Rice cooker that cooks brown rice perfectly

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone give me a personal recommendation for a rice cooker that will also cook brown rice perfectly.

I've looked at Amazon reviews but they are all a mixed bag.

Thanks in advance

Edit: My budget is £50

Comments

• Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I'll echo your question - I was thinking of buying one & had a quick look the weekend - I prefer brown rice too, but I also do use the white/black mix.:)
    My Son bought a cheap Argos one a couple of years ago - I wasn't impressed. My budget would be like yours.:)
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Nice!

I have a much earlier model that just does 3-in-1, white rice, steamer and slow cooker. Hmmm, might be a time to upgrade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. Have you used it yourself then?

Looks good although one of the reviews says it took 90 minutes to cook brown rice. :eek: I'm hoping they didn't have a clue what they were doing though as I like the look of this but I am specifically looking for something that cooks brown rice relatively quickly.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

I have this, and it does both white and brown rice beautifully, even fairly small quantities, which was a surprise given its size. It's also a great slow-cooker.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. Have you used it yourself then?

Looks good although one of the reviews says it took 90 minutes to cook brown rice. :eek: I'm hoping they didn't have a clue what they were doing though as I like the look of this but I am specifically looking for something that cooks brown rice relatively quickly.

The time it takes depends on the quantity you're cooking (it calculates the cooking time automatically, from the weight of the rice and water), but it's not very quick, I'm afraid. Not 90 minutes, though, unless you are cooking a huge quantity. White rice for three or four takes about 40 minutes, brown rice a bit longer. The rice comes out so perfectly though, that I don't mind the extra time. You can just bung the rice and water in early, anyway, and just leave it until you're ready to serve it, because it will automatically switch to warming mode when it's finished cooking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    The time it takes depends on the quantity you're cooking (it calculates the cooking time automatically, from the weight of the rice and water), but it's not very quick, I'm afraid. Not 90 minutes, though, unless you are cooking a huge quantity. White rice for three or four takes about 40 minutes, brown rice a bit longer. The rice comes out so perfectly though, that I don't mind the extra time. You can just bung the rice and water in early, anyway, and just leave it until you're ready to serve it, because it will automatically switch to warming mode when it's finished cooking.

Thank you to Yeah Jackie for the recommendation and JulesF for your personal review. I have ordered one and can't wait to use it. I'm excited that its a multicooker. What other things have you tried or can you recommend to do in it?
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuine question, sorry if it's a daft one. Why would anyone need a rice cooker? Is rice not pretty much the easiest thing in the world to cook? It seems akin to having a special "baked bean heating" machine or something.
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Genuine question, sorry if it's a daft one. Why would anyone need a rice cooker? Is rice not pretty much the easiest thing in the world to cook? It seems akin to having a special "baked bean heating" machine or something.

It's very easy to cook rice - it's not quite so easy to cook perfect, fluffy rice every single time. Plus, it saves hob space for those of us that don't have enormous eight-ring cookers. You can get very cheap rice cookers, so why not?
    Forum Member
    Thank you to Yeah Jackie for the recommendation and JulesF for your personal review. I have ordered one and can't wait to use it. I'm excited that its a multicooker. What other things have you tried or can you recommend to do in it?

It's a brilliant slow cooker. I use it like that all the time - did a lovely Osso Bucco the day before yesterday. It's also a good steamer. Haven't tried the porridge setting, as I don't really like it. You can, apparently, do cakes and puddings in it, but I haven't tried that either - sounds a bit...wrong!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's easy to cook rice badly. In Asian countries where rice is a staple literally everyone who has electricity uses a rice cooker. It just makes it far easier to control the basic task of getting the proper proportions of water to rice. You want 100% of the water to be evenly absorbed by the rice without burning the bottom of the pan, which is not easy to do manually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm fed up of having either a gloopy mess or rice that hasn't been cooked properly. Also, brown rice is even harder to cook and takes much longer. I want to include brown rice in my healthy eating diet so I would prefer not to have to watch over a pot of rice for an hour or so.

Oh and there is actually a special baked bean heating machine... It's called a microwave! ;)
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    my brown rice takes around 15-20 mins to boil
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, as I said, it was a genuine question as I've never had a problem cooking rice, it's always nice and fluffy. I have had not so good rice at other peoples houses though. Maybe I just get lucky with it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my brown rice takes around 15-20 mins to boil

Its unlikely you are cooking brown rice then, Proper wholegrain brown rice takes at least double if not more than that time to cook on the hob,
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's easy to cook rice badly. In Asian countries where rice is a staple literally everyone who has electricity uses a rice cooker. It just makes it far easier to control the basic task of getting the proper proportions of water to rice. You want 100% of the water to be evenly absorbed by the rice without burning the bottom of the pan, which is not easy to do manually.
    I find it quite easy to cook rice well in a non stick pan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cup of rice 2cup of water has worked for years for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    cup of rice 2cup of water has worked for years for me

Thank you to all the experienced rice cookers for your contribution. I was specifically asking about brown rice though and personally recommendations of a rice cooker that will cook it perfectly.

I'm aware that it is possible to cook rice without a rice cooker, but I would prefer to have a rice cooker and leave it to do it's job and keep the rice at the correct temperature until needed, rather than being a slave to the rice.

I salute all of you who are able to not only cook your rice to perfection but also serve it at the correct temperature with the accompanying dishes and without heating anything up again or settling to eat something luke warm. I am in awe :eek:
    Forum Member
    Thank you to all the experienced rice cookers for your contribution. I was specifically asking about brown rice though and personally recommendations of a rice cooker that will cook it perfectly.

I'm aware that it is possible to cook rice without a rice cooker, but I would prefer to have a rice cooker and leave it to do it's job and keep the rice at the correct temperature until needed, rather than being a slave to the rice.

I salute all of you who are able to not only cook your rice to perfection but also serve it at the correct temperature with the accompanying dishes and without heating anything up again or settling to eat something luke warm. I am in awe :eek:

:D

Rice discussions on here do seem to bring out the purists in some people! I agree with you - the reason I love my rice cooker, is that I can just bung everything in and leave it, without having to check on it or time it to coincide with whatever else I'm cooking.