Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 16)

Comments

• Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Is he still recovering from that? I've seen him still wear the headgear when playing
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Good to see we've done our first signing early on. Should make us feel much more secure with Cech in goal.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Is he still recovering from that? I've seen him still wear the headgear when playing

He's fully recovered but uses it as a safety precausion.
    It was found that he has a thin skull and was very lucky he didn't suffer a much more serious injury, one that would have ended his career or even worse
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Now that it's signed, I'm very happy that Cech is ours. A top quality keeper shouldn't be sniffed at. Also good to see some good business done relatively early for a change. Hopefully some more will be joining him, but that's to be seen.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    Good to see we've done our first signing early on. Should make us feel much more secure with Cech in goal.

Agreed, I think the back 4 will be more confident now and Cech will marshall them better. Ospina is a good shot stopper but that's it, if he stays hopefully he will learn from Cech.

Our 1st great GK since mad Jens.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    robborocks wrote: »
    Agreed, I think the back 4 will be more confident now and Cech will marshall them better. Ospina is a good shot stopper but that's it, if he stays hopefully he will learn from Cech.

Our 1st great GK since mad Jens.

I wouldn't even say Ospina is a good shot stopper. He had let through some long range shots but is a calming influence at the back which is what kept him in the team.

Cech is a massive improvement and will help keep the goals against column down. Just need to score the big goals in the biggest games. Sanchez is certainly capable of it but we need a few more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Abou Diaby has been released having reached the end of his contract. Shame his career ended with that horror tackle from Dan Smith as he showed glimpses of a great player.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150701/diaby-among-five-players-leaving-arsenal
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great credit to Wenger who has stuck by him for so long, but there comes a time when enough is enough.
    He was a sensational player at his best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Telegraph reporting we are ready to listen to offers for David Ospina, Lukas Podolski, Joel Campbell and Mathieu Flamini to free up space in the squad for transfers.

Also Abou Diaby will be allowed to train at Arsenal whilst looking for another club. Nice gesture and leaves open the possibility of keeping him should his injury problems improve.

Regarding transfers our interest seems to have switched from Vidal to William Carvalho after scouts were sent to watch the Euro U21 Champs final where he was named player of the tournament.

Personally I would much prefer him to Vidal to add physicality and height to our midfield. He is also alot younger so we should get a good few years out of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to see Ospina and Podolski go if those happen :(
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ospina - Keep him, make him our No.2 get rid of Chesney.
    Podolski - Had plenty of chances to be consistant. Get rid.
    Joel Campbell - Hasn't had any chances to prove himself. Give him playtime.
    Flamini - Served us well but no longer needed. Let him go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Ospina - Keep him, make him our No.2 get rid of Chesney.
    Podolski - Had plenty of chances to be consistant. Get rid.
    Joel Campbell - Hasn't had any chances to prove himself. Give him playtime.
    Flamini - Served us well but no longer needed. Let him go.

Don't agree with you about Campbell. He's not the level required to move us to the next level.
    Agreed with the other 3 though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do we know Campbell is not the required level if he's never had any chances to show what he can do at this level? :confused:
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    How do we know Campbell is not the required level if he's never had any chances to show what he can do at this level? :confused:

I'm still puzzled as to why he's not been given a real chance to prove himself. I know that a few good matches in the World Cup might not necessarily prove his worth, but they sure piqued my interest. I mean, maybe he's not material we can use, but considering the lack of chances he's been shown to prove himself, it does feel a waste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last 4 seasons on loan. Exactly 100 appearances and a grand total of 14 goals tells you pretty much all you need to know.
    Cut him loose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like Podolski is off to Turkey
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Podolski is off to Turkey

Podolski has always been the same. He has moments of genius but they're so rare you hardly notice them. He was the same at Munich as at Arsenal, he comes across as a lazy player.
    Ozil is in the same kind of mold as well.

Good player who could have been great. Shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Can't see this happening and I've heard he is more interested in Liverpool, but an exciting prospect to say the least.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11717847/Arsenal-transfer-news-and-rumours-Arsenal-begin-negotiations-to-sign-Barcelona-star-Pedro.html

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/07/04/arsenal-open-talks-to-sign-barcelona-midfielder-as-tomas-rosicky-could-make-exit/

Also, hi! New female member here, think I'll be hanging around this thread a lot :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone help? I was going to try and get tickets for one of the Emirates Cup days for me and a friend, but I havent got a membership :confused: Is this important?
    http://www.arsenal.com/tickets

• Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone help? I was going to try and get tickets for one of the Emirates Cup days for me and a friend, but I havent got a membership :confused: Is this important?
    http://www.arsenal.com/tickets

You shouldn't need a membership as the Emirates Cup is on General Sale to those without a membership. You might need an online account though to sign in which is free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You shouldn't need a membership as the Emirates Cup is on General Sale to those without a membership. You might need an online account though to sign in which is free.

Cheers - think I've sorted it now :)
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Megzy wrote: »
    Can't see this happening and I've heard he is more interested in Liverpool, but an exciting prospect to say the least.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11717847/Arsenal-transfer-news-and-rumours-Arsenal-begin-negotiations-to-sign-Barcelona-star-Pedro.html

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/07/04/arsenal-open-talks-to-sign-barcelona-midfielder-as-tomas-rosicky-could-make-exit/

Also, hi! New female member here, think I'll be hanging around this thread a lot :cool:
    Hi back! A warm welcome to you. We are a friendly bunch! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alexis Sanchez scores the winning pen for Chile to win the Copa America.

Congrats Chile and Alexis!
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanchez is just out of this world incredible! What a player!!! And so modest and completely low maintenance. Absolutely world class! If Wenger doesn't injure him, I believe he can lead Arsenal to the PL title
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Sanchez is just out of this world incredible! What a player!!! And so modest and completely low maintenance. Absolutely world class! If Wenger doesn't injure him, I believe he can lead Arsenal to the PL title

Wenger and his training field full blooded challenges, he strips off his puffa coat and gets stuck in.
This discussion has been closed.