Options

Will Radio 3 die?

Comments

• Options
    BrightonelectriBrightonelectri Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    All EU countries have a <high culture> channel, France has France Musique AND France Culture. Spain has Radio Classica AND Radio Catalunya Classical music stations. Germany has regional arts and music stations. The measure of Radio 3's importance is the QUALITY of the programmes,not the vast audience commanded by pop stations. The relative cost is partly the provision of several first class orchestras run by the BBC.
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jam2000 wrote: »
    It should do, it has very few listeners and very high costs. Scrap it! Then use the space on FM for Radio 5 and up the rates on DAB.
    Yeah, right! Like we need that totally numbskull radio station BBC 5 live on FM. If ever there was one BBC radio station deserving the chop there's one painfully obvious target.
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I think Classic FM has its place as aural wallpaper playing those bits of 'classical' music or parts thereof that won't offend untrained ears.
    The trouble is that they are not very adventurous and are playing safe all the time, except say, after about 9pm when they might play complete works. What irritates me, should I listen in, are the type of presenters they use and of course the style of the programmes that are based around the concept of 'easy listening' or something that will not be too involving for the listener i.e everything that that Radio 3 isn't.
    I've been listening to Radio 3 since its inception and what went before (3rd programme) and if it should cease then I can only hope that it is after I depart this mortal coil first.
    Couldn't put it better, myself. Listening to Classic FM is like listening to a big muzacal tape loop, and with all those irritating adverts too, sandwiched in between the muzak...:yawn:
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All EU countries have a <high culture> channel, France has France Musique AND France Culture. Spain has Radio Classica AND Radio Catalunya Classical music stations. Germany has regional arts and music stations. The measure of Radio 3's importance is the QUALITY of the programmes,not the vast audience commanded by pop stations. The relative cost is partly the provision of several first class orchestras run by the BBC.

That is true, but are these services in our European neighbouring countries also publicly funded like the BBC?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its already covered by Classic FM.

Classic FM is nothing like Radio Three. If that were the case then every BBC radio station that plays a pop record (1, 2, 1Xtra, 6 Music and local radio) could be scrapped as Heart plays pop records, we could also scrap 5 Live as we have Talksport etc. etc.

Radio Three is expensive because it broadcasts live classical concerts for a start. 100 musicians don't play for nothing, though they don't get paid magabucks like some pop stars do. A radio play has a cost. Then there's the live jazz. Specially commisioned works AND unparralled high technical standards also add to the cost. Radio Three is a wonderful resource that for those who can be bothered to make an effort to listen can be hugely enjoyable and life affirming. I enjoy music of all kinds and find Radio Three and 6 Music between them covering my needs. That said, I don't have the slightest interest in sport, but I'm not about to say that 5 Live should be closed down in favour of Talksport!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Powerplay wrote: »
    That is true, but are these services in our European neighbouring countries also publicly funded like the BBC?

Yes, the vast majority of the European PSB's have a classical music and arts station:

Ireland - RTE Lyric FM
    Norway - NRK P2
    Denmark - DR P2
    Sweden - SVT P2
    Italy - RAI Radio 3
    Portugal - RTP Antenna 2
    Belgium - VRT Klara (Flanders), RTBF Musiq'3 (Wallonia)
    Netherlands - Nederland Radio 4
    Croatia - HRT Radio 3
    Slovenia - RTVSlo Radio ARS

Those are just a few examples, but nearly all major PSB's in Europe have a classical music station. I think this is a requirement for being part of the EBU. :)
  • Options
    jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2013 Radio3 will go, as once the Conservatives get back into power they are planning to axe the licence fee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    2013 Radio3 will go, as once the Conservatives get back into power they are planning to axe the licence fee.

Rubbish, the public wouldn't put up with the tories trying to destory one of the best institutions in the world. :rolleyes:

It seems the tories share the same selfish 'me me me' attitude of some of the people who are anti-BBC Radio 3. :)
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Margaret Thatcher couldn't do it (and she wanted to) the present lot most certainly won't. :)
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

Looking through your posts on this thread alone, it's pretty clear that you have little understanding of broadcasting formats or broadcasting policy.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic I realise but last year, I invested in two DAB radio for the house purely on the basis that one of them had that handy recording facility onto an SD card.
    However, apart from the usual FM stations that are there, what a load of old tat there is on the DAB muxes.
    Wouldn't waste my ears on 90+% of them.

If money is the issue then get rid of most of those broadcast 'pop' stations and keep R3.
    Of course they have already started by axeing two of them, haven't they?
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic I realise but last year, I invested in two DAB radio for the house purely on the basis that one of them had that handy recording facility onto an SD card.
    However, apart from the usual FM stations that are there, what a load of old tat there is on the DAB muxes.
    Wouldn't waste my ears on 90+% of them.

If money is the issue then get rid of most of those broadcast 'pop' stations and keep R3.
    Of course they have already started by axeing two of them, haven't they?

Presumably you're not wasting your time listening to these 'pop tat' stations though?

G
  • Options
    spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It has been mentioned in previous posts here but just to reiterate with some facts included, Radio 3 and in particular one of their programmes "Composer of the Week" has the highest A1 rating of any programme on radio in the UK (Source BBC).
    They are not going to let any tin-pot Tory interfere with their station. They had the BBC begging for mercy within a matter of days, a few years back when they tried to permanently reduce the bit rates on DAB so they have been warned.

BTW I hope your location in Cambs. is not the University, or we are in trouble as a nation.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spanners wrote: »
    It has been mentioned in previous posts here but just to reiterate with some facts included, Radio 3 and in particular one of their programmes "Composer of the Week" has the highest A1 rating of any programme on radio in the UK (Source BBC).

I have to say if BBC should be measuring on anything it should be AI.

G
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might add that the BBC's proposal in the early 1990s to remove Radio 4 from long wave - not close the station or change it in any significant way - but simply to remove it from one inferior (to many people) frequency, met with such a backlash that the plan had to be abandoned, which is how we come to have Radio 5 Live in its present form.

With its much wider availability via digital platforms I wonder whether they'd actually get away with that plan today. As far as I'm aware it isn't on the agenda at all now but I still think they'd meet with considerable opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    Presumably you're not wasting your time listening to these 'pop tat' stations though?

G

Obviously after scanning in the available stations I sampled them, as anyone would. Need I say more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not going to let any tin-pot Tory interfere with their station. They had the BBC begging for mercy within a matter of days, a few years back when they tried to permanently reduce the bit rates on DAB so they have been warned.

BTW I hope your location in Cambs. is not the University, or we are in trouble as a nation.

2013 is when i believe the licence fee is up for review.

Bye bye Radio 3!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I wouldnt expect anything less from a snob.

I for one know that the nation is already in trouble not from my generation though.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bye bye Radio 3!

I doubt it.

Radio3 does have a high cost per listener/hour. The reason for this high cost is undoubtedly quality. Radio3 has achieved a quality that currently probably surpasses anything ever achieved in radio, anywhere. There is a better ballance between music genres, the station is both much less elitist and the listener base is higher than, practically it has ever been.

However, listening to all the fallout from the R_6M/BBC_AN: it isn't viable to say the R3 should be untouched, simply because I like it, or to justify ring-fencing due to uniqueness. After all lots of things are unique, some are unique and good, but that doesn't always prove the case for public subvention in hard times.

I think you're wrong about Radio3 closing though. If need be the cost per listener/hour could be brought right down, at the expense of quality and diversity. You could close orchestras, reduce/sell the Proms to commercial sponsorship, stop development an commissioning of new works. Radio3 would then still exist but rely on BBC owned recordings (at least those with minor residuals), EBU collaborations and commercial sponsorship.

In fact it would end up a bit like those FM stations that often partner NPR affiliates. But, worse it would be more elitist than now.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Classic FM has its place as aural wallpaper playing those bits of 'classical' music or parts thereof that won't offend untrained ears.
    The trouble is that they are not very adventurous and are playing safe all the time, except say, after about 9pm when they might play complete works. What irritates me, should I listen in, are the type of presenters they use and of course the style of the programmes that are based around the concept of 'easy listening' or something that will not be too involving for the listener i.e everything that that Radio 3 isn't.
    I've been listening to Radio 3 since its inception and what went before (3rd programme) and if it should cease then I can only hope that it is after I depart this mortal coil first.

I heard Simon Bates say that 2010 was 'the centenary' of Chopin's birth (it isn't it's the bi-centenary) and he repeated the mistake several times in his link. Typical of the station as a whole imo..............
    Talk about sloppy presentation.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Radio3 does have a high cost per listener/hour. The reason for this high cost is undoubtedly quality. Radio3 has achieved a quality that currently probably surpasses anything ever achieved in radio, anywhere. There is a better ballance between music genres, the station is both much less elitist and the listener base is higher than, practically it has ever been.

However, listening to all the fallout from the R_6M/BBC_AN: it isn't viable to say the R3 should be untouched, simply because I like it, or to justify ring-fencing due to uniqueness. After all lots of things are unique, some are unique and good, but that doesn't always prove the case for public subvention in hard times.

I think you're wrong about Radio3 closing though. If need be the cost per listener/hour could be brought right down, at the expense of quality and diversity. You could close orchestras, reduce/sell the Proms to commercial sponsorship, stop development an commissioning of new works. Radio3 would then still exist but rely on BBC owned recordings (at least those with minor residuals), EBU collaborations and commercial sponsorship.

In fact it would end up a bit like those FM stations that often partner NPR affiliates. But, worse it would be more elitist than now.

Radio 3 has hardly any listeners.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    But that's nearly 2p per listener more than the next most expensive station. On a cost per listener basis (supposedly why 6Music is being axed) Radio 3 is defenceless.
    Hardly - 6 music is just CDs (albeit some of them from the BBC's live archive) and DJs. This formula can be (and is) done far cheaper.

Radio 3 includes a huge amount of live music. Show me another station providing the same service at a lower cost, and you'll have a point. I won't hold my breath!

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas DigitalSpy has one of the lowest A1 ratings of any internet forum ;) (well, there must be far worse - but DS is hardly a high point of the 'net!)

Not much point discussing Radio 3 here - you'll just feed silly little teenage trolls.

Sadly gone are the days when the BBC produced intelligent programming, and a person's inability to understand it was seen as that person's loss. Now most things are dumbed down to the point that even an idiot could get some grasp of what's said. Then these same idiots foolishly think that their opinions matter, reach for their keyboards, and type them into the DS message board.

I suppose that's why R3 scares them - it has "dumbed down" somewhat, but it started from such a high point that it's only just reached the level that most other stations hit 20 years ago.

R3 won't go - not a chance. But if it goes in search of higher ratings again, that would be a real worry.

Cheers,
    David.

(There should be at least one more smiley somewhere in this post, but I'm not sure where ;) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Hardly - 6 music is just CDs (albeit some of them from the BBC's live archive) and DJs. This formula can be (and is) done far cheaper.

Radio 3 includes a huge amount of live music. Show me another station providing the same service at a lower cost, and you'll have a point. I won't hold my breath!

Cheers,
    David.

Both 6 and 3 are quality stations the BBC SHOULD be running. Heaven help us if we ever get left with commercial or nothing, or a half arsed NPR as a sop. You should be spelling out support for a quality and diverse BBC to all those who seek election. They all sing similar tunes on the economy, but how do they stand on "quality" public provision like the BBC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Whereas DigitalSpy has one of the lowest A1 ratings of any internet forum ;) (well, there must be far worse - but DS is hardly a high point of the 'net!)

Not much point discussing Radio 3 here - you'll just feed silly little teenage trolls.

Sadly gone are the days when the BBC produced intelligent programming, and a person's inability to understand it was seen as that person's loss. Now most things are dumbed down to the point that even an idiot could get some grasp of what's said. Then these same idiots foolishly think that their opinions matter, reach for their keyboards, and type them into the DS message board.

I suppose that's why R3 scares them - it has "dumbed down" somewhat, but it started from such a high point that it's only just reached the level that most other stations hit 20 years ago.

R3 won't go - not a chance. But if it goes in search of higher ratings again, that would be a real worry.

Cheers,
    David.

(There should be at least one more smiley somewhere in this post, but I'm not sure where ;) )

Unfortunately, it is already acknowledged that R3 has dumbed down over the last 10 years or so. The types of programme have changed at certain times of the day, eg breakfast time when there is a mishmash of music on similar to Classic FM in certain respects but at least has a more eclectic range of music.
    I don't like it personally speaking, still rather having complete longer works but this apparently is not was is seen to be what listeners want in the morning when they might be travelling around.
    However, if I were given the choice of CFM or R3 at these times then there is not doubt I would choose the latter. Alternatively I would turn them all off and listen to my extensive classical CD collection which I also have now on my MP3 player