Why do people say 'fillum' instead of FILM?!

124»

Comments

• radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Because those with Geordie accents say some things that the Scottish do.

Aye=yes
    The morra=tomorrow
    ect.
    That's because the north east and Cumbria was part of Scotland, until it was taken from us.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I always thought that Fillum was a Dublin accent, I used to work with some Dubliners who spoke like that, they also said Cair for car.

In Nottingham they used to say things like gree un and schoo ul, and I've noticed that Americans do it as well.
    No I would say in general Dublin and the rest of the country say it... I think the way we say words is a lot to do with the Irish language, the Irish alphabet is only 18 letters long and the English "a" is replaced with a pronounced as "ah".... There is also a massive difference in the different provinces Dialects, that transferred to English and is why accents differ so greatly today, the most noticeable change in accent is between Ulster and Munster... Calk and cheese, totally different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I have an Irish friend who says "tree" instead of "three" - but then the river in London he pronounces "Thames" not "Tames".

Most odd !!
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    santa fe wrote: »
    I have an Irish friend who says "tree" instead of "three" - but then the river in London he pronounces "Thames" not "Tames".

Most odd !!
    Where's he from in Ireland? ... I would be along the same lines, we don't do it on purpose but that's the way we were brought up, thought and what everyone says...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised nobody has pointed out yet that apparently lot's of us now live in a country called Engerland
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say 'fillum'. I also say 'milluk' instead of 'milk'. Not sure I've ever heard anyone else say the alternative milk pronunciation before though.