Options

How do you say '2011'?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it 'twenty eleven' or 'two thousand and eleven'?

Everyone seems to be saying 'twenty twelve' already so when do we stop saying 'two thousand and.....'?

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty eleven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twenteleven

does that read correctly?

twentyleven.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    'two thousand and eleven'
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I am saying 'two thousand and.... then again, I say'nineteen hundred and eleven, I'm quirky :D
  • Options
    4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already started with the twenty eleven. I mixed it up a bit during 2010, but I'm a bit sick of saying 'two thousand and....', its a gobful and is starting to sound a bit weird since I had it pointed out to me that we don't refer to 1910 as one thousand, nine hundred and ten.
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say two thousand and eleven but twenty twelve
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think it's simply because "twenty-eleven" sounds kinda clumsy.

Back in the 20th century, the word "nineteen" lent itself to being suffixed with other numbers more fluidly whereas "twenty" seems more clumsy.

For me it's still "two thousand and eleven" or "two thousand and twelve".

I'm sure I'll get used to saying "twenty-XX" eventually though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    'two thousand and eleven'

I agree :)
    Twentyten/ twentyeleven/ twentytwelve just don't sound like proper numbers somehow :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    the right way of saying it is 'twenty eleven', but I'm so used to saying 'two thousand and' something for about ten years that I'm just gonna say it's 'two thousand and eleven'.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    two thousaneleven

Actually, more "two fows'n'eleven"
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me: 20 11
    OH: 2000 and 11
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty eleven.

As has been said, 1911 wasn't known as 1,911.

I'm surprised you asked this this year though, this year has been twenty ten, not 2,010.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me it is two thousand and ten, two thousand and eleven, two thousand and twelve......... Really hate it when people say twenty ten twenty twelve etc for me it just sounds daft. People didnt say Twenty Nine so why say twenty ten.
  • Options
    anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    two thousaneleven

Actually, more "two fows'n'eleven"

Same here.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dele99 wrote: »
    the right way of saying it is 'twenty eleven', but I'm so used to saying 'two thousand and' something for about ten years that I'm just gonna say it's 'two thousand and eleven'.

I think it'll start coming naturally to people as the numbers get longer to say - two thousand and nine sounds a lot more natural than two thousand and thirty three when we get to 2033. Plus you'll hear more people using in next year so that'll normalise it as well (imho :) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Two thousand and eleven. Twenty eleven doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this year
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »

Same here.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two thousand and eleven, because I think it rolls off the tongue better.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RWD wrote: »
    for me it is two thousand and ten, two thousand and eleven, two thousand and twelve......... Really hate it when people say twenty ten twenty twelve etc for me it just sounds daft. People didnt say Twenty Nine so why say twenty ten.

Same here. When I hear it on radio/TV it just sounds like they're trying to be cool... when they're clearly not. ;)

It kinda bugs me with "London Twenty Twelve" - they've managed to make it the brand, which is fair enough, but why not just say the "London Olympics" - I don't recall people saying they were looking forward to Beijing 2008 or Salt Lake City 2002.

And yes I know London has held two Olympics before 2012 but I doubt anyone would get them mixed up....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People didnt say Twenty Nine so why say twenty ten.

Twenty nine isn't the right number ;), twenty 'o' nine would have worked and stayed in fashion with 1809, 1909 etc, but I think the media made so much of 'the year two thousand' (say it in a game show voice over?) it became very normal to our ears and we just carried on.

Edit to add: Actually they do market sporting events with the year attached - for some reason Euro '96 seems forever etched in my brain :confused:
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »

Me too:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member

because the year twenty nine (29) already passed, like nearly 2000 years ago lol. It would make sense to say 'twenty ten' because that year hasn't actually gone, and it's actually a new way of saying a year instead of repeating the old one.
  • Options
    PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For most of the year I will still be saying 2010, until I get used to it being 2011, by which time it will be almost 2012.