Options

"The Affair", Showtime

Comments

• Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar said Scotty said "That's our baby".

That doesn't mean Scotty's, just the family's.

There's no way Scotty and Allison had a fling.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, then that would confirm that Cole and Alison slept together when Scotty came over to Cole/Alison's house and thought Cole had slept with Luisa. That scene was left rather ambiguously as in a 'Did they? Didn't they?'. It would appear that they did.

I have wondered why Noah seemed so cold toward the news of the baby. He is not unfeeling when it comes to children given his own response towards his own with Helen. So either he knows that the baby isn't his (he had a vasectomy no-one knows about) or he doesn't want children with Alison (either just yet or not at all), having had four of his own and not wanting to bring another into the world. Now that he is "free" from Helen, he seems to enjoy and bask in his newly found singlehood-ish, and having to share Alison with someone else seems a stumbling block to him at the moment. Either that or he is an incaring selfish human being.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Ah, then that would confirm that Cole and Alison slept together when Scotty came over to Cole/Alison's house and thought Cole had slept with Luisa. That scene was left rather ambiguously as in a 'Did they? Didn't they?'. It would appear that they did.

I have wondered why Noah seemed so cold toward the news of the baby. He is not unfeeling when it comes to children given his own response towards his own with Helen. So either he knows that the baby isn't his (he had a vasectomy no-one knows about) or he doesn't want children with Alison (either just yet or not at all), having had four of his own and not wanting to bring another into the world. Now that he is "free" from Helen, he seems to enjoy and bask in his newly found singlehood-ish, and having to share Alison with someone else seems a stumbling block to him at the moment. Either that or he is an incaring selfish human being.
    I don't think he wants more kids full stop, and he's probably worried it'll be a bit of a passion killer with Allison.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Whitney is getting on my last nerve. Can't stand the character!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to feel like that, but she's actually grown on me in this second series.

The face she made when kissing Cole in front of her Dad was just classic. A right little minx.

She killed Scotty.
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    mia75 wrote: »
    Whitney is getting on my last nerve. Can't stand the character!!!!

It's her shriekey Disney voice I can't stand!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ohmy at the hot tub scene!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How incredible was Dominic this week?. Brilliant performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mia75 wrote: »
    How incredible was Dominic this week?. Brilliant performance.

His best scene this season. And it finally made Noah look less than the selfish idiot he has so far been painted as. It was also quite lovely to watch a male character actually express his inner fears, hopes, hurts, disappointments, failings and so on.

Well performed by Cynthia Nixon (the therapist) too. It was quite mesmerising watching that whole threapy scene.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His best scene this season. And it finally made Noah look less than the selfish idiot he has so far been painted as. It was also quite lovely to watch a male character actually express his inner fears, hopes, hurts, disappointments, failings and so on.

Well performed by Cynthia Nixon (the therapist) too. It was quite mesmerising watching that whole threapy scene.

Interesting reading comments after show on social media. So many just haven't connected with this scene. They've decided who Noah is based on watching over last few episodes but haven't listened to the last one. The other 3 characters are easy to understand as their motivations are blatently obvious. Their bad decisions easy to understand and forgive. With Noah it is internal and the use of a therapist was exactly what was needed. It's interesting that Noah is being called every name under the sun but it's Alison who is letting him think her daughter is his when she is uncertain at best / knows she's not at worst. Social media dominated by female viewers?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maura Tierney has been nominated for best supporting actress at the golden globes
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    I nearly gave up on this today cause of that awful daughter, the obnoxious brat with the squeaky voice! Hopefully she won't figure in it too much except as a supporting character. And I wish Dominic would get a decent haircut. Looks like someone has hacked at it with a bread knife!

Apart from that, this is a great series for grown ups, no car chases, CGI or over-acting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maura Tierney has been nominated for best supporting actress at the golden globes

Helen is the best written character this season. Interesting that The Affair is not nominated as Best Drama having won last year. Personally I don't think it has been the same quality having swayed too much into soapy arena. Ruth Wilson superb in season 1 has been let down by writing for her character. Too much plot line stuff rather than drawing on her abilities to portray the turmoil within Alison. As I said earlier Noah has been taken down a well trodden bad boy route. Well acted but it took the therapy scene to really let Dominic West excel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Interesting reading comments after show on social media. So many just haven't connected with this scene. They've decided who Noah is based on watching over last few episodes but haven't listened to the last one. The other 3 characters are easy to understand as their motivations are blatently obvious. Their bad decisions easy to understand and forgive. With Noah it is internal and the use of a therapist was exactly what was needed. It's interesting that Noah is being called every name under the sun but it's Alison who is letting him think her daughter is his when she is uncertain at best / knows she's not at worst. Social media dominated by female viewers?

Yes, of course! That makes sense especially given that he is a writer.

Couldn't agree more about Alison. Did it not occur to her that Noah might be the father and even after the doc said she was labour a whole five weeks before the day she thought she was due? She is/was a nurse for goodness sake. So it only took drug-addicted, stone broke, semi-useless Scotty to figure it out, look - no, stare at the baby, drop some cyptic clue that is aimed at her direction, and hey! presto! the penny finally drops.

I sure hope Scotty didn't die because of this *inconvenient* truth. For a well-written drama of season 1 quality, that would be disappointing.

ETA: Thanks about how that scene was received via social media.:) Very interesting as I had no idea.
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Helen is the best written character this season. Interesting that The Affair is not nominated as Best Drama having won last year. Personally I don't think it has been the same quality having swayed too much into soapy arena. Ruth Wilson superb in season 1 has been let down by writing for her character. Too much plot line stuff rather than drawing on her abilities to portray the turmoil within Alison. As I said earlier Noah has been taken down a well trodden bad boy route. Well acted but it took the therapy scene to really let Dominic West excel.

Yeah, too right. It also doesn't help that the writers have written her character into this "ex-wife/mother/girlfirend/fiancée/wife only" box and who is too often in this season seen through the gaze of what she thinks Cole and Noah might think and feel about her. It's too narrow and limiting a scope for her character. She needs a right old kick up the bum from her hippie, mad mother:D. Alison has some really good scenes with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course! That makes sense especially given that he is a writer.

Couldn't agree more about Alison. Did it not occur to her that Noah might be the father and even after the doc said she was labour a whole five weeks before the day she thought she was due? She is/was a nurse for goodness sake. So it only took drug-addicted, stone broke, semi-useless Scotty to figure it out, look - no, stare at the baby, drop some cyptic clue that is aimed at her direction, and hey! presto! the penny finally drops.

I sure hope Scotty didn't die because of this *inconvenient* truth. For a well-written drama of season 1 quality, that would be disappointing.

ETA: Thanks about how that scene was received via social media.:) Very interesting as I had no idea.

Yeah, too right. It also doesn't help that the writers have written her character into this "ex-wife/mother/girlfirend/fiancée/wife only" box and who is too often in this season seen through the gaze of what she thinks Cole and Noah might think and feel about her. It's too narrow and limiting a scope for her character. She needs a right old kick up the bum from her hippie, mad mother:D. Alison has some really good scenes with her.

It's the who's the Daddy that has taken this onto soapy arena. I get to keep it going they need to keep an ongoing connection between the characters and children provide that I suppose. Labouring of this is getting too much (for me). Like you I hope it's not the reason for Scotty death but it's looking more likely. I do think though that there is a story about Gabriel that has still to come out.

As for Alison I agree her character has lost identity this series. She's become flat. Having her back in Montauk next week may energise the character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I think that show has lost some of it's power and is getting more plot driven but as for finale.

The central issue of this season is Noah's inability to separate his fantasy of Alison from the actual person. We know the ending of his book is him killing Alison in a car accident. We've seen when he is angry with Alison he drops into a fantasy of doing this. We know via the flash forwards that they had a massive argument at Cole wedding and left early, cancelling their overnight stay at The End. The road we see in the fantasy is the one leading from The End. My theory is that in his anger this time he actually goes to hit Alison in his fantasy. The reality is that he hits Scotty. So attempted murder of Alison in his fantasy is actually accidentally killing Scotty. Alison is either in car with him or nearby after arguing with Scotty. She is relieved her secret is safe. The fantasy is complete and Noah and Alison are able to move on and they are happy as we saw when Noah was arrested. Next series will be the fall out from all of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just seen the finale.

WOW!!!.........that's all I've got right now lol
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Great performances from all four of the main protaganists.

Noah is still a self serving douche.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Great performances from all four of the main protaganists.

Noah is still a self serving douche.

His basic nature is what it is, and it is practically hilarious that he usually comes off badly even in his own recollections of events, but taking the blame to protect both Helen and Alison is certainly not "self-serving." It is actually quite noble.

Anyway, I want to say that this season was even better than season one. Fantastic series. One of the very best series going, really.
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar said Scotty said "That's our baby".

That doesn't mean Scotty's, just the family's.

There's no way Scotty and Allison had a fling.

Exactly right.

What a soap opera.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    What a soap opera.

If "soap operas" were made to the artistic and technical standard that this show is, there would be nothing disreputable about soap operas.
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and so? She was being attacked, she fought back, a car was coming. Big deal.

Accident.

Get a good lawyer, lady.

And West? Learn to act. Glares don't count as acting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So EVERYBODY killed would-be rapist Scotty. What a cop out.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't see that coing. Doubt Scotty did either.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I have enjoyed this season, a few things have bugged me

Joanie not being Noah's daughter. Silly and a very classic soap opera storyline that does not belong in this show.

The speed up of time. The majority of the first season took place over the summer and then sped it up a little bit. This season has sped up time too much. Allison's pregnancy, Noah's novel success, Helen's relationship with the doctor, Whitney's personal doings and the business that Allison and Cole brought together all came and concluded with the last half of the season. Within 12 episodes, we have seen nearly three years of these characters lives and at times, I had to remind myself where I was. They seemed keen for the show to catch up with present events and it allowed promising storyline to come and go before viewers could potentially embrace it.

I thought the reveal of Allison being responsible for Scottie's death was dreadfully obvious. It had been alluded to it was her for most of the season and the fact it was her, felt dissatisfying. I liked the idea of Helen killing Scottie by accident while drunk a much more interesting reveal, and for Noah to help cover it up for her.