Options

kmfm can have one breakfast show

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    whats happened to the evening show its dreadfull as an online listener i find it terrible listening, where is bob mower as he does not post on facebook anymore when his show is on?
  • Options
    Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    latet8 wrote: »
    whats happened to the evening show its dreadfull as an online listener i find it terrible listening, where is bob mower as he does not post on facebook anymore when his show is on?

Is it billed as a live show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    according to the public file yes it states 10-12pm automated only
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, I wonder if KMFM are just ignoring the public file and commitments made. The PC will be reading this so I'm sure an answer or a change will be forthcoming.
  • Options
    Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Radio Spy,

Your posts show a dislike of the current PD. Any reason?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dr Bobbins wrote: »
    Radio Spy,

No not at all, just observations and accurate as far as I know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    In the beginning seven radio stations. In the end one radio station broadcasting to seven locations.
    To have achieved this they must have gone cap in hand to Ofcom on numerous occasions with the old threat about not being able to make it work and handing back licences.
    Plainly KM you aren't making it work and, judging by the last ten years or so are never likely to, so what about doing the decent thing and handing back some of your licences so those who can are given the opportunity? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    According to Companies House all of the KMFM stations have been making losses for years. They all made a loss in 2011 (the last available figures) although the losses were down on previous years, reflecting the new shared arrangements and the associated cost savings.
    If anyone thinks that merging these stations together creates a highly profitable business they are mistaken, it's still a tough climate for a standalone station like KMFM.
    Hang on though, the seven stand alone stations probably employed (and I'm guessing here) around 100-120 people. The single station probably employs around 20. So 100 people disappear off the books, you close all your local studios and move everyone into one building saving on heating, power etc and you're telling me that they still can't make a profit . . . . . .
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be time for KM to sell the station off or sell some of they shares in the radio station to others. but if they where to do so i would like to see the owners of the splash buy some of the shares off the km group. but don't see that happening.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the beginning seven radio stations. In the end one radio station broadcasting to seven locations.
    To have achieved this they must have gone cap in hand to Ofcom on numerous occasions with the old threat about not being able to make it work and handing back licences.
    Plainly KM you aren't making it work and, judging by the last ten years or so are never likely to, so what about doing the decent thing and handing back some of your licences so those who can are given the opportunity? :)

The KM stuck with local breakfast for a longer period when they could have applied for countywide breakfast when the networking reforms were introduced. The only change they made was to network West Kent and Maidstone together as their TSA's overlapped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The KM stuck with local breakfast for a longer period when they could have applied for countywide breakfast when the networking reforms were introduced. The only change they made was to network West Kent and Maidstone together as their TSA's overlapped.

now all programmes are networked you would of thought plenty of savings but not enough as more automated has been announced, the public profile states automated from 10pm - 6am monday to friday 7pm to 6am sunday and 4pm to 6am sundays , you would of thought they could be live from 6am to midnight at least, and wheres bob mower? Is he another cut back.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now all programmes are networked you would of thought plenty of savings but not enough as more automated has been announced, the public profile states automated from 10pm - 6am monday to friday 7pm to 6am sunday and 4pm to 6am sundays , you would of thought they could be live from 6am to midnight at least, and wheres bob mower? Is he another cut back.

With respect to Bob Mower, considering the stations shift in direction to cater to a younger audience, his delivery is more suited to an older demographic. If he has left, he may end up on one of the East Kent CR's where heritage jocks are on-air still.

Shifting format is never easy and the KM will see less listeners, but if they're targeting younger listeners and see a loss of the older ones, it's not exactly a big loss on the grander scale if they see like Radio 1, an increase in the target audience as seen with Nick Grimshaw's breakfast show for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I listen to KMFM every day and I think the changes have made them better, I was disappointing when they got rid of the local breakfast but I think breakfast is better now than it was before however I don't know what is going on with overnight as Bob has been removed from the website and he has not been on air for around 2 months now.
    I think that they will start to gain listeners in the future as I think that it is about waiting for new listeners as the station's new sound is better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio Spy,

Why the interest Dr Bobbins? Is your name Rob by chance?
  • Options
    Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Radio Spy wrote: »
    Why the interest Dr Bobbins? Is your name Rob by chance?

Thanks for replying to my question twice. No, I neither know Rob, or have any particular care about KMFM. Was just intrigued by the pattern of your posts.

For what it's worth, I think KMFM are in a difficult position. They either have to go much younger than Heart, which they've done, or go much older. Whatever you do, there are stations booming in from London with bigger names and bigger budgets in some of the patch.

If it were me, I'd have gone younger, though maybe not as young as they've done. I'd go for a more energetic, friendly version of Heart, and I'd be going on about being Kent's station in every link, sweeper, news bulletin and jingle. The music will speak for itself; the localness won't.

I think that their imaging might be too aggressive at times, but it's well known that if you skew younger you'll also pick up (and retain) older listeners. The same isn't true if you go older.

So, in short, while I would tweak the output, the main problem is the influence of Heart, rather than KMFM's output. In my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying to my question twice.

My pleasure, glad to have brightened your day in some small way and given you that happy feeling.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With respect to Bob Mower, considering the stations shift in direction to cater to a younger audience, his delivery is more suited to an older demographic. If he has left, he may end up on one of the East Kent CR's where heritage jocks are on-air still.

Shifting format is never easy and the KM will see less listeners, but if they're targeting younger listeners and see a loss of the older ones, it's not exactly a big loss on the grander scale if they see like Radio 1, an increase in the target audience as seen with Nick Grimshaw's breakfast show for example.
    Try explaining that to a potential advertiser - 'well actually we're doing very badly in the east of Kent where most of our older audience has deserted us but we are appealing to more children in the west'
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you are missing Bob. you can now find him on academy fm 107.8 fm
    also was Bob not the SD at km-fm at some point.
    so who is the SD now on the station.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what has happened to Nigel Anscell? He was great on the evening show?
  • Options
    airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    Does anyone know what has happened to Nigel Anscell? He was great on the evening show?

I assume he left along with Bob due to the changes that have been made.
  • Options
    James HarlandJames Harland Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting sick of the voicetrack after 7pm.

For some reason I was hoping it would just be temporary, but it's not looking like it! I'd rather they just played songs without a "DJ" than this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm getting sick of the voicetrack after 7pm.

For some reason I was hoping it would just be temporary, but it's not looking like it! I'd rather they just played songs without a "DJ" than this.

a very poor station should be live 24/7 with the axing of all local breakfast shows, if the evening show is vt then why do they ask for your songs to be played on facebook from 7-8 , surely this is against the rules as you cant ask someone to request a song if the show is vt.
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if the evening show is vt then why do they ask for your songs to be played on facebook from 7-8 , surely this is against the rules as you cant ask someone to request a song if the show is vt.

I think it would only be against the rules if they were encouraging listeners to spend money (ie by texting or phoning) in the expectation that their request might be played when, in fact, there'd be no chance of that happening.

Also, just because a show is voicetracked doesn't mean the music is set in stone. For all you know there may still be someone in the station at that time who can add songs as requests come in - or with most modern playout systems it can be done on a laptop remotely from home/the pub/wherever. It's just that the links are prerecorded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So the head of music moves on . . . . before he was moved on :mad: the new hom has never programmed the music for a radio station before and her only experience is a 3 day course in Selector and now, from what I'm hearing, they're going out and buying the prizes they give away on air - I would normally say that you couldn't make it up but with this lot you don't have to :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    So the head of music moves on . . . . before he was moved on :mad: the new hom has never programmed the music for a radio station before and her only experience is a 3 day course in Selector and now, from what I'm hearing, they're going out and buying the prizes they give away on air - I would normally say that you couldn't make it up but with this lot you don't have to :rolleyes:

Just because she's programming the music it doesn't mean she's left to her own devices. Programme Directors are usually in ultimate charge of the music and if the darabase and the rules are already in place scheduling isn't a huge task if you know your station and what makes good programming.

If you have an understanding of what music programming is about then you can learn selector. It's just a piece of software that can be learned just like a playout system. Not knowing master control doesn't make someone a bad presenter.