"Apple's iPhone launches no longer excite"

Comments

• zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    And the Galaxy Nexus did it before then - HTC did a very good Apple-esque job of taking a stock Android feature and making it seem like it was new and exciting and their own work.

I've no idea if HTC claimed it as their own or claimed it first, I just know that my phone had it.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    I've no idea if HTC claimed it as their own or claimed it first, I just know that my phone had it.
    Claimed might be a little strong but it was a feature they marketed the crap out of, making it seem like it was new and revolutionary when it wasn't really.

Of course, the adverts for the One X were cringe-worthily moronic anyway...
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.
    The new iPhone supports 850MHz, which falls within the range of the 800MHz spectrum that will be auctioned off.

So it will be possible for other networks to purchase spectrum for LTE usage that will be compatible.
    Though, by the time they can, chances are a new iPhone will be on it's way.

Well we are so far behind now with the 4G auctions it's a joke, they are saying now that they won't even properly happen in 2012, they won't finish until Q1 2013 so we won't see anything other than EE until late 2013 or early 2014.

It's a joke that some companies managed to delay the process so long with constant legal threats.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    What a let down by Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It's a joke that some companies managed to delay the process so long with constant legal threats.
    Yeah and the punchline (which I find hilarious) is that the people who will suffer the most are those responsible for the delays :D
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple did drive manufactures to improve their smartphone design when they launched the first iPhone. Back then there was Symbian and Windows Mobile which had been round long before Apple decided to get into making phones. Both were rather clunky and showed promise but were ultimately disappointing.

Then Android came along and showed promise but when first launched was severely lacking but they kept working on it and it got better.

Apple have in recent years sat on their laurels knowing their fans will buy anything. They have done the bare minimum to try and keep up. They have concentrated on suing Android in an attempt to destroy the main competition. The iPhone 5 will sell millions regardless.

Symbian is dead and Microsoft killed off Windows Mobile replacing it with Windows Phone which was one step forward and 2 steps back. Windows Phone 8 finally gets it back on track to where it should have been years ago.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh?
    They didn't say that, surely?

Yes, they did! Along with how the camera will make the world a more beautiful place.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever considered that the reason Android has such a high market share is the cost of the handsets, not the quality? I'm sure if Apple's devices were cheaper, they would have a bigger market share.

There has been an almighty Android shape crap that has been squitted out onto the market with cheaply made handsets.

Whenever I hear the words "My phone keeps resetting itself" "why has this thing turned itself off again" "when i send a text to someone it goes to someone completely different" "but it didn't ring", it's always, ALWAYS an Android handset they're complaining about.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Have you ever considered that the reason Android has such a high market share is the cost of the handsets, not the quality? I'm sure if Apple's devices were cheaper, they would have a bigger market share.

There has been an almighty Android shape crap that has been squitted out onto the market with cheaply made handsets.

Whenever I hear the words "My phone keeps resetting itself" "why has this thing turned itself off again" "when i send a text to someone it goes to someone completely different" "but it didn't ring", it's always, ALWAYS an Android handset they're complaining about.

I'd say that Android have a higher share is because they have more handsets to choose from, compared to the 3 iPhones that you can buy at the moment. The market is diluted with Android so obviously they will have a bigger share in that respect. I've personally never had Android. I went from Nokia N95 to iPhone4 and have been happy with it. The Galaxy S3 looks nice but I've not tried one. I'm most likely to stick to iPhone as I am comfortable with it. It does everything I want it to, what else could I possibly want it to? lol
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Do a search for those problems on the net, and you'll find a whole bunch of iphone stuff too. Point is no phone, no matter what the make has its own fair share of problems. Remember the 4 antenna problem for instance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Damn .... im going to have to go any bin all my S2 docks then when i upgrade to an S3 ????

oh ......

so I need to buy a £10 adapter to allow connection to a standard HDMI cable to replace the £10 adapter to connect to a standard HDMI cable that I had before ......

not quite the same as a £500 Bose system is it .....

Where the HDMI adapters even commonly used ?? You look around any electrical stores and see how many pieces of kit use the 'current' Apple connector :eek:

I use a bluetooth speaker dock and I use skifta to wifi link to my TV. No cables/connectors required :D

Wait... Damn .... im going to have to go any bin all my 30-pin docks then when i upgrade to an iPhone 5????

oh ......

so I need to buy a £10 adapter to allow connection to a standard 30-pin dock connector ......

Wake up!
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Wait... Damn .... im going to have to go any bin all my 30-pin docks then when i upgrade to an iPhone 5????
    oh ......
    o I need to buy a £10 adapter to allow connection to a standard 30-pin dock connector ......

Wake up!

You upgrading to the 5 then are you DP is the screen size perfect again for you ;) you little apple monkey you :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so I need to buy a £10 adapter to allow connection to a standard 30-pin dock connector ......

a tenner? Try not much change from £30....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Yes, they did! Along with how the camera will make the world a more beautiful place.
    I genuinely can't tell if you're taking the piss or they actually said that.

Sure it is :rolleyes:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely can't tell if you're taking the piss or they actually said that.

It does sound like a spoof, but truly, children look happier when using the iphone camera. *facepalm*
    Forum Member
    Word of advice to future Pulitzer prize photo journalists. Never use an iPhone 5 to photograph crying, starving orphans in war zones. It'll look like Christmas has come early for them if you do.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    It does sound like a spoof, but truly, children look happier when using the iphone camera. *facepalm*

Is "Facepalm" a new Apple marketing name for a feature all other phones have had for years? I wouldn't be surprised!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    You upgrading to the 5 then are you DP is the screen size perfect again for you ;) you little apple monkey you :D

No, I'm not upgrading to the 5. The screen is a bit bigger but by no means the huge monstrosity that seems to be the Android norm. However, the screen is still as wide as it used to be, meaning it can still be used with one hand.
    Sure it is :rolleyes:

HTC Desire: Owned by a friend of mine for two years. Sent for repair on no less than two occasions. Upgraded to the latest official release for that phone. Two weeks before he got rid of it, it was STILL sending text messages to random contacts. He'd take it out of his pocket and it was switched off.

HTC Desire S: Owned by a separate friend, for less than a year. Despite installing Ice Cream Sandwich, it still resets itself on a regular basis, during phone calls, while sending text messages. As recently as last week sent the same text message 27 times to my phone.

Samsung Galaxy S2: Random screen failures - the phone itself would be on but the screen not. Turned phone off and back on again to reset display. Microphone randomly fails to work during phone calls. Being on loud mode, would fail to play the ringtone.

I can go on and on. It's funny really. Two out of the three examples I just posted went on to upgrade to iPhones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can go on and on.
    Please do.

Because so far you've offered up 3 examples as proof that only Android handsets develop faults :yawn:
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    No, I'm not upgrading to the 5. The screen is a bit bigger but by no means the huge monstrosity that seems to be the Android norm. However, the screen is still as wide as it used to be, meaning it can still be used with one hand.

But DP the s2 was too big for you yet the i5 is the same bar 1mm. Or is now all about the 7 or so mm difference in width between the s2 and i5 that is vitally important :confused:

If so then by god apple have done it again for you created the perfect size screen yet again, I didn't think it was possible I should have had more faith in the big apple

(By the way I know 127 people with iphones from 3 to 4s and they have all explode 1 day out of warranty .. strange but true they all bought androids after that)
    Forum Member

HTC Desire: Owned by a friend of mine for two years. Sent for repair on no less than two occasions. Upgraded to the latest official release for that phone. Two weeks before he got rid of it, it was STILL sending text messages to random contacts. He'd take it out of his pocket and it was switched off.

HTC Desire S: Owned by a separate friend, for less than a year. Despite installing Ice Cream Sandwich, it still resets itself on a regular basis, during phone calls, while sending text messages. As recently as last week sent the same text message 27 times to my phone.

Samsung Galaxy S2: Random screen failures - the phone itself would be on but the screen not. Turned phone off and back on again to reset display. Microphone randomly fails to work during phone calls. Being on loud mode, would fail to play the ringtone.

I can go on and on. It's funny really. Two out of the three examples I just posted went on to upgrade to iPhones.

Any chance you could trawl this forum and post all the iPhone fault threads, don't have to include the antenna problems though, that wouldnt be fair on you.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member

Hahahahaha yes it's so funny isn't it!!

Except it's not.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate to accuse anyone of lying when I have no proof, so let's just say you have the unluckiest friends in the world.

My wife had an HTC Legend for 2 years. No problems. I've had an HTC Desire S for 18 months, no problems. My boss has an HTC Sensation, again, no problems.

Haven't you heard, Android phones 'just work'.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Haven't you heard, Android phones 'just work'.

Except when they don't

Bit like most things really