Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    One of my ex girlfriends is a singer who did his show and said he acted like a jerk to everyone. I went to the filming of one the Hootenannys years ago and saw him acting like a tit to all of the crew (it was the one when Huey from FLC was doing Fly Me To The Moon and so on). I know one of the camera men on his show who also hates him. He just seems like a truly horrible person.

Thanks for replying einombre. I've always had 'unlikeable' vibes off him when I've seen him on TV so it's interesting to know some insider info!
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ariana Grande.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the old posts proved insightful. One chap back in 2010 predicted "DS would go into meltdown" and it would all come out once Jimmy Savile died, to which another poster responded...."are you from the future?!" :D Fast forward 2 years to 2012 and another said Rolf Harris was horrible face to face.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex jockey and former team captain on Question of Sport Willie Carson, on tv he appears to be a cheeky chappie kind of bloke, I used to work in horse racing and he he is a nasty little git.
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie Hopkins is just pure bitch through and through - you can just tell
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Katie Hopkins is just pure bitch through and through - you can just tell

But Katie Hopkins isn't nice in public either so it doesn't count really.

At least we know she isn't two-faced - if she was - she wouldn't be wearing that one!
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex jockey and former team captain on Question of Sport Willie Carson, on tv he appears to be a cheeky chappie kind of bloke, I used to work in horse racing and he he is a nasty little git.

Man, they used to have Willie standing on about three milk crates next to Claire Balding when they did the TV racing commentary a few years ago he's so tiny.

I met him once, he was alright. He shook my hand on the racecourse and said: 'Ooooh your hands are cold!'. :kitty:
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend and I used to stand outside the BBC in Manchester on a Saturday morning to see the pop stars of the day coming out after a show that used to be live every week (the name escapes me, possibly Oxford Road Show). Duran Duran were a delight each time we saw them (and this was at the height of their fame). Spandau Ballet made sure that every single fan waiting got a photo/autograph - there were hundreds waiting so they allowed a manageable number of groups into the main reception area and spent time with everyone. Really lovely lads (the drummer was very flirty).

Toyah was also great - she came out to sign autographs and commented on my good choice of magazine (The Face). Depeche Mode did one at the end of the show, leaving knowing we'd all been waiting outside to see them >:(

For work, I've met a few designers - Paul Costelloe, John Rocha and Jasper Conran, all of whom were friendly. Also met Rick Stein, seemed pretty quiet but very nice. Sir Stanley Matthews was an absolute sweetheart - he turned up unexpectedly to our (large and famous pottery company in Staffordshire) a couple of times. The first time, I was asked to go down to the showroom and sort him some discount in the store (he didn't ask and was very grateful). I never, ever ask for autographs but my (now ex) husband would have killed me if I'd not asked Sir Stanley. He did better than that, he took our home address and sent a personalised signed photograph to our home later that week. The second time I met him, we had a laugh and a joke about my team (Manchester United) and a chat about the (then newly built) Stoke City ground. He was just lovely.

We also had Sarah, Duchess of York visiting, very friendly and approachable. Also, Nicholas Parsons and John Inman (separate visits). Mr Parsons was very gentlemanly and professional. Mr Inman rang my colleague to chase up his fee then rang her a few days later to thank her for sending it.

A friend of mine in Cornwall takes small groups of people on tours of the county. He took one group into a (lovely, tiny) pub in Zennor (a tiny village just outside of St Ives) and was told by the manager they were expecting a famous actress and they must not speak to, look at or acknowledge her at all (and this pub is tiny, so that would be quite difficult). Anyway, in walks Dame Judy Dench and, as instructed, my friend's party ignored her. One of the group had a bad back and went to warm himself in front of the log fire. Dame Judy looked up and commiserated with him on his aches and pains and thereafter followed a very long chat about their various ailments - apparently, she couldn't have been more down to earth or lovelier.

I saw Lenny Henry at a book signing in Lewis's in Manchester about 20 years ago (I hadn't known he was there, I was walking through the store on my lunch break). He looked miserable as sin, really grumpy and that was when he'd just walked in and sat down! Have never liked him since.

Sir Bobby Charlton - went to his book signing in WH Smith's in Manchester Arndale about 6 or so years ago. He turned up about 15 minutes late, was in a very grumpy mood (no smiling, just not friendly). Staff came along the queue to inform us he'd told them he would be finishing on the dot, despite being late. It was clear the staff felt very awkward. He barely looked up when signing the books either. I wasn't impressed. Gordon Ramsey on the other hand stayed at least an hour after his book signing should have finished, top fella, really friendly and had a word for everyone.

Aussie comedian Jim Jeffries is another top fella. Always, always stays behind to meet fans and have photos taken. Russell Brand was the same, and Jason Manford.

Finally, my mother ran smack bang into David Beckham when walking into M&S in Manchester as he was walking out - bags flew everywhere (so she says). He picked all the bags up, made sure she was alright and apologised profusely. She said he was a real gent.
  • Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Pleasantly surprised to read that. :)

I guess the general public only ever saw him being obnoxious back in the day..........although we did see him mellow somewhat in later years.

Not surprised about his son though.

Met him a few times, the first was when I was walking across the front of Belfast City Hall one friday morning, Paisley would do open air preaching every week, I was just passing by (rather hungover) when he thundered "And YOU young man, where will you spend eternity?" I just squeaked "dunno" and scuttled off, it was like being hit with a tornado.

On one of the other times I met him, I mentioned I had went to school with his niece, he came across as a nice old man, not the demagogue he was portrayed as.

I nearly flattened Van Morrison one day, he walked out of a restaurant straight into me, I had no idea who he was, he looked like a midget with a silly hat and a ginger wig, we exchanged dirty looks and went our separate ways. I only twigged when I saw him on telly that night.

James Nesbitt is a nice guy, I remember when he was a bingo caller in Portrush when I was a kid. Met the Pet Shop Boys too, pleasant guys.

Strangest one was standing beside Adele Silva in a petrol station queue, thought she looked familiar but couldn't place it, much more attractive than she is on screen, very tiny as well. Gorgeous eyes.

I witnessed a funny situation with Carl Fogarty when he was racing bikes, he was at the NW200 and was a bit cheeky with a marshal, who was a big country lad who looked like he could carry a cow under each arm, said marshal told Foggy that if he spoke like that again he would lose his teeth.

Heard another story about Foggy that I would believe, seemingly he was on a ferry from Ireland when a kid approached him for an autograph and got told to F-off, what he didn't know was that the kid's dad was a member of a certain MC club and was on the boat with other members of his "chapter" who were not best pleased and decided to "have a word" Foggy allegedly hid from sight until the boat docked lest he got a shoeing or went for a swim.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    My friend and I used to stand outside the BBC in Manchester on a Saturday morning to see the pop stars of the day coming out after a show that used to be live every week (the name escapes me, possibly Oxford Road Show). Duran Duran were a delight each time we saw them (and this was at the height of their fame). Spandau Ballet made sure that every single fan waiting got a photo/autograph - there were hundreds waiting so they allowed a manageable number of groups into the main reception area and spent time with everyone. Really lovely lads (the drummer was very flirty).

Toyah was also great - she came out to sign autographs and commented on my good choice of magazine (The Face). Depeche Mode did one at the end of the show, leaving knowing we'd all been waiting outside to see them >:(

For work, I've met a few designers - Paul Costelloe, John Rocha and Jasper Conran, all of whom were friendly. Also met Rick Stein, seemed pretty quiet but very nice. Sir Stanley Matthews was an absolute sweetheart - he turned up unexpectedly to our (large and famous pottery company in Staffordshire) a couple of times. The first time, I was asked to go down to the showroom and sort him some discount in the store (he didn't ask and was very grateful). I never, ever ask for autographs but my (now ex) husband would have killed me if I'd not asked Sir Stanley. He did better than that, he took our home address and sent a personalised signed photograph to our home later that week. The second time I met him, we had a laugh and a joke about my team (Manchester United) and a chat about the (then newly built) Stoke City ground. He was just lovely.

We also had Sarah, Duchess of York visiting, very friendly and approachable. Also, Nicholas Parsons and John Inman (separate visits). Mr Parsons was very gentlemanly and professional. Mr Inman rang my colleague to chase up his fee then rang her a few days later to thank her for sending it.

A friend of mine in Cornwall takes small groups of people on tours of the county. He took one group into a (lovely, tiny) pub in Zennor (a tiny village just outside of St Ives) and was told by the manager they were expecting a famous actress and they must not speak to, look at or acknowledge her at all (and this pub is tiny, so that would be quite difficult). Anyway, in walks Dame Judy Dench and, as instructed, my friend's party ignored her. One of the group had a bad back and went to warm himself in front of the log fire. Dame Judy looked up and commiserated with him on his aches and pains and thereafter followed a very long chat about their various ailments - apparently, she couldn't have been more down to earth or lovelier.

I saw Lenny Henry at a book signing in Lewis's in Manchester about 20 years ago (I hadn't known he was there, I was walking through the store on my lunch break). He looked miserable as sin, really grumpy and that was when he'd just walked in and sat down! Have never liked him since.

Sir Bobby Charlton - went to his book signing in WH Smith's in Manchester Arndale about 6 or so years ago. He turned up about 15 minutes late, was in a very grumpy mood (no smiling, just not friendly). Staff came along the queue to inform us he'd told them he would be finishing on the dot, despite being late. It was clear the staff felt very awkward. He barely looked up when signing the books either. I wasn't impressed. Gordon Ramsey on the other hand stayed at least an hour after his book signing should have finished, top fella, really friendly and had a word for everyone.

Aussie comedian Jim Jeffries is another top fella. Always, always stays behind to meet fans and have photos taken. Russell Brand was the same, and Jason Manford.

Finally, my mother ran smack bang into David Beckham when walking into M&S in Manchester as he was walking out - bags flew everywhere (so she says). He picked all the bags up, made sure she was alright and apologised profusely. She said he was a real gent.

Taking a guess on the Saturday morning show.

Was it 'Get Set For Summer' or 'The 815 From Manchester'?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

I remember Get Set, in Summer 1982. It preceded Saturday Superstore.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    It pains me to say it - Richard Armitage turned out to be a big disappointment in person for me and my daughter.

I've been a huge fan of his for 10 years, went to see him in the Crucible last year. I wouldn't normally go to the stage door, but my daughter was very keen and people online were raving that he was lovely and signed autographs or took photos with everyone queuing up.

The logical side of me says he was having a bad day or was incredibly tired when my daughter and I queued up. He whizzed through the queue that day, looking generally grumpy, grimaced into a few cameras then ignored large sections of the queue. When he approached our section, my teenaged daughter, who has been a massive fan of his since his Robin Hood days, politely asked him for an autograph, but he just blanked her and strode on by to the people standing directly behind us. He was right next to her, and would definitely have heard her, as I was as close and I heard her.

I know it was a long performance and he puts so much energy into it, but I think on a day like that, if he'd sent a message out saying he was unable to appear at the stage door for whatever reason, it would have been preferable and I wouldn't have got the first impression of him that I did. I wasn't so much bothered for myself, but for my daughter. Although I can see it logically from his side, and he owes us nothing, it's really put me off watching any of his work, even things I've previously loved. Wish I hadn't gone now.

In contrast, I heard from a family friend who actually appeared in Richard III alongside Martin Freeman that MF would spend over an hour a night after every performance, seeing each and every person who turned up at the stage door.

I believe I'm probably in the minority with my experience of Richard Armitage, but I won't be spending any more money on films, DVDs or plays with him appearing in, so at least he's saved me some hard-earned cash.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    It pains me to say it - Richard Armitage turned out to be a big disappointment in person for me and my daughter.

I've been a huge fan of his for 10 years, went to see him in the Crucible last year. I wouldn't normally go to the stage door, but my daughter was very keen and people online were raving that he was lovely and signed autographs or took photos with everyone queuing up.

The logical side of me says he was having a bad day or was incredibly tired when my daughter and I queued up. He whizzed through the queue that day, looking generally grumpy, grimaced into a few cameras then ignored large sections of the queue. When he approached our section, my teenaged daughter, who has been a massive fan of his since his Robin Hood days, politely asked him for an autograph, but he just blanked her and strode on by to the people standing directly behind us. He was right next to her, and would definitely have heard her, as I was as close and I heard her.

I know it was a long performance and he puts so much energy into it, but I think on a day like that, if he'd sent a message out saying he was unable to appear at the stage door for whatever reason, it would have been preferable and I wouldn't have got the first impression of him that I did. I wasn't so much bothered for myself, but for my daughter. Although I can see it logically from his side, and he owes us nothing, it's really put me off watching any of his work, even things I've previously loved. Wish I hadn't gone now.

In contrast, I heard from a family friend who actually appeared in Richard III alongside Martin Freeman that MF would spend over an hour a night after every performance, seeing each and every person who turned up at the stage door.

I believe I'm probably in the minority with my experience of Richard Armitage, but I won't be spending any more money on films, DVDs or plays with him appearing in, so at least he's saved me some hard-earned cash.
    He has always struck me as someone who takes himself and his art too seriously, perhaps he does not like doing it? Or more realistically, he was knackered and a bit grumpy. Either was I am sorry for your daughter.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

I remember Get Set, in Summer 1982. It preceded Saturday Superstore.

Neither of these sound familiar, but it was so long ago (1981-83).
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member

I'll tell you who is a cracking fella, great sense of humour and happy to chat to anyone, Robin Williams... what a star!

Aw :(

(Post from 2010)
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

To be fair when there is a big group of people you can sometimes blank out people voices etc....You would hear her because you are with her but sometimes people genuinely don't hear obvious things
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    To be fair when there is a big group of people you can sometimes blank out people voices etc....You would hear her because you are with her but sometimes people genuinely don't hear obvious things

I agree. If you're focussed on something else then you can genuinely not hear someone right next to you sometimes.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I agree. If you're focussed on something else then you can genuinely not hear someone right next to you sometimes.
    Also, he may have heard her, but known known who the voice was coming from amongst the general babble.
  • ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Sir Stanley Matthews was an absolute sweetheart - he turned up unexpectedly to our (large and famous pottery company in Staffordshire) a couple of times. .

Testament to Sir Stan was the entire City coming to a standstill when he died. We were at the Britannia for his funeral procession and there were so many people there. I don't think there are many people in Stoke who didn't meet Stan and be awed by him at some point.
    Same actually with Gordon Banks, I've met him a few times and he is always lovely.

Couple to add....

Norman Lovatt - Brilliant brilliant man, amused my daughter greatly by saying her favourite line 'everybody's dead Dave' despite the fact he had a stinking cold.

Craig Charles - Love Craig, always happier with a drink in his hand though :D

Chris Rankin (Percy Weasley) - My daughter adored him and was over the moon to meet him. He was great, took time to talk to her, have a photo etc. He's spoken to her a few times on twitter as well.
  • playboy69playboy69 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    My friend knows Beyonce very well and apparantly she is vile, self obsessed and vindictive.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    playboy69 wrote: »
    My friend knows Beyonce very well and apparantly she is vile, self obsessed and vindictive.

Crikey, I'm really shocked by that one ;-)!
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I have to say, I feel some of the celebs on here are being criticised unfairly.
    Obviously, some of them have been rude and unpleasant to fans or people they work with and deserve criticism.
    But others just seem to have politely refused to sign autographs or pose for photographs when they're trying to relax with family or friends, do their shopping, have a meal out with their spouse or in other ways have a private and personal life. I know people will say 'it would only have taken a minute to write a quick message' or whatever, but that's one minute writing in your autograph book and doesn't take into account the hundreds of times they're interrupted while going about their everyday business by members of the public.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    playboy69 wrote: »

What:confused:

The woman who spends 99.9% of her existence posting photo-shopped selfies on Instagram in various states of undress and who would clearly eat herself if she was made of chocolate being self obsessed??

Whatever next:D
  • The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member

For me the issue here is ignoring a child. He must have seen her if not heard her. Adults presumably handle disappointment better than a child.
    I work in a large store, and even though I have problems hearing, I always manage to catch when a child is excited to hand me money or receive the receipt, even at peak hours when the level of noise is probably above what is recommended. I work 11-hour shifts, and I never have a moments peace during the day apart from my breaks. Imagine how tired I am after an 11 hour shift. The final hours are a nightmare, since I am a highly sensitive person. Still, I catch the excitement of a child. Ignoring a child is not on. Even if I have no energy left, I never disappoint a child.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    As chance would have it, I know someone who went to school with Richard Armitage. My acquaintance says that he was never particularly well-liked outside his own little circle of friends. Now one can interpret this two ways: either his little circle of friends comprised unlikeable people like himself; or that his experience of being not-well-liked at school had a negative impact on his adult character.

As I understand it he was (and perhaps still is) a classical musician who played in a youth orchestra of some note. I am of a similar age and also a musician, and I know first hand how ostracising that particular talent can be at a secondary school.

Makes you think. Makes me think, anyway.
    The Dane wrote: »
    [...]never disappoint a child.

Wasn't this one of the "golden rules" of one of our dear departed variety performers? I'm thinking Bob Monkhouse, but it's probably not him.