Options

The Forgotten Saturday Morning TV Shows we all Loved

owen10owen10 Posts: 128,062
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I used to love Saturday morning TV when it was worth waking up for i think most shows statred really early in the morning and lasted until Midday and BBC and ITV showed most of the kids shows we all loved like Rugrats and Wacaday but the show i really loved was Going Live and Live and Kicking What were your favourite Saturday morning shows you loved

Comments

• Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I wasnt allowed to watch TV on a Saturday morning as a kid. My Dad's stance was probably that there were better ways to spend our weekend, and now Im grown up I sort of agree. Having said that, when I was old enough to make up my own mind I enjoyed Live & Kicking, SM:TV and Dick 'n' Dom.

Edit: just realised the thread title says "forgotten". No idea. I've forgotten. Scratchy & Co? That was a weird one.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Owen, when I was a kid there was no Saturday morning TV. There were a couple of educational programmes from 12 till 1, then the news and World of Sport :):)
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going Live and Live & Kicking are hardly forgotten. They are well remembered. Trevor & Simon featured on both of them, who I personally loved.

I used to like a show called Ghost Train which was a ITV summer filler in the early 90s which was set in a different town each week. I also liked the theme tune (more than the show) to The 8:15 From Manchester from the same era
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Champion The Wonder Horse used to be on in the late 70s/early 80s.

Zorro too. Of course Laurel & Hardy as well. :)
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    There was one i used to love as a kid around the mid 90s on ITV, but can't remember the name. They used to play this interactive Taz phone-in game every week were young viewers could control him by shouting commands down the phone to win prizes. It also had a nerdy looking character, with glasses, goofy teeth who would pick cheerios off his face and eat them lol.

Another old favourite, Wake Up in the Wild Room presented by Dave Benson Philipps. It featured a milkman character called 'Gary the Ghost' who would turn up and throw custard pies in people's face.
  • Options
    sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up mainly watching Live & Kicking as others have mentioned but a couple of forgotten ones that I remember fondly are 'Fully Booked' and 'Telegantic Megavision' which for some bizarre reason I thought went on for years - but it was only 4 months according to wikipedia!
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    The Singing Ringing Tree it was like a kiddies introduction to tripping.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Owen, when I was a kid there was no Saturday morning TV. There were a couple of educational programmes from 12 till 1, then the news and World of Sport :):)

I remember the Banana Splits Show from 1970 on a Saturday Morning.

I also remember the winter evenings on a Saturday watching the wrestling on World of Sport and then having to be dead quiet while my Dad checked the football pools as the results were read out. :);-)
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »

Likewise. Nothing apart from some odd language classes and perhaps cricket(?) until dinnertime when Sportsview (later Grandstand) came on.
    In the late 60's we began to get stuff like The Double Deckers.
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swap Shop!

Where it all started.
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    The Singing Ringing Tree it was like a kiddies introduction to tripping.

No one on planet earth understood any of that programme and yet we still sat there watching it! :D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parallel 9 which I think you could describe as quite high concept.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no kids TV on a Saturday when I was a kid but as a young ( and not so young!!) adult I remember watching Number 73 for Sandi Toksvig and Get Fresh for the legendary Gilbert the Alien aka Phil Cornwell.
  • Options
    lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved saturday showdown with Stephen and Holly
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    The Double Deckers, I too remember The Singing Ringing Tree, hadn't got a clue what it was about but remember being upset when the lake froze over and the big fish thingy got stuck
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Champion the Wonder Horse and Whirlybirds got a repeat showing on Saturdays in the 80's, and I think Circus Boy popped up again too. Casey Jones (steamin' and a-rollin') may have been on as well.
    But by this time I was in my 30's....
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Saturday....Saturday....Saturday is Tiswas day..."

"Who is the phantom flan flinger ?"
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    There was no kids TV on a Saturday when I was a kid but as a young ( and not so young!!) adult I remember watching Number 73 for Sandi Toksvig and Get Fresh for the legendary Gilbert the Alien aka Phil Cornwell.

Number 73 was amazing. The influence its had on TV since then hasn't really been recognised.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diggit was great. Quality and memorable tv programmes and presenters that didn't need to behave in an over the top and cringeworthy way to be entertaining. I wonder whatever happened to Paul Des Ballard :D
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Runaround presented by Mike Reid (not the DJ, the actor/comedian who would go on to say "Pat, Pat!" a lot in Walford!)
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Runaround presented by Mike Reid (not the DJ, the actor/comedian who would go on to say "Pat, Pat!" a lot in Walford!)

You've just reminded me of that door scene with the fan :)
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One I used to watch in the summer turned up again on Martin Roberts' "TV That Made Me" yesterday - the 8.15 From Manchester! Back in the day I'd tend to watch CITV in the autumn (73, Motormouth, What's Up Doc?) and CBBC in the summer (the 8.15, UP2U, P9, Fully Booked...)
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1999. On Saturdays. Regular feature in my childhood.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    I remember the Banana Splits Show from 1970 on a Saturday Morning.

I also remember the winter evenings on a Saturday watching the wrestling on World of Sport and then having to be dead quiet while my Dad checked the football pools as the results were read out. :);-)

The Banana Splits was brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apABS2PiW0g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Banana_Splits

With the in-programme cartoons like The Arabian Knights , The Hillbilly Bears and The Three Musketeers and then Danger Island.

I also used to love White Horses , The Flashing Blade and Casey Jones but cannot remember if they were on Saturday mornings or school holidays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6z8GUywyc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZEDNkZ2L4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3GcDBjQN4

Then there were The Double Deckers and Heidi etc I shall stop now as I am showing my age
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I remember a pretty awful Saturday morning show called The Mersey Pirate set on a Ship moored in the Liverpool Docks. Just looked it up… 1979 (gulp)

Swap Shop and Tiswas were the ones of my childhood. Going Live, Live and Kicking and the likes were more my teen hungover on a Saturday morning shows.:D