F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because GP3's race one for some reason is being held between FP3 and Qualifying. Sky therefore have split their Qualifying broadcast into two parts - with a mini build-up before GP3.
  • cocarrollcocarroll Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note also that FP2 on BBC2 tomorrow is delayed until after the politics show (and a cooking show :confused:)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cocarroll wrote: »
    Note also that FP2 on BBC2 tomorrow is delayed until after the politics show (and a cooking show :confused:)

Its shown live on the BBC Red Button.
  • cocarrollcocarroll Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its shown live on the BBC Red Button.

Thanks. I miss HD Red Button for things like this.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cocarroll wrote: »
    Thanks. I miss HD Red Button for things like this.

The only place to see that practice session in HD is Sky Sports, That wasn't possible back in 2011 as all of the practice sessions were only on the BBC Red Button.
  • IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only place to see that practice session in HD is Sky Sports, That wasn't possible back in 2011 as all of the practice sessions were only on the BBC Red Button.

Or on delay on BBC2 HD as stated above.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    The BBC may be streaming the extra feeds for practice:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/29040594

Marussia will only run 1 car this weekend.
    Marussia statement: "We will run a single car for the duration of the forthcoming grand prix weekend in Sochi, out of respect for our driver Jules Bianchi, who remains in hospital in Yokkaichi, Japan, in a critical but stable condition.

"We have written to the stewards of the meeting to inform them that we have withdrawn our second car."

"The team feels strongly that fielding a single car, that of driver number four, Max Chilton, is the appropriate course of action under the difficult circumstances of the weekend."
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Track looks really uninspiring :( like a cross between Valencia and Abu Dhabi
    Forum Member
    I actually quite like it, Especially from the OnBoard's it looks like a fun, challenging & technical track to drive with some interesting bits.

Turn 1 looks quite bumpy, The long left at turn 3 is just about flat with cars moving around a bit through the middle/exit, Some of the medium speed stuff through sector 2 looks quite technical/challenging & the left sweeping braking zone into turn 11 looks quite tricky & interesting. I also think the turns 13/14 chicane is quite tricky as there's a smallish hump in the middle & lots of cars drivers were making little errors there.

Looking forward to getting to drive round it myself in the Sim-world in the F1 game next week :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Did love Bernie handing over the gold bars to the Sochi track head boys, another backhander :)

No Ant this weekend then?
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    No Ant this weekend then?
    WEC race at Fuji.
    Forum Member
    I actually quite like it, Especially from the OnBoard's it looks like a fun, challenging & technical track to drive with some interesting bits.

Turn 1 looks quite bumpy, The long left at turn 3 is just about flat with cars moving around a bit through the middle/exit, Some of the medium speed stuff through sector 2 looks quite technical/challenging & the left sweeping braking zone into turn 11 looks quite tricky & interesting. I also think the turns 13/14 chicane is quite tricky as there's a smallish hump in the middle & lots of cars drivers were making little errors there.

Looking forward to getting to drive round it myself in the Sim-world in the F1 game next week :)

Yeah it probably drives a lot better than it looks (Grosjean said as much) but from watching the wider pan shots on the coverage, everything just looks white and sterile.
    Forum Member
    Yeah it probably drives a lot better than it looks (Grosjean said as much) but from watching the wider pan shots on the coverage, everything just looks white and sterile.

Perhaps you should buy a colour TV :)
    Noticed a lot of Red and Yellow ads in your face, their colours ruin the whole track for me. A few yes but why 5/6 and more in a row, just irritates.
    Beautiful background setting with some lovely high camera shots and I think its great what they have done with the legacy of this Olympic stadium, we should take note, but we never do.
    Do hope we get to see some Curling and Freestyle skiing over the weekend.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is doing 5 live commentary this weekend? Confused by Ben Edwards doing P2, normally that's James Allen.
    Forum Member
    markmag wrote: »
    Who is doing 5 live commentary this weekend? Confused by Ben Edwards doing P2, normally that's James Allen.

Probably Jack Nicholls, JA didn't travel to Japan or Russia
    Forum Member
    The on boards are all very jumpy this weekend.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Perhaps you should buy a colour TV :)
    Noticed a lot of Red and Yellow ads in your face, their colours ruin the whole track for me. A few yes but why 5/6 and more in a row, just irritates.
    Beautiful background setting with some lovely high camera shots and I think its great what they have done with the legacy of this Olympic stadium, we should take note, but we never do.
    Do hope we get to see some Curling and Freestyle skiing over the weekend.
    THe reason why they have lots of ads in a row is cos it lets the camera pan across from various different angles, thereby keeping a variety of angles/zooms/paths for the shots, yet at some point, showing at least one of the ads in.
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    THe reason why they have lots of ads in a row is cos it lets the camera pan across from various different angles, thereby keeping a variety of angles/zooms/paths for the shots, yet at some point, showing at least one of the ads in.

Maybe, but not really noticed that sort of ad panning. Its the bright colours that stand out more.
    Pirelli on the other hand, never have I ever been asked what make of tyre I want, just put on a new one and let me drive away. It all depends on what tyres came with the car when I bought new, not choice.

Was not sure, but I'm sure one of the driver interviews sounded like Natalie, I hope not!
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie is there this weekend, I presume probably her final race of the season.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really coverage-related I know but I'm impressed that they've managed to build a track that 49% of the time looks exactly like Valencia, 49% of the time exactly like Abu Dhabi, and only 2% of the time actually look like a totally original circuit.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The view of the cars exiting the horse shoe is quite dramatic, just shows what can be done with good camera placement and how things have changed over the years.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    That was a simulcast with the Red Button transmission, but you're right- normally Ben does FP1, James covers FP2.
    Probably Jack Nicholls, JA didn't travel to Japan or Russia
    Well its odd how James managed to contribute to the Russian GP Preview of the Chequered Flag podcast, unless it was over a satellite phone line...

Some interesting stuff on there talking about the consequences & ramifications of Jules' accident. Probably will be shown on the TV over the next two days, i expect.
    Forum Member
    Oh what a shame, The last few f1 shows have been good.
    Todays was a jumbled mess. Did fast forward through quite a bit of it as it was so dull. And we had Natalie back, oh when are they going to ditch her, Rachel is so superior. It was all bought down to a childish and reality presenting level again, yuk. Simon and Nat do not work well together either they seem to have tension and fight for the mic and presenting.
    Seems to me that different people make these shows, so chalk and cheese.
    I'm not sure I like Brunos broadcasting style either, he seems to not be that good technically and tends to drag on a bit at times. I will give him time as he seems to enjoy it and seems to be a nice guy.
    Forum Member
    @FOM Fan
    Some big bug fixes and some updates to the video have made the F1 app a lot better and more stable, and reflected in the user comments for Android and iOS over the last week.
    Some really good videos from Gary in there this weekend, especially the tyres analysis with Gary and Paul Hembery.
    Loved Daniil standing in front of his own named stand, nice! During the track walks.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GP3 being given some great build up - this is what coverage should have been the whole time for the support series. Perhaps Sky will take note for next year.

EDIT: It looks like it's gotten the gallery a little confused though - two stings being played after the break (GP3 titles then SkyF1 bumper).
This discussion has been closed.