Options

The Abomination are making it official (Emmerdale) I feel sick

dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why Kate Oates, WHYYYYYYYY.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/scoop/a517877/emmerdale-charlotte-bellamy-talks-laurel-marlon-engagement.html

You are a great producer so why in the hell do you give these two halfwits a storyline

Comments

• Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it. :mad:

I had hoped that Kate Oates was more in touch with the feelings of the nation, (or at least the feelings of DS :D) and would have split up this abomination. :(

Oh well, maybe things will change between now and then. Let's try and think positive. :)
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a sweet couple. :)
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marlon is so much better without her.
  • Options
    ladyinredladyinred Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    According to Charlotte Bellamy 'Marlon is such a popular character'! I think I might cry if the PTB think that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinred wrote: »
    According to Charlotte Bellamy 'Marlon is such a popular character'! I think I might cry if the PTB think that.

I think she has been necking some of Rhona's pills for her to think that :D
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinred wrote: »

To try and be a bit fair, I do actually think Marlon was a fairly popular character, (even with me :o), until they put him with Laurel and as a couple they became basically unwatchable. :mad:

I didn't even mind Laurel when she was married to Ashley; I thought she was fine as the vicar's wife. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Maurel but IMO they are not worse than Cain and Moira. I am sure people wouldn't be so harsh on Maurel if Marlon was well fit (Cain) and Laurel was a sexy curvy lady (Moira).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    I don't like Maurel but IMO they are not worse than Cain and Moira. I am sure people wouldn't be so harsh on Maurel if Marlon was well fit (Cain) and Laurel was a sexy curvy lady (Moira).

It hasnt got anything to do with looks. Its to do with the way the characters behave as if they have never done anything wrong. Laurel treated Ashley like a leper when he hit his father, even though it was her and Marlon that basically made him have a mini breakdown. She wouldnt even go looking for him when he was homeless and stopped him for seeing his children.

Marlon pretends he is a such a lovely sincere character but look at the way he went on when Donna cheated on him yet he does the exact same with Laurel and behaves as if there is nothing wrong with that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refuse to abandon hope. This is a soap wedding so something could happen at the last minute that stops this nauseating couple in their tracks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dubgaz wrote: »
    It hasnt got anything to do with looks. Its to do with the way the characters behave as if they have never done anything wrong. Laurel treated Ashley like a leper when he hit his father, even though it was her and Marlon that basically made him have a mini breakdown. She wouldnt even go looking for him when he was homeless and stopped him for seeing his children.

Marlon pretends he is a such a lovely sincere character but look at the way he went on when Donna cheated on him yet he does the exact same with Laurel and behaves as if there is nothing wrong with that

Nether do Cain and Moira. John died a broken hearted man thanks to Cain and Moira. Cain never expressed any remose for what he did. Yet 6 months after John's dead he's moving in John's farm and shagging John's widow in John's bed. But that's OK because Cain and Moira are good looking and have chemistry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nether do Cain and Moira. John died a broken hearted man thanks to Cain and Moira. Cain never expressed any remose for what he did. Yet 6 months after John's dead he's moving in John's farm and shagging John's widow in John's bed. But that's OK because Cain and Moira are good looking and have chemistry.

John did'nt die a broken man. Him and Moira got back together. Anyway I happen to think that Laurel is quiet an attractive woman
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's not looks, it's the absolute lack of any kind of chemistry. They just don't fit as a couple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John did'nt die a broken man. Him and Moira got back together. Anyway I happen to think that Laurel is quiet an attractive woman

Yes, she is an attracive woman... on the outside... but inside she's as ugly as an ugly thing that's especially ugly that has a degree in ugliness. (Not to be confused with the actress who I'm sure is lovely in and out)

Marlon is mouth breathing knuckle dragger, his gurning always does my head in, as does his constant whining voice.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind Marlon and Laurel. It is the Spencers and Kerry and Amy that I fast-forward past..Ughhhh.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Kate Oates, WHYYYYYYYY.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/scoop/a517877/emmerdale-charlotte-bellamy-talks-laurel-marlon-engagement.html

You are a great producer so why in the hell do you give these two halfwits a storyline

I hate Marlon and Laurel, if they're getting more screen time I WILL switch off!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Such as shame as Emmerdale have been doing so so well
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, it's nothing to do with looks or even chemistry.

They have irritating personalities, which are exacerbated when the the two of them are together.

There is absolutely no indication at all that they're in any way attracted to each other, or ever have been. They were mates, that's all.

Marlon thinks every woman who looks twice at him is the great love of his life, so it's impossible to take him seriously, and Laurel suffers as a character for this is as well.

Compared to how Laurel and Ashley just seemed natural and believable as a couple (as did Paddy and Rhona) - they were relaxed, bickered a lot, but genuinely seemed to like and care for one another, and had some intimacy. There's no indication of that whatsoever with Maurel.

In fact, since the whole car jacking thing the impression I get is that Laurel can't be bothered with Marlon and has very little respect for him.

The guy who plays Marlon is not a very good actor, IMO, and it's awkward and embarrassing watching him try to do any sort of romantic, or relationship based scenes. He acts like a teenager completely smitten with someone, not an adult trying to build a relationship with someone he might want to spend the rest of his life with.

There are couples that you can enjoy watching on screen, because they seem to just 'work' together, regardless of how physically attractive they are. You can relate to them, because they seem like everyday couples - they're not in the first flush of romance and sexual attraction - but they have a genuine love, are committed to each other and are building a future together. Roy and Hayley in Coronation st are an obvious example, as were Laurel and Ashley. Lisa and Zak are another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. John and Moira's relationship split was caused by them.They weren't happy and Moira went looking for an affair. Cain was happy to stir things up, but John and Moira were the ones who weren't making their relationship work.

There's nothing wrong with either Marlon or Laurel looks wise. They're just normal, everyday people in that department. In fact, as you say, Laurel can be quite pretty. It's not about looks, or even chemistry. It's about the characters' personalities and how they are as a couple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. John and Moira's relationship split was caused by them.They weren't happy and Moira went looking for an affair. Cain was happy to stir things up, but John and Moira were the ones who weren't making their relationship work.

There's nothing wrong with either Marlon or Laurel looks wise. They're just normal, everyday people in that department. In fact, as you say, Laurel can be quite pretty. It's not about looks, or even chemistry. It's about the characters' personalities and how they are as a couple

Totally agree with you. I don't mind Marlon, I actually like Laurel, I just do not like them as a couple. I don't think they have any 'chemistry' at all.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viewers will never forgive the way Blackburn made Ashley a pensioner basher just to justify Laurel and Marlon's relationship.

I bought in years ago to the Laurel and Ashley love story and Blackburn destroyed it, I don't mind Laurel and Marlon as characters, I just can't stand them together. I will be gutted if they marry the two off.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference is - if you can switch your brain off and forget their past history - Cain and Moira are believable as a couple. This is because the actors work well together and are natural, which compensates for the often dodgy writing that has surrounded them.

Maurel and Laurel, on the other hand, do not work well together. The writing that put them together was also unbelievable, but what really kills them is that there's no romantic spark there to sell the unbelievable plotting. They are one of those couples that might work OK as friends but have no sexual chemistry whatsoever (see also: Alfie and Roxy in Eastenders.) It has nothing to do with looks, it's all about connection between the actors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Viewers will never forgive the way Blackburn made Ashley a pensioner basher just to justify Laurel and Marlon's relationship.

I bought in years ago to the Laurel and Ashley love story and Blackburn destroyed it, I don't mind Laurel and Marlon as characters, I just can't stand them together. I will be gutted if they marry the two off.

BIB Agreed, he seemed fixated on putting those two together. Laurel and Ashley just somehow worked - they figured things out together, they were very much like a team. Even when Sally Spode was flung at them and they almost broke up, they still got through it, and we saw the lengths that Laurel went to out of love for Ashley, and anger at the damage Sally had done to their family.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Marlon :D

*runs
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was the worst part about putting them together. They threw one of the few truly "good" characters in the village under a bus just so Marlon and Laurel wouldn't come out of the story looking like the bad guys. :rolleyes:

And poor Ashley has been left wandering around in search of another storyline ever since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    I quite like Marlon :D

*runs

You are a person of true honour and courage, to admit such a thing:p:p:p

No, he is basically a decent person,I'll give him that:D;)
  • Options
    KiskinKiskin Posts: 6,280
    Forum Member
    Viewers will never forgive the way Blackburn made Ashley a pensioner basher just to justify Laurel and Marlon's relationship. .

Yep, Ashley would never do that and although it was an interesting storyline in some ways it just was not believable for him to do that.