Options

Uncomfortable

WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
Forum Member
Did anyone else feel rather uncomfortable watching the last 2 episodes? I watched them back to back this evening as I was ill yesterday and, yes, they were good, but I found them to be uncomfortable viewing.

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well that was the intention, tbh. they weren't meant to be easy viewing, so mission accomplished I guess...
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good drama should make you uncomfortable sometimes.

If if didn't we'd be in a world where everything was "Heartbeat" and all that other ITV rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was uncomfortable, it was draining.....and the worst thing of all is that if all this was real....I could actually see most of it happening....apart from Jack, well...as I wouldn't know if there was a Jack Harkness or not would I?:D
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    Good drama should make you uncomfortable sometimes.

If if didn't we'd be in a world where everything was "Heartbeat" and all that other ITV rubbish.

Oh yes, I realise that. For what it is worth I have never watched Heartbeat and can't abide that 'Sunday evening' style of drama. I'm used to watching the more hard hitting stuff which is why I was so surprised how Torchwood made me feel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I actually slept uncomfortably after Day 5. It was compelling yet horrific and if drama can do that to you, then it's done a good job.

It's like watching 'The Street'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very Quatermass, which is no bad thing in itself.
    Science fiction should be a mirror to the society we are now in and this showed us a very ugly reflection.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    It was very Quatermass
    Unless you count Quatermass II - where the Government was run by aliens (nothing new there) or The John Mills Quatermass (Ringstone Round), there's very little in common.

I'd be looking at real SF like John Christopher's "The Death of Grass" which has a British Government deliberately bombing cities as the best way to avoid hunger in the remaining population
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    It was uncomfortable, it was draining.....and the worst thing of all is that if all this was real....I could actually see most of it happening....apart from Jack, well...as I wouldn't know if there was a Jack Harkness or not would I?:D

Totally agree. Harrowing is a word I've used several times in discussion of it as well.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't managed to see those two yet, but if anything this thread is making me look forward to them more!:cool::o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Very uncomfortable. Usually if something is good I would have rewatched on the iplayer but I just couldn't bring myself to. I was wondering if other people felt that way and whether it would affect their dvd sales. Even my mother said 'it is the sort of thing you only watch once'.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very uncomfortable. And all the better for it - no stupid reset button ending to make everything better at the end.
  • Options
    cherricherri Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Very uncomfortable. Usually if something is good I would have rewatched on the iplayer but I just couldn't bring myself to. I was wondering if other people felt that way and whether it would affect their dvd sales. Even my mother said 'it is the sort of thing you only watch once'.

I thought I couldn't watch it again when it finished on Friday night, but I watched the lot again on iplayer and enjoyed it even better second time around. I took in much more this time mainly because I wasn't sitting at the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth the whole time. Episode 5 was just as harrowing but I noticed Jack's reaction at the end much more (and the others as well to be honest). I think I was too stunned the first time to take it all in. I think I may even buy the dvd set now but I will need a break before watching it again lol.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was really looking forward to getting the DVD until Friday then afterwards my first reaction was 'I don't want to watch that again' it got to me that much. I'm still not sure.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it did make uncomfortable viewing, but I'll still be buying the DVD because this kind of drama only comes along once in a blue moon.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I found it very uncomfortable - particularly episode 4. I must admit it has put me off getting the DVD, at least for the moment. I loved it and will want to see it again in the future but not right now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    When Jack caused the death of his grandson, it was awful. Exactly what I wanted to be honest.
    Torchwood is essentially Doctor Who but grown up. Therefore it's important Torchwood has scripts that are more mature. Unfortunately both series 1 and 2 seemed to punch below their weight with this, but Children of Earth was brilliant. I hope it's a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I think this TW series had a lot in common with Turn Left, but was able to explore the decision making process a lot more, rather than just seeing from the effects on the population.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    WillowFae wrote: »
    Did anyone else feel rather uncomfortable watching the last 2 episodes? I watched them back to back this evening as I was ill yesterday and, yes, they were good, but I found them to be uncomfortable viewing.

This might lighten the mood...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/entertainment_enl_1247558639/html/1.stm

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Miasma wrote: »

He's got quite good legs really...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    WillowFae wrote: »

Yes (not that I didn't love it) I found the last episode disturbing and depressing (couldn't sleep that well after). I will be watching it again, but not for some time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    It made me uncomfortable because it hit a nerve, the politics & discussion by the Top Brass as well as the grandson drama.
    Brilliant stuff tho, truly brilliant - am SO GLAD it didnt end up being all schmaltzy and smiley... left a bitter taste and Im sure thats what the team behind it wanted.

I recently watched Chris Ecclestone's Doctor, and if that was gritty and full of drama - shame it became the Doctor & Rose story, its never really recovered from that I dont think. I was not a fan of the "romance"