Options

A silly little thing in network icon on system tray

Hi this isn't a problem as such just wondering if anyone knew a fix, I'll explain.

I've just got an Xbox and am now connecting it through my laptop to go Live. Everything works fine with that

It's just when I did it the icon in my system tray registered the new connection and that is what it shows so rather than showing the wireless strength all is shows is either connected by Ethernet port or not connected.

I was basically wondering if there was an easy way to get it showing my wireless signal again?

Comments

• Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you get wireless for the Xbox, or connect it to your router via a cable? It would be much less hassle in the long run. Plus the laptop wouldn't have to be on to connect the Xbox to the Internet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiller15 wrote: »
    Couldn't you get wireless for the Xbox, or connect it to your router via a cable? It would be much less hassle in the long run. Plus the laptop wouldn't have to be on to connect the Xbox to the Internet.

No I'm broke and that's not the question I asked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    No, but it was a possible solution. Can you not run a cable to the router to the Xbox?

Does the icon stay like that even when the Xbox isn't on? When the icon is like that, what network connections are being used? (Check in Network Adapters in Network and Sharing Centre/Control Panel).
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/20m-CAT-6-RJ45-UTP-Moulded-Patch-Cable-10-100-1000

Shouldn't realy break the bank at those prices!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »

What exactly don't you understand about broke, we've got £8 to feed us for a week, yes it would break the bank.

And why are you showing me the price for a cable? My router is two rooms away, perhaps you could also cost the price for the drill as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly don't you understand about broke, we've got £8 to feed us for a week, yes it would break the bank.
    Well you shouldn't have spent all your money on an Xbox then, should you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you shouldn't have spent all your money on an Xbox then, should you?

I didn't, if you've got nothing sensible to say try keeping it shut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't, if you've got nothing sensible to say try keeping it shut.
    You ask for advice, then snap at people who try to offer it. I'd be surprised if anyone wants to help you.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Perfect examples of how not to behave when asking people for help.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand the issue?

Are you saying the windows wireless icon on your laptop is now missing?
    If so, (assuming XP), right click My Network Places>Properties>right click the wireless connection>properties>check the box at the bottom that says show the icon when connected.

That what you mean?

TL

ps: I'd also suggest you be polite when others offer advice or help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand the issue?

Are you saying the windows wireless icon on your laptop is now missing?
    If so, (assuming XP), right click My Network Places>Properties>right click the wireless connection>properties>check the box at the bottom that says show the icon when connected.

That what you mean?

TL

ps: I'd also suggest you be polite when others offer advice or help.

But they haven't offered advice or help have they, and the problem is now the icon is showing the connection to my xbox not to the wireless network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they haven't offered advice or help have they, and the problem is now the icon is showing the connection to my xbox not to the wireless network.

Ok.

If you right click My network places>properties, how many wireless conenctions show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I offered alternatives to connect your Xbox to the Internet, which would mean you don't have to use your laptop. That is advice what ever way you look at it.

On a side note, have you checked in Network Adapters to see what network links are active?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, pm me your address if you want a few LAN cables to connect from your XBOX straight to your router......it's the easiest thing to do in this case.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is getting ugly.

If the OP is using a wireless connection to the Internet, and a wired connection to the Xbox, then those connections must be bridged.

As such, I don't think you can display the network icon for a bridged connection. Try a separate utility like this.