The West African black rhino is now extinct

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15663982

This saddens me so much. There has been so much awareness and campainging and attempts to save the rhino, but its now extinct in its natural habitat in West Africa.

The white rhino is on the verge and the Javan rhino is "believed to have dissappeared" as well.

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've been poached to extinction. You can make the western world as aware as you want, but the demand is in Africa, and won't stop the poaching. It's such a sad thing.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    They've been poached to extinction. You can make the western world as aware as you want, but the demand is in Africa, and won't stop the poaching. It's such a sad thing.

I know :(

What are we doing to our home?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    I thought the demand was in China for powered rhino horn to make 'aphrodisiacs' ?

But rhionos dont, didnt, live in China, so they needed to be poached from somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    It's not "extinct" if there's still black rhinos in captivity.

But hair-splitting aside, I agree. It's sad to see such a magnificent animal pointlessly poached to the point where it's only proof of existence is seeing it in some pen somewhere.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northern white rhino is down to five males and two females apparently, and it's nearly impossible to get them to breed in captivity, but to be honest, I'd prefer them there where they're safe.

Luckily the Southern white rhino has made a fantastic comeback after being on the brink of extinction (around 50 left) at the start of the 20th Century, there's over 17,000 of them.

The Black Rhino isn't doing so well, there's estimated to be around 4,500 left.

Sad that this happens in this day and age. The people who pay for rhino horns and all that sort of stuff should have their noses chopped off and see how they like it.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the demand was in China for powered rhino horn to make 'aphrodisiacs' ?
    That's one of the reasons, along with jewellery or ornaments. But the poaching industry is in Africa, that's what I meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AGuy wrote: »
    It's not "extinct" if there's still black rhinos in captivity.

But hair-splitting aside, I agree. It's sad to see such a magnificent animal pointlessly poached to the point where it's only proof of existence is seeing it in some pen somewhere.

And if breeding programmes fail, once they die, our childrens children will only ever be able to see them on TV or look at pictures in books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, and I meant to say powdered not powered although that might be true in the future with robo-rhino. The problem is if there was no demand then there would be no supply. The same is happening with the tiger and a large number of other endangered species. Many of these poachers have nothing to lose by killing these animals as I suppose a large number of them are on the poverty line anyway. The only way to resolve the issue is to:

a) Protect the remaining animals any way possible
    b) Create an incentive for local communities to have a say in protecting the animals by providing jobs
    c) Try and eliminate the supply for these products through either stiff jail sentences or education.

Unfortunately it's all been tried and failed; when rich people are offering them bags of money, poachers just don't care.

The only real successes they've had against them is in the heavily guarded reserves where they're simply shot dead on sight.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    95% of all the species that have ever lived on Earth are now extinct, so I've been told.

We, as humans, just help matters along in many cases.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love or loathe zoo's you have to give them credit for the conservations programmes.

Maybe one day security measures can be put in place so these animals can also be reintroduced into their natural habitat.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »

Since the creation of the earth, how many species have come into existence, but are now extinct? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? More likely millions. Does it really matter if one more becomes extinct?

Look on the bright side : at least their poaching will stop.
    And if breeding programmes fail, once they die, our childrens children will only ever be able to see them on TV or look at pictures in books.

Which is how the vast majority of people see them at the moment, I imagine.
  • topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh well there is always the local museum.
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhino horn is just skin and nail - and the chinese consider that to be an aphrodisiac? - well I guess it takes all sorts!

The Japanese hunt whales and dolphins and call it SCIENTIFIC research...
    The Yangzee river dolphin disappeared (believed to be extinct) - all because they wanted to build a dam - lots of people were kicked out of their homes, villages were lost. But this was done in the name of progress......

Like Crocodile Dundee says --- you should only kill what you are going to eat!

We eat cows, sheep, chickens, turkeys, etc....... Unless you are an Inuit - there is no need to eat seal, whale, etc.....
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has allways puzzled me how rhino horn is an ingrediant in traditional Chinese medicine when the Rhino has never been indigiounous to china
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty Burns is at fault here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The world is eating itself. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    If I recollect there is the Asian Rhino (on the brink of extinction as well)

There are 3 different types of Rhino in Asia:

The Indian Rhino
    The Sumatran Rhino and the
    Javan Rhino
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do Rhinos do anyway?
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    What do Rhinos do anyway?

Kill you, if you get too close and piss them off.

They are one of those animals to stay well clear of, as they can easily outrun humans.

That doesn't obviously justify killing them, of course. However, they can be dangerous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One species closer to using powdered poacher as an aphrodisiac.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    As sad as it is, it's just the natural survival of the fittest.
    Forum Member
    To quote George Carlin once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love or loathe zoo's you have to give them credit for the conservations programmes.

Maybe one day security measures can be put in place so these animals can also be reintroduced into their natural habitat.

Yes; I'm no huge fan of zoos, but you have to acknowledge that they're increasingly playing a part in protecting endangered species and carrying out very good breeding programmes.

I was at Twycross not long ago, and they done wonders with some of the rarer monkeys who they previously struggled to get to breed in captivity. Unfortunately for a lot of the primate species, they're indirectly being driven to extinction when the rainforest and jungles are being chopped down.

Sometimes I think a 20 year moratorium on rainforest 'development' would allow so many endangered species to repair themselves.

As for the bigger animals, the only real option is to go for the types of nature reserves they have in Kenya with well-trained armed guards on patrol and electric fencing etc. to deal with the poachers. But if they want to kill a rare animal enough, they'll find a way. I'm not sure what the long term answer is to be honest.
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that it took something as drastic as a world war to allow replenishment of fish stocks in the north Atlantic for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    As sad as it is, it's just the natural survival of the fittest.
    It's a little unbalanced though when the poachers have weapons, so it isn't really survival of the fittest in the true sense of the word. If it was an unarmed poacher against a rhino I'm pretty sure the rhino would come out on top.