Options

The EMPIRE Thread

Comments

• Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Once I'd got it in my head that the sound of the gun barrel was more like a typewriter, that final scene sort of lost it's power.

:D
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anika being pregnant with Hakeem's child was a good twist. The scene with Anika and Rhonda was good but not developed properly. Can't wait for Luscious and Cookie to find out about Hakeem and Anika

Did the rap battle between Hakeem and Freda have to last so long? And Andre was literally in that episode for 3 minutes

Not sure what the point in Cookie's sister or Hakeem's Mexican girlfriend getting into that car was
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Anika being pregnant with Hakeem's child was a good twist. The scene with Anika and Rhonda was good but not developed properly. Can't wait for Luscious and Cookie to find out about Hakeem and Anika

Did the rap battle between Hakeem and Freda have to last so long? And Andre was literally in that episode for 3 minutes

Not sure what the point in Cookie's sister or Hakeem's Mexican girlfriend getting into that car was

Anika was the driver wasn't she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Anika was the driver wasn't she?

The woman looked blonde though
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman looked blonde though

Yes, that's because Anika was wearing a blonde wig:D It was Anika driving the car. It looks like the joke passed you by, djfunnyman:D;-):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Yes, that's because Anika was wearing a blonde wig:D It was Anika driving the car. It looks like the joke passed you by, djfunnyman:D;-):p

Unfortunately it did. That now makes a lot of sense
  • Options
    Mrs_JMrs_J Posts: 50
    Forum Member

I thought everyone knew about Hakeem and Anika? they didnt really hide the fact they were sleeping together, Lucious actually walked in on them in Season 1 as they planned it that way.
    The rap battle was what the show was building up to so needed to be that long.
    Anika is going to kidnap Hakeems girlfriend as she was the driver.
    Cookie's sister will be explained next week i assume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs_J wrote: »
    I thought everyone knew about Hakeem and Anika? they didnt really hide the fact they were sleeping together, Lucious actually walked in on them in Season 1 as they planned it that way.
    The rap battle was what the show was building up to so needed to be that long.
    Anika is going to kidnap Hakeems girlfriend as she was the driver.
    Cookie's sister will be explained next week i assume.

But Anika being pregnant is still a big twist
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    It was Anika driving the car. It looks like the joke passed you by, djfunnyman:D;-):p

I didn't realise it was her either and I had to consult Google to find out what the heck that scene was all about, ha ha!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But Anika being pregnant is still a big twist

Yes I quite liked that they bought that into it :)
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    But what about Jamal being turned? Are they now going to switch him from being gay to a drinker of the furry cup, as Ali G once said. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But what about Jamal being turned? Are they now going to switch him from being gay to a drinker of the furry cup, as Ali G once said. :D

Did I miss something? Why do you think they're turning him straight??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs_J wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Why do you think they're turning him straight??

I think that because of the look he gave the female singer in the studio with him, and the fact that they kissed, lips not a peck on the cheek. While they probably won't turn him completely, thus alienating the gay audience, the writers may well try to convince us that he swings both ways.

Personally, i don't care what he swings or with whom, just as long as the songs and the acting remain good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that because of the look he gave the female singer in the studio with him, and the fact that they kissed, lips not a peck on the cheek. While they probably won't turn him completely, thus alienating the gay audience, the writers may well try to convince us that he swings both ways.

Personally, i don't care what he swings or with whom, just as long as the songs and the acting remain good.

Is this US Pace?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never having been pregnant myself, is it normal to go batshit crazy within a few moments of finding out you're with child?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never having been pregnant myself, is it normal to go batshit crazy within a few moments of finding out you're with child?

well, as i'm currently 27 weeks pregnant into my 3 pregnancy, i can safely say that, no it's not normal! lol!! :D
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly I'm hanging on now, it's all just getting a little predictable, and is it me but are the musical interludes getting longer?
  • Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad that Jamal's storyline has been revved up again. I also wondered if the girl singer has turned him. He said he was a OG Superfan.
    There weren't any OMG moments in this last episode except for that kiss at the end. My hubby noticed I was rather quiet Tuesday night. He usually hears me whooping several times during Empire- I watch TV on the ground floor of our house while he works on his computer upstairs. On Tuesday he only heard me whooping at the end of the episode with Jamal.
    I think Anika has gone batshit crazy. She lost a lot when she broke up with Lucious. Maybe she hopes to get some status (and her old luxe lifestyle )back by getting back with Hakeem and then telling him she's preggers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jamaal was always the straightest ever gay man so not a surprising twist

A solid, unspectacular episode. I do think the Hakeem/Anika reveal should be sooner rather than later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamaal was always the straightest ever gay man so not a surprising twist.

Well, according to the last episode I saw, Jamal made it clear that his unspecified love action was not something that he intended repeating, 'cause he was into guys. For me, this weakened the credibility of the character. Straight or gay, most adults know who they are and what lights their candle, and don't turn on a sixpence. I can only assume it was included because there's some kind of pay off further down the line, possibly with the gay promoter not wanting to help any more?

BTW, how telegraphed was that stair fall scene. The minute the camera lingered, two episodes ago, we said that Mrs Andre was going down those stairs. Yawn. Could do without such predictability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, according to the last episode I saw, Jamal made it clear that his unspecified love action was not something that he intended repeating, 'cause he was into guys. For me, this weakened the credibility of the character. Straight or gay, most adults know who they are and what lights their candle, and don't turn on a sixpence. I can only assume it was included because there's some kind of pay off further down the line, possibly with the gay promoter not wanting to help any more?

BTW, how telegraphed was that stair fall scene. The minute the camera lingered, two episodes ago, we said that Mrs Andre was going down those stairs. Yawn. Could do without such predictability.

Spoiler tags please! I haven't watched that far ahead
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spoiler tags please! I haven't watched that far ahead

here here!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a dramatic episode before the break! Is Rhonda still alive? Did Anika push her? Luscious and Jamaal now in competition. Hakeem betraying the whole family by voting for Camille to be chair of Empire. Hakeem now has 3 women fighting over him! I wonder if Hakeem will come back to Empire, especially with Luscious and Jamaal now in competition?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crikey, that's got to be the best 'Soap fall down the stairs' stunt I've ever scene.

I winced!
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, that ending! Poor Rhonda. :( That was definitely one of the best episodes of the series, pity we now have to wait months for the next one!

I disliked the Jamal storyline, that along with the shoddy writing treatment of his relationship with Michael just proves to me that they really don't give a crap about portraying Jamal's sexuality in a believable or particularly engaging way. It's just a plot device to be pulled out when it suits the motives of Jamal and characters around him. Very lazy.

Hakeem has been the biggest revelation this series. Good on him for selling Luscious out, I'd have done exactly the same thing.