very professional company.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Can't comment on them, however I have used mobile phones direct and I'd highly recommend them based purely on their price.

T-MOBILE
    500 Minutes
    Unlimited Texts
    Unlimited Mobile Internet
    £28.99 a month

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/phone/iphone-5c-16gb-blue#pay-monthly

Basically any T-Mobile or three deal is good as they both offer truly unlimited data. Three are also offering 4G for free
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the iPhones from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk are unlocked?
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I wouldnt get anything less than 3-5GB of data with an Iphone.

With just 500mb allowance you may as well not get a smartphone IMO!!
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »

1gb is plenty for most usage patterns. All depends if you listen to radio or iplayer a lot whilst on the move
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Most people use far less than "3-5GB" and pay for a much bigger allowance than they actually need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if the iPhones from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk are unlocked?

With my galaxy S4, they simply supplied an unlocked handset with a simcard, not sure about an iPhone but I don't see why not.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because as always Apple breaks industry standards and does things differently.

iPhones aren't sold locked. They lock to the network of the first SIM card you put in it after you buy it, except for ones bought directly from Apple.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    nafanny29 wrote: »

IMHO you are wrong.

most people have wifi at home, at work, at their friends houses.

500MB will not be enough if you stream a lot away from wifi. but for email, twitter and browsing it's fine.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    IMHO you are wrong.

most people have wifi at home, at work, at their friends houses.

500MB will not be enough if you stream a lot away from wifi. but for email, twitter and browsing it's fine.

+1
    Use wifi most of the time and most people dont have time to faff about watching youtube or stream movies when at work
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Because as always Apple breaks industry standards and does things differently.

iPhones aren't sold locked. They lock to the network of the first SIM card you put in it after you buy it, except for ones bought directly from Apple.

I believe Apple has two stock codes, ones intended for subsidised sale will lock to first SIM, and the other is intended for unsubsidised sale and won't lock. CPW and similar stores only have the first ones, so even sold SIM free they lock to first SIM.