How would you save ITV Breakfast?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
Forum Member
Daybreaks viewing figures are falling this month, even Fridays now. How would you save it? And not by bringing cartoons in

I would axe Daybreak and bring back GMTV, with the old team. Andrew, Kate, Emma, Penny and John. Have it more news based with a relaxed style.

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    Daybreaks viewing figures are falling this month, even Fridays now. How would you save it? And not by bringing cartoons in

I would axe Daybreak and bring back GMTV, with the old team. Andrew, Kate, Emma, Penny and John. Have it more news based with a relaxed style.

Why? GMTV was a failed format aswell. The only way it would save it, would be going back to GMTV pre 2004.

I really think they should have stuck with the original Daybreak. At least it seemed to appeal to men, and not just mums. It was fresh, young and modern.

And I really think people should support things like this taking a fresh and different approach and not slagging it off, then they revert back to the same old same old because people moaning, then were back to a stuck in a rut breakfast programme.

Its like, this latest incarnation has already taken on a different direction since last September, they just can't make their minds up. They should appeal to everyone not just mums!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely they had their highest average audience yesterday since the original Daybreak was launched. Clearly they need to have lots of stories about snow every day:D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Get rid of it entirely and show cartoons from the 1980's
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I would rename it TODAY, have newsreaders as the presenters. MORE NEWS, less competitions and adverts. More professinoalism, high quality content, and no talking down to viewers as if we're stupid. The majority of the population are quite clever people and the Itv Breakfast show needs to take that into account.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I would rename it TODAY, have newsreaders as the presenters. MORE NEWS, less competitions and adverts. More professinoalism, high quality content, and no talking down to viewers as if we're stupid. The majority of the population are quite clever people and the Itv Breakfast show needs to take that into account.

Isn't that what they tried in the first place?

The majority of people who want news are already watching ad-free BBC: ITV needs to do something different. Lifestyle, celebrity and some news would appear to work well.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the "Lorraine" thing. It seems to be the same programme as Daybreak, but without the male presenter. I would say "but with just Lorraine", but more often than not, she doesn't turn up :confused:
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    I'd just use ITN to produce a News only programme from 6:00 - 8:30 and have Lorainne Kelly with a Magazine Type show from 8:30 - 9:30. It would be much cheaper to produce so the low viewing figures would not matter so much.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6.00am ITV News
    6.30 Batman - the 60s series
    7.30 Happy Days
    8.00 Wacaday
    8.30 Roland Rat
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Call it "All Star TVAM" and get Vernon Kaye to present it
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Just put it out of its misery,
  • Hootenanny123Hootenanny123 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I would scrap all the cotton wall crap and stick two presenters in a news studio. Sky news style.
  • tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »

I agree
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Apart from the unoriginal name, good suggestions. They already have This Morning, so it makes no sense to appeal to that demographic - they are probably in bed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    6.00am ITV News
    6.30 Batman - the 60s series
    7.30 Happy Days
    8.00 Wacaday
    8.30 Roland Rat

Beat me to it, bugger!

:D
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    How would i save it?

Just simulcast BBC Breakfast.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    How would i save it?

Just simulcast BBC Breakfast.

After thirty years of breakfast TV the audiences for both shows are poor, 1.5 million for BBC Breakfast is nothing to celebrate either.

Breakfast TV has always generated far more press column inches than interest from viewers. Most people are too busy getting ready for work/school/college and can't be bothered with it. Meanwhile breakfast radio is still pulling huge audiences.

ITV are stuck with the format imposed by Ofcom (80% originally commissioned programming on weekdays and a mininum of 60 minutes per weekday has to be news) but they would be better off extending the News Hour format to run until 8.30am. The figures for Lorraine are always slightly better (they have recently been over 1 million).
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, ITV, the breakfast audience is there for the taking! The BBC's move to Salford has resulted in a far poorer quality of guest. Meanwhile, you guys at ITV are still in London! Make the most of it.

Big names and celebrity presenters don't really work first thing in the morning. In other words, forget Aled Jones. ALL the success stories of the last 30 years on breakfast TV have been ORDINARY people: Anne Diamond, Nick Owen, Mike Morris (RIP), Frank Bough, Eamonn Holmes (relatively unknown when he started), Lorraine Kelly (ditto), Bill Turnbull, Jeremy Bowen, Sophie Raworth, Susanna Reid etc.

I knew Daybreak was set to fail from day one. I spotted the flaw in the original set - namely that it's pitch black outside between 6-7am for half the year, giving it an unappealing look! Why didn't anyone at Daybreak spot this flaw?

Adrian and Christine are both very able presenters, but they were big names, on big name contracts, and that's not what people want first thing in the morning. Adrian has the wrong sort of personality for breakfast TV, anyway.

Aled Jones, urgh, I don't rate him as a presenter, and don't think much of him as a person, either (long story).

ITV can sort this mess around quite easily. The guys who do the 6-7am hour are quite good, but the SET and CONTENT aren't right. Find out who the best people are at ITV regional newsrooms (Andrea Byrne springs to mind), and test them out as presenters.

Here's what we need: 6-7am, news-focussed. Give us the main stories, financial news, international news.

7-8:30am A mix of hard news, interviews with political figures, entertainment (without resorting to celebrity tittle tattle), sports news, travel.

8:30-9:25am If the 'Lorraine' format works, leave it as it is. I know that they say advertisers want female 'mumsy' type viewers at that time of day, but the reality is that attempts at attracting them just haven't worked so far on the 'main' programme.

People DON'T WANT celebrity tittle tattle, people DON'T WANT big name presenters. Just give us what we need for news, interviews, with some lighter stuff thrown in.

Also, SORT THE SET OUT! Those garish colours don't work. A set should BLEND IN to its surroundings. Make it look like a light, airy living room, with a few plant pots around the place.
  • Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..........theres only one thing to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLS7GhgWj6M
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daybreak is very unappealing.

As "realwales" said the presenters are just too famous. But this is a consequence of the ITV "smash and grab" approach to TV. Steal what works somewhere else...

"Who do mums like?" says Boss ITV "Get me Lorraine and that ex choir boy!"

You can see this in operation everywhere else as well, zero imagination.

Are ITV bosses really that clueless? Yes.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV in general always takes the view that a big name presenter is the answer. Aled Jones may not quite be a big name (at least not as a presenter) but whenever there's a vacancy for anything they seem to think it has to go to someone we already know. Just for once it would be nice if they made a star, rather than taking known faces from elsewhere. There must be a couple of talented ITV regional presenters out there. The notion no one would watch is wrong. People would actually be on a newcomers side, wheras regurgitated talent from elsewhere means people are just waiting for the latest big name to fall flat on their faces.
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Just realise that Britain doesn't do Breakfast tv and put something totally different on...
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Look, ITV, the breakfast audience is there for the taking! The BBC's move to Salford has resulted in a far poorer quality of guest. Meanwhile, you guys at ITV are still in London! Make the most of it.

Big names and celebrity presenters don't really work first thing in the morning. In other words, forget Aled Jones. ALL the success stories of the last 30 years on breakfast TV have been ORDINARY people: Anne Diamond, Nick Owen, Mike Morris (RIP), Frank Bough, Eamonn Holmes (relatively unknown when he started), Lorraine Kelly (ditto), Bill Turnbull, Jeremy Bowen, Sophie Raworth, Susanna Reid etc.

I knew Daybreak was set to fail from day one. I spotted the flaw in the original set - namely that it's pitch black outside between 6-7am for half the year, giving it an unappealing look! Why didn't anyone at Daybreak spot this flaw?

Adrian and Christine are both very able presenters, but they were big names, on big name contracts, and that's not what people want first thing in the morning. Adrian has the wrong sort of personality for breakfast TV, anyway.

Aled Jones, urgh, I don't rate him as a presenter, and don't think much of him as a person, either (long story).

ITV can sort this mess around quite easily. The guys who do the 6-7am hour are quite good, but the SET and CONTENT aren't right. Find out who the best people are at ITV regional newsrooms (Andrea Byrne springs to mind), and test them out as presenters.

Here's what we need: 6-7am, news-focussed. Give us the main stories, financial news, international news.

7-8:30am A mix of hard news, interviews with political figures, entertainment (without resorting to celebrity tittle tattle), sports news, travel.

8:30-9:25am If the 'Lorraine' format works, leave it as it is. I know that they say advertisers want female 'mumsy' type viewers at that time of day, but the reality is that attempts at attracting them just haven't worked so far on the 'main' programme.

People DON'T WANT celebrity tittle tattle, people DON'T WANT big name presenters. Just give us what we need for news, interviews, with some lighter stuff thrown in.

Also, SORT THE SET OUT! Those garish colours don't work. A set should BLEND IN to its surroundings. Make it look like a light, airy living room, with a few plant pots around the place.

Totally agree about looking at the ITV Regions News programmes for talent. Another reason why ITV shouldn't abandon their Regional past. I also fully agree with getting rid of the garish colours, too bright for the morning.

Think you're heading the right way with your Newshour (I think ITV Morning Newshour) at 6am. Within this programme I'd personally add a 5 minute Pan-Regional News/Weather/Travel bulletin, Sports News, Political News and Business/Financial News within this hour.

7:00
    ITV Morning News. Followed by Regional News/Weather/Travel.

7:10
    Pretty much the programme described by yourself, a mix of News, Interviews with Political figures, Entertainment, and Sports News.

7:40
    I think a Music Video/Interview (doesn't have to be Music stars!) programme showcasing the latest and greatest music could work. I'd throw in a Ticker underneath the programme for the latest News, Sports News, Business/Financial News and Celebrity gossip. Here's the twist, the dream of some on here. I'd have the programme presented by Roland Rat with two up and coming presenters (one Male, One Female).

8:30
    Lorraine.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively, music videos.

Basically classic tracks, 3 at a time then a commercial. People are bound to leave the TV on as they get ready to go out.

Then from 8:30am a mumsy style show.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What ITV really needs is another talent show :rolleyes:

There needs to be more focus on current affairs coverage IMO, and more high quality original drama