League One thread 2014-15

Comments

• Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Gareth; was that Bradford's first opening day win since beating us in 2008? I know you didn't win on the first day in 2009! Also, what do you think of Thompson and Jones who we've signed from you?

It was however all but one of those opening day games was away from home, however we've never really had a good opening day record. Even the season we were promoted to the premier league we lost 2-1 at home to Stockport on the opening day.

Jones should be a decent signing as long a you use him right. He still has the enthusiasm of a youngster but age is catching up to him last season he struggled at times particularly when we had to play more than one game in a week so I;d suggest you rest him wherever possible as it isn't in his DNA to stop running for 90 minutes.

Thompson was good for us in our promotion season however he offered very little attacking wise last year in L1. He will however put a shift in has a decent shot and is good in the air for a winger so may be a useful squad player but will not create much from an attacking perspective.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheff Utd fans are panicking to soon, you lost to Bristol City who will be very good this year.

You should see our forums. It's over, Clough has lost the plot and the Chairman is a.........;-)

It's amazing to see the reactions of otherwise intelligent people when it comes to football.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armagideon Time; why do you hate Danny Wilson so much? Admitedly he will probably be sacked by Christmas but you regularly comment on how bad he is

Hey, I don't hate Danny Wilson! I was just stating a fact that his play-off finals record parallels that of Sheffield United; in 2004 as Bristol City manager, they lost 1-0 to Brighton, in 2010 his Swindon side lost 1-0 to Millwall (the less said about that the better) and two years later when manager of Sheffield United, they lose in a penalty shoot-out against Huddersfield after a goalless 120 minutes.

For the record, when he was appointed Swindon manager on Boxing Day 2008, I thought it was a good appointment after the ill-fated reign of Maurice Malpas. Amongst others, he brought in central defender Gordon Greer from Blackburn, initially on loan, but was made permanent and was promptly appointed captain and we avoided relegation (with a little help from the goals of Simon Cox). Things started to go sour after the play-off defeat (though some Swindon fans would argue it started to go wrong before then) as Greer was sold to Brighton as Wilson thought that in time he would be "too slow".

So what happened after that? Greer captains Brighton to promotion as champions of League 1, Swindon finish bottom and Wilson is sacked en route. Greer is still captain of Brighton in the Championship today, therefore that was not one of Wilson's best calls of his managerial career...
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from Sheff Utd and Bristol City, Danny Wilson has either relegated every club he has managed or has left them in the relegation zone.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bradford and their damn big striker arghhhhhhhh
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Saturday Oldham played ok (from what I hear) in they 2-2 draw against Colchester but tonight Oldham were poor, Middlesbrough just outplay us in 3-0 win and watch out for Middlesbrough first goal in FLS tomorrow night as it was very good strike from Williams.

As is cup competition against good championship side I not disappointed that Latics went out but hopeful they improve in next two leagues matches as Orient and Port Vale will be hard team to beat.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Saturday Oldham played ok (from what I hear) in they 2-2 draw against Colchester but tonight Oldham were poor, Middlesbrough just outplay us in 3-0 win and watch out for Middlesbrough first goal in FLS tomorrow night as it was very good strike from Williams.

As is cup competition against good championship side I not disappointed that Latics went out but hopeful they improve in next two leagues matches as Orient and Port Vale will be hard team to beat.

Yeah County also lost 3-0 last night at Championship Sheff Wed. Can't talk too much about the game as I wasn't there but hopefully we can bounce back against Fleetwood on Saturday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    County host Fleetwood tomorrow which will be a difficult game considering that Fleetwood gave us a good game in last years Capital One Cup. It will be good to be back in the Kop for the first home game of this season and I think we will win 2-1

Here are the rest of my predictions

Bristol City 3-1 Colchester
    Chesterfield 0-0 Rochdale
    Coventry 2-2 Sheff Utd
    Crawley 1-1 Swindon
    Crewe 1-2 Barnsley
    Doncaster 2-0 Port Vale (battle of famous musicians)
    Gillingham 1-0 Yeovil
    Notts County 2-1 Fleetwood
    Oldham 1-1 Leyton Orient
    Peterborough 2-1 MK Dons
    Scunthorpe 0-1 Preston
    Walsall 3-2 Bradford
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldham play they first home league match against Leyton orient (and also first league match under name of Sportdirect.com park) tomorrow afternoon, I hope Oldham improve from Tues night as we were poor and dessert to lost to Middlesbrough, I don't rate Orient quite high this season as I think they will have poor season compare to last season but that might change after I see them play tomorrow afternoon.

I agree with Djfunnyman that I think match will finish 1-1 and if Oldham don't loses to Orient then they will continued they unbeaten run (in League) to 12 matches. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldham lost for first time since 11th March as Leyton Orient beat us 3-1, we played better in first half then second half but our defence was poor in second half, we open scoring with good goal by Forte who look like it going be good player for us this season (along he doesn't get injured) but five mins later Orient scored equaliser (our defence try and make Henderson offside but didn't work) once Orient scored on 58th mins we never look like scoring equaliser and we only had one shot on target in hole game which tell you have poor Latics attack were. :(

Our next four games look hard special that Port Vale, Preston and Fleetwood (who still got 100% season) all won today but hopeful that Oldham will win a game sooner then later.

I see Sheff Utd having bad start to season as they lost 1-0 to Coventry and one of five teams who haven't got any points yet this season (Crewe, Rochdale, Scunthorpe and Yeovil are other team that lost both league games so far)

Chesterfield and Fleetwood are having wonderful start of season as both of them have still got 100% record along with Bristol City, Crawley and Peterborough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldham lost for first time since 11th March as Leyton Orient beat us 3-1, we played better in first half then second half but our defence was poor in second half, we open scoring with good goal by Forte who look like it going be good player for us this season (along he doesn't get injured) but five mins later Orient scored equaliser (our defence try and make Henderson offside but didn't work) once Orient scored on 58th mins we never look like scoring equaliser and we only had one shot on target in hole game which tell you have poor Latics attack were. :(

Our next four games look hard special that Port Vale, Preston and Fleetwood (who still got 100% season) all won today but hopeful that Oldham will win a game sooner then later.

I see Sheff Utd having bad start to season as they lost 1-0 to Coventry and one of five teams who haven't got any points yet this season (Crewe, Rochdale, Scunthorpe and Yeovil are other team that lost both league games so far)

Chesterfield and Fleetwood are having wonderful start of season as both of them have still got 100% record along with Bristol City, Crawley and Peterborough.

Forte's had a couple of loan spells at County. He'll be a good signing for you

County were poor today as we lost 1-0 to Fleetwood. After last week's great performance at Preston, today we were disorganised and barely created any chances. Fair play to Fleetwood as they were pretty good and should do well this season. Even though I'm greatful to Derry for the way he kept us up last year, he is still very naive and has lots to learn

Hopefully we'll bounce back with our annual home win over Colchester on Tuesday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    County fans are worrying massively after Saturday's garbage, with one thread on our forums having the title "Relegation beckons" which is a bit premature. Tomorrow is a great oppourtunity to get back to winning ways at home to Colchester. We have won our last 5 home meetings against Colchester, who last won at Meadow Lane in November 2002 which suggests that we should win again tomorrow. I personally think we'll win 1-0, but if we lose then I will begin to believe the "Relegation beckons" thread
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Will there be a League Two thread?

My second team is York City and there might be other supporters of L2 teams.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will there be a League Two thread?

My second team is York City and there might be other supporters of L2 teams.

I will ensure that there is one put up at somepoint

Notts held on for a 2-1 win over Colchester tonight despite going down to 9 men with Keane and Wroe getting sent off. Notts went ahead early on through Murray before Colchester equalised in the second half which was probably offside and saw Dwrry sent to the stands but we went ahead again pretty much straight away thanks to a Noble screamer in front of the Kop. Colchester were probably the better team but didn't take their chances

Hopefully we can build on this at Port Vale on Saturday
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I will ensure that there is one put up at somepoint

Notts held on for a 2-1 win over Colchester tonight despite going down to 9 men with Keane and Wroe getting sent off. Notts went ahead early on through Murray before Colchester equalised in the second half which was probably offside and saw Dwrry sent to the stands but we went ahead again pretty much straight away thanks to a Noble screamer in front of the Kop. Colchester were probably the better team but didn't take their chances

Hopefully we can build on this at Port Vale on Saturday

Excellent - thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprise that no Championship thread yet as they probably more Championship fans on DS then the is LG1 & 2?

Oldham draw 1-1 to Port Vale in which was probably fair results, we were very poor in first half and they score down to poor defence but once they went ahead they just sit back instead attack us more, we were much better in second half and scored from corner but once we did equaliser both team cancelled each other out.

If Oldham can play well in whole of match then we will be higher in table instead of stay in 21st place but it still early so hopeful they will improve soon.

I see Fleetwood are only team in this division still have 100% after they beat Scunthorpe and Scunthorpe along with Crewe are only two teams who lose all they matches so far.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should see our forums. It's over, Clough has lost the plot and the Chairman is a.........;-)

It's amazing to see the reactions of otherwise intelligent people when it comes to football.

C'mon, what's your username on Blades Mad? Len or Curtis ;) ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very pleased to hear that Coventry are back at the Ricoh, will this inspire them to challenge for promotion?

As for County, we travel to Port Vale at the weekend which will be a tricky game considering that Port Vale have made a good start. Sadly I can't make this one so will have to survive on radio commentary, but I sadly think we will lose 3-2. Here are the rest of my predictions;

Barnsley 2-1 Gillingham
    Bradford 2-2 Peterborough
    Colchester 1-1 Doncaster
    Fleetwood 1-1 Chesterfield
    Leyton Orient 1-0 Walsall
    MK Dons 1-1 Coventry
    Port Vale 3-2 Notts County :(
    Preston 2-0 Oldham
    Rochdale 0-2 Bristol City
    Sheff Utd 2-1 Crawley
    Swindon 2-0 Crewe
    Yeovil 0-0 Scunthorpe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldham play Preston tomorrow in which I wish I was going but sadly I'm not. :(

Hopefully Oldham improve against Preston tomorrow and play whole 90 mins instead of just playing for 45 mins like they have done in last two home matches, I don't think we will get anything at deepdale as Preston played well at Deepdale last season and I think they will continued that this season and that why I think Preston will win 2-1.

I think Barnsley, Bristol City, Doncaster, Fleetwood, Leyton Orient, Port Vale, Preston :( Sheff Utd and Swindon will all win tomorrow afternoon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    County got the luckiest win possible today by beating Port Vale 2-0. Apparently Port Vale had 18 corners compared to County only having 1 corner, but I don't care how we won. Can't say too much more as I wasn't there

If we beat Bristol City next week then I will maybe begin to consider us surprise play off contenders. But realisticly Bristol City will give us a spanking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldham lost 1-0 to Preston this afternoon with goal coming in first 4 mins, I hear we had good chance to score equaliser but didn't took them (sound like last season where we didn't took our chance and keep losing 1-0) we are now 21st in table and still haven't won a game this season and I think they may stay like that next Saturday as I can't seeing us beating Doncaster.

I see Fleetwood 100% record have ended as they draw 0-0 to Chesterfield but still top of division, Peterborough are 2nd in table after they beat Bradford 1-0, Preston, Bristol City, Barnsley and Swindon are other teams in top 6.

Crewe are only team in this division that have lost all they matches so far, Scunthorpe pick up they first point of season as they draw 1-1 to Yeovil, Colchester and sadly Oldham :( are other two teams in bottom 4 but is early in season so I sure Oldham will start moving up the table special in September as we got Gillingham, Notts County and Scunthorpe and I think we will take points off them teams.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very pleased to hear that Coventry are back at the Ricoh, will this inspire them to challenge for promotion?

As for County, we travel to Port Vale at the weekend which will be a tricky game considering that Port Vale have made a good start. Sadly I can't make this one so will have to survive on radio commentary, but I sadly think we will lose 3-2. Here are the rest of my predictions;

Barnsley 2-1 Gillingham
    Bradford 2-2 Peterborough
    Colchester 1-1 Doncaster
    Fleetwood 1-1 Chesterfield
    Leyton Orient 1-0 Walsall
    MK Dons 1-1 Coventry
    Port Vale 3-2 Notts County :(
    Preston 2-0 Oldham
    Rochdale 0-2 Bristol City
    Sheff Utd 2-1 Crawley
    Swindon 2-0 Crewe
    Yeovil 0-0 Scunthorpe

Good call!;-)
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Coventry for managing to get back home, should never have been allowed to leave. Hope the fans turn up in numbers now.

From your Premier League neighbours Leicester ;) (had to get that in) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts host Bristol City on Sunday (its on Sunday because of cricket at Trent Bridge tomorrow) and if we can beat one of the promotion favourites then I will begin to believe that a play off push is possible. It would be great to beat Bristol City after last season's controversial 1-1 draw at Meadow Lane in December and the unlucky defeat on good Friday. Sadly I don't think we will get a 3rd lucky win in a row as Bristol City have better attackers and defenders, so I think we'll lose 2-0 :(

This weekend I predict wins for Barnsley, Bradford, Bristol City :(, Doncaster, MK Dons, Peterborough and Port Vale
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldham meet Doncaster tomorrow afternoon in which Doncaster have four former Latics players in they team and former Latics Manager too (Paul Dickov) I hope Oldham can get they first win of season but I got feeling Doncaster will pick up they first home win of season and knowing our luck it probably be former Latics players who score winning goal. :( I think Doncaster will win 1-0.

I think Barnsley, Bradford, Doncaster :( Gillingham, MK Dons (great win for them on Tuesday night) Peterborough, Preston and Swindon will all win this weekend.