Now Tv - Failing badly

13»

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Rambler80 wrote: »
    Not so good for sports customers, unless Sky can persuade the Premier League to get the games replayed. Of course Sky would need to find 90 minutes in which their fragile servers can hold out.

I had no idea that so many people were using the service to watch sports now. Then again, neither had Sky by the look of it ;-).
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It wasn't just NowTV that went down. It was SkyGo aswell..
    Sky have known for ages they're servers cannot cope with high demand and as soon as demand hits, it crashes like a blind man going the wrong way down the M1!!!

They've got to sort this because its pathetic. SkyGo crashes atleast once a ******* week now and their answer is a pathetic sorry and yet nothing by way of improving their rather poor infrastructure.

Alot of refunds for NowTV subscribers and pass-buyers. Its gonna hit them hard and hopefully they learn, allbeit late!
  • raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive a feeling that by the end of 2015 Netflix will have in access of 4m uk subscribers and Now tv will eventually fall by the wayside or become a bit player.

'Bit player' - very good! I see what you did there...
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    From a technical point of view, are they using unicast or multicast for the streams?

If its the former then it explains a lot. Amazed that with Sky's resources, they still haven't sorted this issue outl

They're using unicast.

Where would the multicast infrastructure come from? No major CDN has significant multicast capacity.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Radio Times ol sent me a message on my Facebook account, about this, anybody would think they were gloating, as if they would if Murdoch t.v. Crashes ;-)
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the second half of the Man City game on Sky Go without any issues. :/
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Mirror:
    Football fans left fuming after pay-as-you-go internet service NOW TV crashes during Premier League finale

Thousands of football fans were left fuming after a pay-as-you-go service to watch the Premier League over the internet crashed during yesterday’s thrilling climax to the season. .....

.....Furious viewers, who paid £9.99 to watch the crucial action online, were left with error messages due to problems believed to have been caused by weight of demand. .....
    More at: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/now-tv-crash-football-fans-3529675#ixzz31UuqLvtM

Guardian:
    Sky Go and Now TV users complain after Premier League outage
    Sky internet TV service Now TV is to offer a refund after fans faced problems viewing key Premier League games on Sunday.

Users of the Sky Go online player also faced difficulties as the football season reached its climax with games including Manchester City against West Ham. ...
    More at: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/12/sky-go-now-tv-users-complain-premier-league-manchester-city-west-ham
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    The Phazer wrote: »
    They're using unicast.

Where would the multicast infrastructure come from? No major CDN has significant multicast capacity.

Aren't BT using multicast for streaming live TV channels?

To be fair to Sky, BT only stream that content to their own network. Sky (and Now TV) doesn't have that luxury. Still, whatever steps they took to sure the service would say up during the final day of the best Premier League title race in years, failed. Big time.
  • Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    About bloody time the media picked up on this farce. If it had been the BBC a certian newspaper would have been all over this weeks ago.
    Forum Member
    More angry customers tonight on twitter re: Game of Thrones.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep getting the message "We apologise for the inconvenience, but we have encountered a problem with your account.
    Please contact 08442411280 for further assistance."
    Been having this since 1pm, spoke to online chat advisor who said my movies pass is still active and can't understand what's going on so has passed it to the technical team.
    I've heard stories about Sky cancelling peoples NowTV accounts out of the blue.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are offering refunds to people who have experienced a loss of service
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Week 6 and it's down again. ! Sky couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery but would have no problem collecting the admittance fee !
    Forum Member
    They are offering refunds to people who have experienced a loss of service

Groundhog day.
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    Week 6 and it's down again. ! Sky couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery but would have no problem collecting the admittance fee !

Like i said, Game Of Thrones causes it to go down because it cannot take demand.
    It always goes down when GoT is on. Its beyond ridiculous!!
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Like i said, Game Of Thrones causes it to go down because it cannot take demand.
    They need to stop trying to show GofT live until they have sufficient capacity then.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to find other means to watch GoT last night. First it was down, then it wasn't, then it was, then I tried watching on catch-up, only for it to stutter and skip so badly it became a pointless effort.

At this rate they'll be paying me to watch their service.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Had to find other means to watch GoT last night. First it was down, then it wasn't, then it was, then I tried watching on catch-up, only for it to stutter and skip so badly it became a pointless effort.

At this rate they'll be paying me to watch their service.

This is why exclusive contracts are so damaging for consumers. If Sky was competing against other services providing the same shows it would have to do a far better job to retain customers.
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    They need to stop trying to show GofT live until they have sufficient capacity then.

Sky's infrastructure for streaming has never been up to par when it comes to demand.
    Its like expecting a piece of cooked spaghetti to be a good tow-rope..
    But Sky have known this is an issue for a while now as NowTV and SkyGo are down week in and week out, yet have not acted once to get a hold of it and improve their position.
    So don't expect it to change anytime soon. Its an afterthought, not a priority.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »

Unlike my ex.... *ba-dum-tish*!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I keep getting the message "We apologise for the inconvenience, but we have encountered a problem with your account.
    Please contact 08442411280 for further assistance."
    Been having this since 1pm, spoke to online chat advisor who said my movies pass is still active and can't understand what's going on so has passed it to the technical team.
    I've heard stories about Sky cancelling peoples NowTV accounts out of the blue.

I've also heard that Sky cross check Now TV subscribers with their linear TV service. If there are any arrears on the linear TV account, the Now TV account is closed.

No refund is given when the service is cut off as the money is credited to the linear account that is in arrears.

AIUI, one cannot call Re: Now TV. Any written queries or complaints about this practice are ignored.

If anyone telephones Sky on their main number, they are told that the two companies are seperate and they cannot discuss Now TV accounts.

They are a terrible company, so I wanted to warn everybody about the above practices.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Registered for the movies on my NowTV box and it has been absolutely rubbish.

Seems a bit sparse in terms of choice and I keep getting Movie unavailable error. Took 3 attempts just to log into my account today and once I got in I couldn't view anything at all.

Service duly cancelled.
    Forum Member
    More problems last night, just in time for the new football season and the launch of the week pass.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-news-and-information/Issue-watching-NOW-TV-this-evening/m-p/238779