Options

The O.C.

andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
Forum Member
Anyone miss this show? Infact i miss alot of those kind of shows that were around at that time, something such as One Tree Hil is still around, and i still love, but that has even changed alot from it's original style. I just remember those types of glossy angsty teen shows really making me want to live in america cus it seemed so cool and exciting. Infact i still think that!

New shows like Gossip Girl ect i think are quite good, but nothing on shows like The O.C. and OTH in it's early days.

Comments

• Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gossip Girl IS The OC, season 1 at least is an almost direct copy in terms of storylines, just in a different setting.

I miss the OC though, I think the fact the adult characters were so well written/acted along with fairly solid storylines for the kids made it more watchable and entertaining than most similar dramas. It wasn't just pure wishy-washy teen angst, like 90210 (which I love because it's so trashy but not a patch on The OC) it had a balance of storylines for Julie, Kirsten and Sandy as well as the 4 main kids.

I was gutted to see it go, but the last 5 minutes of season 4 are just awesome, Forever Team Julie!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the OC and do miss it. I watch OTH, GG, 90210 etc but they are not the same as The OC. I wish it was still around but I think the finale episode was fantastic and seeing Julie finally standing on her own feet was good and of course the Seth / Summer wedding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gossip Girl IS The OC, season 1 at least is an almost direct copy in terms of storylines, just in a different setting.

I miss the OC though, I think the fact the adult characters were so well written/acted along with fairly solid storylines for the kids made it more watchable and entertaining than most similar dramas. It wasn't just pure wishy-washy teen angst, like 90210 (which I love because it's so trashy but not a patch on The OC) it had a balance of storylines for Julie, Kirsten and Sandy as well as the 4 main kids.

I was gutted to see it go, but the last 5 minutes of season 4 are just awesome, Forever Team Julie!

I enjoyed seeing the actress that played Julie crop up in The Vampire Diaries, which is another show i really like atm.

Don't like 90210 at all.

Did you watch OTH?
    I loved the OC and do miss it. I watch OTH, GG, 90210 etc but they are not the same as The OC. I wish it was still around but I think the finale episode was fantastic and seeing Julie finally standing on her own feet was good and of course the Seth / Summer wedding.

OTH definately isn't the same now, but i did class it as up there with The OC at the time, it's obvously changed alot now and has a different kind of feeling, the characters are obviously in there 20's now and all successful and working. The OC and OTH were shows i just LOVED at that time.

GG i do watch, although started to lose interest last season, deffo isn't in the same league as The OC. Just not the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never watched One Tree Hill, I didn't like the first few episodes so never got into it properly.

Julie was fantastic across the entire 4th season, her chat with Summer before the wedding was brilliant, and the moment she finally grew up herself with her "Don't Settle for Comfortable" and "The World deserves to know you Summer Roberts" comments it was so emotional.

I just love her reaction when she collects her Degree though, Melinda Clarke has been awesome in everything I've seen her in. She was amazing as Miss Heather, the dominatrix in CSI Vegas (Her first appearance was in an episode which also starred Kelly Rowan strangely)
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OTH got dire after they left school :( I love The OC though, and I'm one of the very few that loved season three. I loved the whole Volchok (sp) plot etc. New show on ABC Family called Pretty Little Liars is very teenage like the shows.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Season 4 of the OC was saved by the wonderful Autumn Reeser. She was hilarious.
  • Options
    Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the OC and I remember watching it on T4 on my Sunday mornings, and it was my favourite show from that type of genre.

It's strange because now I don't really like all that teenage angst stuff anymore which I avoid like the plague but I truly loved the OC. I remember being gutted when Marissa died.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Season 4 had some good points. I liked Autumn Reeser and far prefered Kaitlin to Marissa. Although turning Summer into some crazed hippie was just tedious.

The fact that it was the new characters who made season 4 good just shows that the original characters had nowhere left to go.

Unfortunately, killing off Marissa hung over the 4th season. But they had to do something, there's only so long that they could keep going with the 2 couples (Summer/Seth & Ryan/Marissa) being on again, off again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was delighted when Marissa died, she did my head in from season 1.

Autumn Reeser was a star in Season 4, but I think al the newbies brought something special to make season 4 the best since season 1. Bullet was awesome, as was Kaitlin and they all brought so much more than Marissa ever did.

And without Marissa bringing her down, Julie had a chance to truly shine.
  • Options
    astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started to watch it from Season One, having only seen a few episodes while it was on the air.
    I'm on Season 3 now, and I have to say it has been going downhill. It's still good to watch because of the characters (apart from Marissa - she has to die. She overdosed, has a same-sex relationship, almost killed someone, broke up with Ryan ten times, got kicked out of school, got sexually assaulted and shoplifted. There was nothing left for her to do!) but the actual plots have been quite repetitive and less believable.
  • Options
    nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Loved Taylor Townsend. She, Summer and Seth should get their own spin-off show. Hilarious. :D

Ben McKenzie's fantastic in Southland. If you haven't seen it, it's a bit similar to The Wire.

The OC was first rate overall, but my favourite season has to be season 4. Didn't think it'd work as well without Marissa, but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OC is the best tv show ever!!!!!! (followed by OTH)

I love seasons 1,2 and 4... lets just forget that season 3 happened :s

I must of seen them all about 5 times!!!

One tree hill is also amazingly good!! :p and i actually like it more now then when they were at school!! (maybe its because im not at school any more)

GG and 90210 are ok... both are hit and miss!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree about Ben McKenzie in Southland, i love that show. Isn't it funny how you love glossy teeny angsty shows and then also something as serious and gritty as Southland! :D

About OTH, i still think it's great, i still really enjoy it, i just miss the old style when they were all in school as well.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,216
    Forum Member
    I loved the OC Seth/Summer and Ryan were great hated Marissa used to watch it on fast forward through her scenes. Taylor and Ryan were much better as a couple. As for OTH I liked the first series now I only like Brooke and Julian. As for all the newer shows none are anywhere near as good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love The OC, but it started to annoy me after season one. I think I'm kind of over it now as I find even the first season annoying.

Definitely prefer Gossip Girl. Although it comes across as more superficial the characters seem quicker, smarter, slightly darker. It's just a shame the made it a bit too much like The OC but in New York what with sime changes from the book and similarities between certain OC and GG characters - the show and characters are great in their own right, they don't have to be OC clones.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I love The OC definitely one of my favourite ever shows, I love GG but none of these other teens shows like OTH and 90210 can live up to The OC. I've never loved another character the way I love Seth :D I have the complete series box set though so I can watch it whenever.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teenagers are all grown up now.
    Ryan Atwood is a rookie cop in "Southland."
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I borrowed my sister complete boxset as i never saw the first two seasons. It never dawned on me how much of a shit actress Mischa Barton was. She improved a lot as the show went on. In general, she was an average actress and the show never recovered when she left personally. But i did enjoy Season 4. Rachel Bilson did her best to keep it going. Plus i loved Melinda Clarke. Pheom as Julie. No one could of played her better.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    is there a boxset of all of the series a bit like this for sex and the city? I saw the first series of the oc and caught the odd episode but never followed it properly. Liked what I saw though, and I normally don't like american tv.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    is there a boxset of all of the series a bit like this for sex and the city? I saw the first series of the oc and caught the odd episode but never followed it properly. Liked what I saw though, and I normally don't like american tv.

Yeah there is. This is the one I have, its really cool but I paid a lot less than its selling for now.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I miss it. I still watch One Tree Hill, but I preferred The OC. I wish it had gone on for another couple of seasons. I think the 4th season was the best. Mischa was no loss to the show, IMO.
  • Options
    el_scott0rel_scott0r Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    i hated sandy and his massive eyebrows when i first started watching it, but he was by far my favourite character

was impressed when i got the 1st season dvd too...27 hour long episodes :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah there is. This is the one I have, its really cool but I paid a lot less than its selling for now.

cool. it works out a lot cheaper buying each season seperately. :) so I'll do that. right now I'm low on money though. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic show, i was so pleased when ryan and marissa finally got together of that ferris wheel :o

Didn't miss marissa once she'd left though, it gave the awsome taylor townsend the chance to be a main character :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Play.com - £45.96
    HMV - £42.84
    The Hut.com - £41.40

:)

edit: I've never used the hut before? is it reliable?