Banished on BBC 2

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anybody see the great new series set in Van Daemons land in Australia in 1788, I tuned in and have to say I really enjoyed the first episode . Def one to watch over the next 7 weeks

Comments

• rockjackrockjack Posts: 13,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great.

I hope Russell hasn't hanged himself.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it, good storytelling and acting, looking forward to next week already. Good Drama follow up to Wolf Hall on BBC2.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent. Best new drama for a while.
  • MaureenGMaureenG Posts: 19,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see it but have recorded it.

I can't believe I'd missed any promos for this (if there were any) as I absolutely love Jimmy McGovern's work. I just happened upon it when looking at the TV guide tonight >:(

I'm really looking forward to watching it and I don't think I will be disappointed :)
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd give this a go but really wasn't expecting to like it. How wrong could I be. Hooked in the first few minutes, thoroughly enjoyed it and have set it on series record to ensure I don't miss the rest of it.
    What a refreshing change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaureenG wrote: »
    Didn't see it but have recorded it.

I can't believe I'd missed any promos for this (if there were any) as I absolutely love Jimmy McGovern's work. I just happened upon it when looking at the TV guide tonight >:(

I'm really looking forward to watching it and I don't think I will be disappointed :)

I haven't seen any promo either. Why has this been hidden away?
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One word - Excellent.

Having traced one side of our family, my cousin and I have an ancestor who was on the 1st or 2nd Fleet....plus a another ancestor who was married in the UK, transported to Australia a few years later and remarried another girl and had children. Also, have another ancestor, a great, great uncle who was with Captain Bligh, when Bligh was Governor of Australia.

It really was a very rough time for convicts, civilians and soldiers alike.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Haven't watched it yet, but it has not been hidden away. I've seen the trailer for this almost as much as I've seen Poldark's.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Wish I'd paid attention now, I was watching it, but drifted off through huge swathes of it.
    Might download it and try not browsing.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Here's another one who really enjoyed it.
    Reminded me a bit of that other series with Romola Garai, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant, although if I remember rightly, a lot of that was set on the ship going out to Australia.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed with it if I'm honest.
    One of those period pieces where they've "modernised" the language to suit the audience of today.
    Also found the incidental music incredibly intrusive.

Will stick with it to see where it goes.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just me nitpicking: the reverend was wearing a wedding ring, but in those days wedding rings were only for women, men didn't start wearing them until about the time of WW2.

Re Tommy & Elizabeth & their his insistence on having sex with her to the point of risking losing his life, well my OH & I have not had sex for over 2 years, this does not mean that our relationship is on the rocks - we are very much in love.

How times change, the term Godforsaken land was bandied about quite a bit, well I'm desperate to visit Australia & would book right now if I had the money!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed with it if I'm honest.
    One of those period pieces where they've "modernised" the language to suit the audience of today.
    Also found the incidental music incredibly intrusive.

Will stick with it to see where it goes.

I'm sure people cursed in those days.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Just me nitpicking: the reverend was wearing a wedding ring, but in those days wedding rings were only for women, men didn't start wearing them until about the time of WW2.

Re Tommy & Elizabeth & their his insistence on having sex with her to the point of risking losing his life, well my OH & I have not had sex for over 2 years, this does not mean that our relationship is on the rocks - we are very much in love.

How times change, the term Godforsaken land was bandied about quite a bit, well I'm desperate to visit Australia & would book right now if I had the money!

It was a pretty godforsaken place from all I have seen and read. If the soldiers did not kill you, the lack of food, poisonous snakes, spiders and goodness know what else, probably would.
    Apparently, because of the remote location where the filming took place the actors and crew were warned about being careful and try to avoid bumping into various venomous creatures....yuk, not for me....
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely superb. Gripping.
  • user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    It was excellent, really. I think there's a lot of good stuff on TV lately: Arthur & George, Banished..... and I cannot wait for Poldark. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely superb. Gripping.

You've got a writer who knows how to hook viewers in. Rather than spend time introducing an ensemble cast with a wandering 1st episode (like so many dramas of late) it stuck to a simple story. No doubt it will broaden out to include other characters in later episodes.
  • user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Just me nitpicking: the reverend was wearing a wedding ring...

I laughed when reading this. I spotted that detail too and my husband said that I was probably the only picky soul to "complain" about that. Glad I am not alone, LOL!:D
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I realy enjoyed it, and it was nice to watch something where it wasn't predictable.I had no clue as to who would survive or what would happen. It was nice to see a varied cast too with actors I knew from various things (two from Ripper Street) without anyone being the standout 'star'.

Did anyone think he was going to put that spider in the blacksmiths bed? Or was that just me?
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this and I didn't expect to. I only set it to record because it was 7 parts and I would have kicked myself if I'd seen good responses on here.
    Well I'm glad I did as I've just watched it and it was excellent. A good drama in my eyes is when you care about the characters straight from the off.
    Looking forward to next week already!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    I found it a bit plodding to be honest. And it is not possible to say you will not always be a convict. Once a convict always a convict even after you have finished your sentence.
  • Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this first episode. Loved the intriguing storyline and the way McGovern draws you in the story so as a viewer you are hooked to all the characters. Australia seems to have this inhospitable landscape yet it also has this raw beauty about it.

The acting was excellent with fascinating characters, even the baddies were good at being bad, the cinematography was breathtaking and storyline beguiling, that you want to know what happens next.
    Well done Jimmy McGovern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    It was a pretty godforsaken place from all I have seen and read. If the soldiers did not kill you, the lack of food, poisonous snakes, spiders and goodness know what else, probably would.
    Apparently, because of the remote location where the filming took place the actors and crew were warned about being careful and try to avoid bumping into various venomous creatures....yuk, not for me....

Life was pretty shit everywhere back then - if you were poor; I reckon 95% of the convicts sent to Australia were people who had to steal in order not to starve - not murderers/rapists & so on. When I've cleared my debts & can then get in to more debt by going on holiday to Australia, sleeping in hotels will hopefully protect me from creepy crawlies.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good first episode. That Scottish guy who is the 'bully' is one of those guys you can't help but liking.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not usually a fan of these types of costume/historical dramas as I often find them boring to get into. But this is the best of this style of dramas I've seen for probably years.
    There was no plodding exposition, it just dropped you right into the story from the get-go.

I wasn't really intending to watch it, but it was on in the background, and I watched the first couple of minutes, and I was gripped until the end.

So yes, I thought it was very good.
    I suppose if I looked for any criticism, I'd say that it might at times slip into melodrama and could potentially end up a bit soapy as it goes along. I think it might have made a bigger impact if they hanged the man, and perhaps it wasn't realistic that he was saved in the manner that he was. In a way I expected it was going to opt for a harsh and brutal conclusion. Maybe that might have made it seem more authentic with the times and been more hard hitting. But from this first episode I definitely intend to stick with it. I enjoyed what I saw, and the cinematography and production quality was excellent.