Options

Things you don't see/have with mobiles anymore

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needing to save your credit as much as possible, so any text that ran over on to a second message was squeezed and edited to an almost illiterate mess, just to save yourself an extra 10p!
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Having to stand in odd places to get a signal with my first mobile the only place in my house you could get a good signal was if you stood on back of the settee and put it in the corner of the room.

The woman next door had to go and stand in middle of the road and then phone back if a car came along (It wasn't a very busy road)
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Buttons.

When my smartphone died a while back and I had to revert to using a buttony one, I couldnt use it.

i just started a new job and have been given a Blackberry. After a year of trying to bugger about with my 'smart' phone I nearly cried when I saw those lovely little keys.

Can't abide touchscreens - and the BB is nice and small and has a reassuringly ordinary ringtone.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Philips Savvy could be used as a bludgeon in urban warfare scenarios. You could extract it from whoever you'd killed with it and it would still work.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Philips Savvy could be used as a bludgeon in urban warfare scenarios. You could extract it from whoever you'd killed with it and it would still work.

You wouldn't have wanted to drop it on your foot. :D
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i prefer my pay as you go Sony with buttons on it. Its faster to use (MUCH faster), less difficult to use (and here i mean compared to my HTC touchscreen and the truely awful Andriod OS), has a better audio system for music playback, is less fragile, has a battery which last 3-4X longer than the HTC, and sits perfect in a cradle on the dashboard with instant button response for track change.

Its also way cheaper to use than the HTC on contract. I mean what is considered "heavy use" these days, 1hr a day, 7days a week? Seems so. Whats the point in having [crap] internet on the move if your always thinking your going to break the data use limit for the month (again). So you can Upgrade to a different monthly plan to avoid this happening, but this costs around £30 a month, which simply is not worth it for such a poor representation of the web on a phone which is not nice to use.

O, and in the coutryside there are plenty of locations where there is zero signal.
    in one of the nearby villages, you have to stand in the middle of a carpark to get 1 bar. This goes for 2 and 3g signals.
    When i drive south, and get beyond the towns, i can go some 10-12miles through open country with no mobile signal at all displayed on both 2 + 3g phones.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The excuse of a rubbish signal.....everyone can always get through now and expect likewise:mad:

Orange customers would strongly disagree.
  • Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sim cards the size of a credit card....

I kid you NOT, my first ever phone was the Phillips Diga and the sim card was credit card size and as I was looking for an image I found one for sale on Ebay...

Also with the Diga, a keyboard protector, a slider thingie.. and also an Antennae.
  • Options
    KerrisKerris Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Just been watching 'Cheers' on ITV4. Frasier had a 'Mobile phone', which consisted of a briefcase with an old fashioned receiver inside. Did these really exist?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decent battery life.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Joeys from Bread that thing could have stopped a tank if it hit it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Snake?
  • Options
    NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Camera phones with crap cameras. You think you've taken a pretty good picture, but then you get it on your computer and it's the size of a stamp. :D

When phone boxes were big and they weren't making everything thinner. It's all fine and dandy making the thinnest charger so you can make the box smaller, but it's not really good when it's so small you can't get it out of the socket.

And I sort of liked infrared. It was somehow so much cooler having to keep the ports aligned, rather than being all wireless like Bluetooth. :D
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's compare the first phone I was handed down (I reluctantly adopted a mobile phone) to the one that I have now:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=66&idPhone2=5048
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    polyphonic ringtones
    I remember when I was getting my 2nd phone and polyphonic ringtones were just coming in. The bloke in Carphone Warehouse was demoing some Samsung I think it was to another customer.. everyone in the shop was totally mesmerised as it played a full-range (16 channel?) midi version of Sandstorm whilst the multi-coloured lights on the keypad, antenna and screen flashed in time to the beat.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    ...and the BB is nice and small and has a reassuringly ordinary ringtone.

I must say, I kind of miss "normal" ring tones.

When I first got my iPhone I recall scrolling through the ringtones and there were guitar riffs, piano tunes, insects chirping and even a bloody dog barking but there really isn't a single "normal" bleep-bleep ringtone.
    The closest thing is a copy of an old-fashioned bell phone ringing.
    NerdyMagee wrote: »
    Camera phones with crap cameras. You think you've taken a pretty good picture, but then you get it on your computer and it's the size of a stamp. :D

To be fair, it's not so much the size as the quality.

I used to have a Panasonic (I think) phone and it took 800 x 600 resolution pictures and they were bloody fantastic. They were crisp and sharp with vibrant colours and no noise.

These days I have an iPhone which takes pictures of a size that I'm unsure of because I've never yet taken one worth copying onto my PC.
    The phone makes a "click" noise when you take the picture (allegedly) but either the shutter-speed is so long or it doesn't actually take the picture when it makes the "click" noise so half the photo's are blurry and even the pictures that are in focus are so fuzzy, washed-out and speckled with noise that they look worse than something taken with a 15 year old webcam.

If you look at the spec's of the components it's easy to see the problem.
    Companies are equally obsessed with picture size and component price so they use cheap-ass CCDs and lenses and then they use software to enlarge the pictures using interpolative algorithms which results in a crappy image full of noise that's actually no better than a picture a quarter of the size would be. :mad:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Rabbit mobile and having to stand under a signal point to use them, remember that malarkey? :D

http://blog.dialaphone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/9-rabbit-phone-sign.jpg
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Let's compare the first phone I was handed down (I reluctantly adopted a mobile phone) to the one that I have now:

Interesting, here's a comparison of my first phone with the one I have now.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4594&idPhone2=146
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rabbit mobile and having to stand under a signal point to use them, remember that malarkey? :D

http://blog.dialaphone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/9-rabbit-phone-sign.jpg

How did it work? I saw a shop in Dudley with a rabbit logo!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My brother had that phone. That was only about 10 years ago, how times change indeed.

What phone does he have now?

Here's a comparison of my first phone to my current one: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=473&idPhone2=4559
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else I remembered, and I discussed this with a mate on Tuesday night - credit card sized SIM or full-size SIM (1FF). To mine and his knowledge, the cards they send your SIM on that you discard once you pry the mini SIM from it are compatible with full-size SIM phones, although I would wonder if anyone still uses a GSM phone with a full-size SIM.
    Interesting, here's a comparison of my first phone with the one I have now.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4594&idPhone2=146
    My Mum had that exact phone, but in black. I also remember how clunky it was to enter characters into a phone back then and before the time of predictive text.

And to think, I had a GSM only basic phone as late as 2011, a Samsung E1080i! I bought it for a penny with £10 credit. Now I use a Nexus 4. World's apart in terms of functionality beyond SMS and calls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember what my first phone was, i think it was on one2one though.

Edit- found it http://m.gsmarena.com/nec_db2000-156.php

I know I was a Nokia junkie I went though the 3210,3310,8210,8310. Buying lots of pretty cases.
    I know I had the pink Motorolla Razor and then the silver mirror flip phone by Samsung

Over the years they have got bigger and I remember using IR ports to connect to phones and laptops and also bluetoothing random pictures to people in the pub who had their Bluetooth switched on. And the introduction of polyphonic ringtones!

Then I got the original iPhone and upgraded to an iPhone 3G then an IPhone 4. Now I'm using an iPhone 5. Due my contract timing I always get the new iPhone on the day of its release. I couldn't go to android. My kids have an android tablet and I hate it.

I love smart phones, if people want individuality buy a case and change the background :D

1st-present comparison
    http://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4910&idPhone2=156
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Vodafone PPAYG split the payments into two, you pay a tenner and five pounds of that was for line rental and the other fiver was for calls/Text.

i was chatting to someone in the vodafone shop a couple of weeks back and he said that there are still some people with that package :)
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I remember when Vodafone PPAYG split the payments into two, you pay a tenner and five pounds of that was for line rental and the other fiver was for calls/Text.

i was chatting to someone in the vodafone shop a couple of weeks back and he said that there are still some people with that package :)

What a cynical business model to pretend that an individual 'line' is being rented.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I remember when Motorola bought out the StarTac. I simply had to have one. :cool: