Holidays and stopping periods?

rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, so i have two holidays planned over the next 3 months and because i am that clever both are booked when my period is due. Last year was the same but as luck would have it, my sister just found out she was pregnant at the time and gave me her pills to stop it. (Not sure which ones they were) Now what i need help with is what can i take to stop my periods during these times? Does the contraceptive injection work? As this may last the duration of both holidays. Also is there a specific time in which i need to start taking anything as my holiday is on the 2nd June and i am due on around the 9th?

*Edit* I am currently not on any pill, so cannot unfortunately just carry on taking the pill back to back

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are on the pill you can usually run two packets back to back which I do on occasion to stop a period for a holiday or other occasion.

If you aren't then there is something you can take - a couple of my friends have had it but you will need to get to the doctors fairly quickly as you have to start taking it a bit before you are due on and as far as I know its prescription only. I can't remember the name of it but your Dr will be able to advise.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I just take two pill packets back to back to delay a period but it is probably too late for you to go on the pill for your holiday as I think you are supposed to take it on the first day of a period. Also it is quite common to have spotting in the first couple of months after starting it- I know I did. You could try getting Norethisterone from your doctor- I have taken it in the past and it is very effective.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I just take two pill packets back to back to delay a period but it is probably too late for you to go on the pill for your holiday as I think you are supposed to take it on the first day of a period. Also it is quite common to have spotting in the first couple of months after starting it- I know I did. You could try getting Norethisterone from your doctor- I have taken it in the past and it is very effective.

I agree about Norethisterone, it worked perfectly for me.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very effective but watch out for the mood swings ! When I took it my holiday was ruined all I wanted to do was kill anyone who spoke to me:o. And when a friend of mine took it she had a dreadful honeymoon and just wanted to rip her husbands head off all week :eek:. Both never like that normally and since stopping have never been like it since ! :)
  • rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ooo, i dont suppose you know how in advance i would need to start taking norethisterone?

And Molliepops, thanks for the pre warning on that one! First holiday with the bf, so this could perhaps prove interesting!
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    rehab_101 wrote: »
    Ooo, i dont suppose you know how in advance i would need to start taking norethisterone?

And Molliepops, thanks for the pre warning on that one! First holiday with the bf, so this could perhaps prove interesting!

If you click on the link it says 3 days before period due and then you carry on taking it until you want your period to start.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    If you click on the link it says 3 days before period due and then you carry on taking it until you want your period to start.

That's exactly what I did, took it 3 days before (and with no side effects at all).
  • rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah thanks, looks like this could be the winner then. Time to sit on hold to the docs now in an attempt to get an appointment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depoprovera is a no no as you can bleed constantly when you first start taking it and end up with more problems than when you started!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've used it before when I was about 15 and it was fine, only thing was the day i stopped it me period arrived the following day! i thought i couldve put it off for longer, now i take the pill back to back, well i did until i stopped it 2 years ago, now by pure luck i've never been due on holiday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rehab_101 wrote: »
    Does the contraceptive injection work?
    Ok so i'm a man so don't shoot me if my advice is useless but I can confirm that the injection does stop your period. Not sure if you will have time before you go though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Ok so i'm a man so don't shoot me if my advice is useless but I can confirm that the injection does stop your period. Not sure if you will have time before you go though.

The injection DOES NOT stop your periods. It is different for everyone.

Plus if it does stop your period it can take up to a year for this to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    BooBoo_kw wrote: »
    The injection DOES NOT stop your periods. It is different for everyone.

Plus if it does stop your period it can take up to a year for this to happen.

It stopped mine straight away, and i have had no side effects from it
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I have this exact same problem coming up, only a few weeks later in march. Wanted to ask those of you that have had this before, if you go to the doctor and say you want it purely for convenience of not having a period on holiday, is that a good enough reason for them to prescribe or will they be funny about prescribing it just for a holiday?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Norethisterone! Provided your periods are regular like clockwork then your doc will likely suggest this. I use it when I go on hols - if at all possible, and this is what I do, I would take it for the cycle BEFORE you go away; that way you don't have to remember to take it whilst on hols (and put up with any side effects!) ;) Hope that makes sense!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this exact same problem coming up, only a few weeks later in march. Wanted to ask those of you that have had this before, if you go to the doctor and say you want it purely for convenience of not having a period on holiday, is that a good enough reason for them to prescribe or will they be funny about prescribing it just for a holiday?

I have asked 2 or 3 doctors for it, purely for convenience, and never had a problem. Last time I got it from the practice nurse. They understand that hot weather, swimming, activities can really be spoiled by periods in themselves not to mention any pain you may get! :)
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Norethisterone! Provided your periods are regular like clockwork then your doc will likely suggest this. I use it when I go on hols - if at all possible, and this is what I do, I would take it for the cycle BEFORE you go away; that way you don't have to remember to take it whilst on hols (and put up with any side effects!) ;) Hope that makes sense!

How clockwork do they need to be, my cycle can vary by about 3 days - would that be ok?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How clockwork do they need to be, my cycle can vary by about 3 days - would that be ok?

Probably be ok; you are sposed to start taking it 3 days before you are due on, but I have taken it later than that before and it still stopped it before I came on. Just make sure you have the right day in your head and don't leave it any later than 3 days before.
    Forum Member
    Probably be ok; you are sposed to start taking it 3 days before you are due on, but I have taken it later than that before and it still stopped it before I came on. Just make sure you have the right day in your head and don't leave it any later than 3 days before.

Cool, so if I started taking it 3 days before the earliest day I would expect to come on it should be fine then.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself as I meant to go back on the pill again a couple of months ago so I could have taken pills back to back but never got around to making the appointment and just realised yesterday that my next period will be holiday so left it too late to do that now :(
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go away on monday and i'm not due on, but the last time we went away for a week my period came 10 days early!! but hopefully that wont happen again