Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• 1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    First thing I want to say is that though I don't contribute much to threads about The Killing and Borgen, I do watch them as avidly as those who post on these threads. I mainly enjoy just reading the comments on them and as someone who used to complain about the lack of foreign language dramas on British tv, its a joy to see them not only being shown but actually being watched with decent viewing figures. As well as being commented on forums like this!

In response to your posts, I agree its a shame the Americans can't embrace sub-titled dramas currently like we do but we should be careful before criticising them too much as it wasn't that long ago our own networks were showing zero sub-titled dramas. Its great we're finally watching sub-titled dramas and this can only be good for us as this makes us more open-minded about other countries as we learn about them and their cultures, and the BBC and other UK networks might take a few pointers from Danish tv on how to improve our own drama output, just as the Danes learned from British -and American- tv in the past to improve their drama output.

Nonetheless we must remember that we went through a very long period of showing little if any sub-titled drama before BBC4 showed French drama The Spiral which slowly, but surely, started the increase in the channel's output from other European countries.
    Perhaps some people will disagree with me and we probably did show the odd sub-titled drama here and there during the last twenty years or so but I don't think we've ever had it as good as we currently do with BBC4 and even some other channels showing sub-titled dramas.

I can't agree more.

In 1984 I went to see an ex-girlfriend in Geneva and was astounded to see that their TV was already multi-lingual. She could choose between three different languages (dubbed unfortunately - I prefer sub-titles so you hear the original drama as intended by the director.)
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't agree more.

In 1984 I went to see an ex-girlfriend in Geneva and was astounded to see that their TV was already multi-lingual. She could choose between three different languages (dubbed unfortunately - I prefer sub-titles so you hear the original drama as intended by the director.)

Is that not because Switzerland is a multilingual country?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the last two episodes of Borgen on Sunday evening and can only say that I found those two episodes the best, by far, of Borgen to date.

In fact, (and I have yet to see the much heralded TK1 yet), I think they have been the best episodes to date of the BBC4/Scandinavian dramas (I include the French Spiral in this too.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    Is that not because Switzerland is a multilingual country?

DOH - Yes.

But, they had the technology to do it - in the 1980s!!!

This was before we even had Channel 4 in the UK.

We only had three channels in the UK but, in Switzerland, they had loads more channels, and, for each channel, you could select your preferred language.

It was the technology that astounded me - not the geography!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I prefer sub-titles so you hear the original drama as intended by the director.)
    The downside of sub-titles can be that the dialogue is severely edited because of the limit of characters which can be legibly displayed on screen.

If someone speaks another language and watches subtitled translations, you find youself sitting there going "they've left X info out / that's not how they said that / they've missed the emphasis on..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carax wrote: »
    Sidse Babett Knudsen apparently expressed her concerns about that too, and asked that the reasons for the speedy disintegration of the marriage be given in S2.

Fingers crossed...

I wonder if they had done that storyline it if was the other way round, Phillip as PM and Brigitte as the stay at home wife??
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    I can't agree more.

Fascinating. So viewers could change audio feed without changing the channel itself? Pretty impressive if that's the case. I suppose Switzerland had to innovate pretty quickly because of it being a more multi-lingual country than most. Still, its very impressive to have managed that in the analogue era. Didn't think they needed to though, I thought there were already tv channels in Switzerland by then for each of the three main languages spoken there? One in German, one in French and one in Italian?
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    Fascinating. So viewers could change audio feed without changing the channel itself? Pretty impressive if that's the case. I suppose Switzerland had to innovate pretty quickly because of it being a more multi-lingual country than most. Still, its very impressive to have managed that in the analogue era. Didn't think they needed to though, I thought there were already tv channels in Switzerland by then for each of the three main languages spoken there? One in German, one in French and one in Italian?

We would have similar if necessary, I believe Nicam offered an alternative language option, may have been used in Wales
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    The downside of sub-titles can be that the dialogue is severely edited because of the limit of characters which can be legibly displayed on screen.

If someone speaks another language and watches subtitled translations, you find youself sitting there going "they've left X info out / that's not how they said that / they've missed the emphasis on..."

I sometimes notice names aren't transcribed, and occasionally other words I've learnt.

It doesn't seem to change the gist, only the emphasis.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most if not all of the Swiss TV channels, in the old analogue days, also offered subtitles on teletext similar to what we had on page 888 mainly for the Deaf and hard of hearing?

Anyway, lovely Borgen's on tonight. Yay! Can't wait!
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what BBC4 will be showing after Borgen finishes it's run?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birgitte - "Let's have a cup of Jytte's very bitter coffee" :D

How long before Katrine quits this job too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Sanne :D

Fingers crossed, i bet she does better coffee too :D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sanne:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to have Sanne - and her curtsey - back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killing Bingo Points!!
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asbjørn Juncker!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite the success of Borgan, The K etc, I think it's wrong to say our cozs across the pond couldn't cope with subtitles. There are many Brits who can't be bothered. My him indoors is willing to give most dramas a go but cannot get to grips with Scan-dramas and the sub titles. However, I have got him into Mentalbaldie. Maybe it's the sunny Sicilian scapes .I think I'd miss subtitles and I've got to the point where I enjoy hearing Danish and Italian and now just like Eddy, I am of course, fluent in Danish;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Birgitte speaking English and French was a highlight for me :o

Yes perfect french, she took her education at Theatre de L'Ombre in Paris 1987 - 1990
  • TerranusTerranus Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Is that a film you would recommend V? It's available to rent from LoveFilm if so.

Peter Mygind was in TK3 of course. He played the Prosecutor who interviewed Sarah.

Yes it is very good, if you like films about ww2
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhhh! I'm in tears!! Karsten!
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we all knew kasper had been abused from series one - but well done on how it's come out to Stine now. Made me well up too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Kasper, I cried at the end :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was deep! Kasper, that is an Oscar winning portrayal of a scarred soul.