Christmas sweet tins changed to tubs.

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
I had noticed that the normal size Quality Sweet tins are now tubs just like Celebrations. Hero's have also changed to tubs. The only normal sized tin left is Roses for some unknown reason.

You can get tins but you need to buy the more expensive ones. What do you think of this???

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think at 2 for £5 in Lidl, I don't really care what they come in.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,630
    Forum Member
    I think very little of this either way really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume its because the plastic tubs are more green/easier to recycle. And they must weigh less than the metal tins too - less fuel for transport etc.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    I assume its because the plastic tubs are more green/easier to recycle. And they must weigh less than the metal tins too - less fuel for transport etc.

Yes, I seem to recall they trialled cardboard tubs. It also saves them money but they do offer metal tins for £3 extra but the same size.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    all about profit
    Forum Member
    Toblerone is now in Heroes.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    It's not just the container. Look at the weight.

Tins used to be 1KG. Then they were 950g, then 900g, etc.

Now they all vary a little, but none of them are 1KG anymore, and Quality Street has dropped to a significantly reduced 820g. That's almost a 200g bar of chocolate having been taken out of the box before you've even opened it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a shame. When I was a kid, I used to worry that my nails would be torn off each time I tried to pry the Quality Street lid off.

But not even the fear can stop me from going after my favourites: the gold-wrapped toffee pennies, the orange-wrapped caramel cups, and the yellow-wrapped toffee fingers. :D I avoided the coffee ones and the weird nutty-bits ones at all costs. Prying the lid off was part of the fun.
    Forum Member
    It's not just the container. Look at the weight.

Tins used to be 1KG. Then they were 950g, then 900g, etc.

Now they all vary a little, but none of them are 1KG anymore, and Quality Street has dropped to a significantly reduced 820g. That's almost a 200g bar of chocolate having been taken out of the box before you've even opened it.

Quality Street do a larger 1KG tin for more money though.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Price of chocolate gone up, people still want to pay same price, Therefore make tin smaller. Magic!
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of when Les Dawson told of being given
    a box of chocolate biscuits . Upon opening he took out a note that read -
    'Good luck to our boys in the Trenches'.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Toblerone is now in Heroes.

Respect at last!:cool:
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just chocolates that are in shrinking packaging. We bought a tin (it still is a tin!) of McVities Victoria biscuits for Christmas. In 2010 we paid £5 for an 800g tin, the following year that had become 725g, didn't get one last year but this year they are a measley 500g and they are £5. I would rather pay more and have a bigger tin. Are things going to shrink so much that they become non existent?
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    But not even the fear can stop me from going after my favourites: the gold-wrapped toffee pennies, the orange-wrapped caramel cups, and the yellow-wrapped toffee fingers.

At work we have a perpetually replenishing tin of quality street, and nobody ever eats the toffee pennies. I assume that someone throws them away every now and then when they achieve critical mass. You should come round sometime!
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,630
    Forum Member
    It's not just chocolates that are in shrinking packaging. We bought a tin (it still is a tin!) of McVities Victoria biscuits for Christmas. In 2010 we paid £5 for an 800g tin, the following year that had become 725g, didn't get one last year but this year they are a measley 500g and they are £5. I would rather pay more and have a bigger tin. Are things going to shrink so much that they become non existent?

"Market research" says you are in the minority. The majority of people are prepared to have a smaller product sold at the same price as the old larger product.

People are much more sensitive to price changes than they are to quantity/weight changes.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me sad about the tubs over the old tins is that my granny still has metal tins of Roses from about 20 years ago with buttons and what not in them. They're also good for cake/biscuit tins.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What makes me sad about the tubs over the old tins is that my granny still has metal tins of Roses from about 20 years ago with buttons and what not in them. They're also good for cake/biscuit tins.

What about the tubs that means they can't be used as cake/biscuit 'tins'?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    "Market research" says you are in the minority. The majority of people are prepared to have a smaller product sold at the same price as the old larger product.

People are much more sensitive to price changes than they are to quantity/weight changes.

And yet when you have this discussion with people the majority say they'd prefer to pay a little more but keep the size :confused:

Either way it's a price rise.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Price of chocolate gone up, people still want to pay same price, Therefore make tin smaller. Magic!

REALLY wish people would understand this before moaning on the likes of Cadbury UK & Cadbury Dairy Milk FB pages. Although hasn't happened so much recently but when it happened last year (or 2011?) they went mad. I rolled my eyes as the answer was obvious :D