Options

Why is it some people can't handle women expressing themselves?

WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Take the latest hacking debacle and Jennifer Lawrence's reaction. She dares to express anger and passion about something that's affecting her, so some neanderthal hacks her Wiki page.

Emma Watson also faced a backlash and threats of hacking after her #HeForShe speech.

Remember the lady who campaigned to get Jane Austen featured on the bank note and the horrific abuse she received, including rape and death threads and how two of the people attacking her were extreme enough in their behaviour to be sentenced for it?

JK Rowling daring to express an opinion about Scottish Independence also seemed too much for many people to handle.

There seems to be no end to incidents of a woman expressing something only to then be met with an absolutely insane backlash. I cannot understand this.

Also, while I know men too get trolled and abused online, there is something very specific and nasty and sexist about the abuse women receive. Almost always they will find themselves getting disgusting comments and threats about rape and other sexual threats and abuse. I find this a really big concern and wonder if more could or should be done to educate people about their behaviour online and sexism in general.

In 2014, I find it shocking there is seemingly a large section of society - male and female - who don't think a woman has a right to express herself without facing sex threat based abuse.

What is WRONG with these people!

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neanderthal morons.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are idiots. But remember, sticking up forw women makes you a feminazi
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the male tennis player also get a lot of hate posts for stating his opinion on the Scottish vote.

Its everyone and anyone these days. Nothing to do with gender.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the male tennis player also get a lot of hate posts for stating his opinion on the Scottish vote.

iirc they weren't gender-related threats and abuse, though. That doesn't happen to men so often.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    iirc they weren't gender-related threats and abuse, though. That doesn't happen to men so often.

Yes the type of verbal abuse is different.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Women tennis champions get twitter abuse just for winning wimbledon 'while not being attractive enough'. See the abuse Marion Bartoli got in 2013. That is gender related and it would seem that any woman in the public eye is open to abuse in the media, just for being there really.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Women tennis champions get twitter abuse just for winning wimbledon 'while not being attractive enough'. See the abuse Marion Bartoli got in 2013. That is gender related and it would seem that any woman in the public eye is open to abuse in the media, just for being there really.

To be fair it's not just women in sports who experience this, Wayne Rooney has been mocked for his appearance and been likened to Shrek. And males such as Linford Christe have been objectified for his private parts.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Women tennis champions get twitter abuse just for winning wimbledon 'while not being attractive enough'. See the abuse Marion Bartoli got in 2013.

I find that very strange.

I mean, has there EVER been an attractive female winner of Wimbledon? :confused:
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mean, has there EVER been an attractive female winner of Wimbledon? :confused:

Yeah, Sharapova.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maria Sharapova ain't too bad... ;-)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    They are idiots. But remember, sticking up forw women makes you a feminazi

Or if you're a male who has the balls to go against the grain, you get derided as a White Knight.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it's not just women in sports who experience this, Wayne Rooney has been mocked for his appearance and been likened to Shrek. And males such as Linford Christe have been objectified for his private parts.
    True, outside the sports pages I've rarely a reference to Rooney which didn't make negative reference to his looks.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »
    so some neanderthal hacks her Wiki page.

Hacked? LMFAO
    Do you write headlines for the Daily Mail? :p

You do realise ANYONE can edit Wikipedia?
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Yeah, Sharapova.
    Maria Sharapova ain't too bad... ;-)

One out of about 130 then. :D
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't recall AM getting threatened with gang rape for expressing his views though.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    its saddos on twitter/fb

so there you go enough said
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most vicious and disparaging slagging off of individual women I hear or overhear in everyday life, comes from other women.

But I guess that the women theoreticians have an explanation as to why that too is at root men's fault.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    Hacked? LMFAO
    Do you write headlines for the Daily Mail? :p

You do realise ANYONE can edit Wikipedia?

Wuthering meant 'vandalised', but you already knew that.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I have no idea what problem people have with a strong, articulate, independent woman. These people just seem to be bitter, twisted idiots who blame everyone else for their own failings.
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Take the latest hacking debacle and Jennifer Lawrence's reaction. She dares to express anger and passion about something that's affecting her, so some neanderthal hacks her Wiki page.

Emma Watson also faced a backlash and threats of hacking after her #HeForShe speech.

Remember the lady who campaigned to get Jane Austen featured on the bank note and the horrific abuse she received, including rape and death threads and how two of the people attacking her were extreme enough in their behaviour to be sentenced for it?

JK Rowling daring to express an opinion about Scottish Independence also seemed too much for many people to handle.

There seems to be no end to incidents of a woman expressing something only to then be met with an absolutely insane backlash. I cannot understand this.

Also, while I know men too get trolled and abused online, there is something very specific and nasty and sexist about the abuse women receive. Almost always they will find themselves getting disgusting comments and threats about rape and other sexual threats and abuse. I find this a really big concern and wonder if more could or should be done to educate people about their behaviour online and sexism in general.

In 2014, I find it shocking there is seemingly a large section of society - male and female - who don't think a woman has a right to express herself without facing sex threat based abuse.

What is WRONG with these people!

I think it's a combination of men with a massive inferiority complex, or lack of success with the opposite sex.

I've met a few very 'blokey' blokes if you know what I mean, and whilst they were always on about what they would do to certain women and how they should stay at the sink etc. etc. When it came down to it, they were very sad individuals who could hardly string a coherent sentence together when in front of a woman.

Pretty sad and pathetic really, but par for the course where a lot of blokes are concerned.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes yes, women are eternal victims.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a combination of men with a massive inferiority complex, or lack of success with the opposite sex.
    I've met a few very 'blokey' blokes if you know what I mean, and whilst they were always on about what they would do to certain women and how they should stay at the sink etc. etc. When it came down to it, they were very sad individuals who could hardly string a coherent sentence together when in front of a woman.
    Pretty sad and pathetic really, but par for the course where a lot of blokes are concerned.

That can't be it. I am hopeless with the opposite sex but I don't go around blaming women for that. I blame myself because I am odd as fook.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Why are women so desperate to have the monopoly on any issue they face? Let's just dismiss and diminish any abuse male celebrities get because that doesn't fit the agenda.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why are women so desperate to have the monopoly on any issue they face? Let's just dismiss and diminish any abuse male celebrities get because that doesn't fit the agenda.

Male celebs don't tend to get rape threats though.