What were the 80s like really?

angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
Forum Member
✭✭
I always wonder, i wish i had been around then, well i wish it was the 80s now when i am this age:( would have been so cool, but was it cool or just crappy? people always tell me different stories lol, and i suppose threads have been done on this before.
I was a kid in the 90s but i hated them, how can people say they were better than the 80s, 80s looked way cooler :(:D

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No period is better than the other. We, as humans, like to think that our own youth was superior and hark on about how it was so much better in the <insert decade here>. Our memories are a little biased, and usually wrong. Eventually each decade resembles the next, and finally the century is over. Technology, music and hairstyles may change, but when you get right down to the nitty gritty, it's all the same. You're missing nothing, kid.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    Violent, - at one point it felt like everyone was kicking the shit out of each other, but i was young so enjoyed them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    angelbabyx wrote: »
    I always wonder, i wish i had been around then, well i wish it was the 80s now when i am this age:( would have been so cool, but was it cool or just crappy? people always tell me different stories lol, and i suppose threads have been done on this before.
    I was a kid in the 90s but i hated them, how can people say they were better than the 80s, 80s looked way cooler :(:D

It was 10 years and a lot happened in them, what in particular was 'way cooler'?
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popalong wrote: »
    No period is better than the other. We, as humans, like to think that our own youth was superior and hark on about how it was so much better in the <insert decade here>. Our memories are a little biased, and usually wrong.

^^ this. I was a teenager in the 80s and loved it, but probably would have loved it just the same if I was a teen in the 60's or 70s.

The music was great and the fashion was to die for. I experienced a lot of "firsts" :o, so it was a decade that I will always look fondly on.
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no one who was young in the 80s will be able to read the list below without a pang or two :D

http://www.members.tripod.com/john_larocque/80.html
  • Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Great music, hairstyles, cars, fashions.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,018
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »
    ^^ this. I was a teenager in the 80s and loved it, but probably would have loved it just the same if I was a teen in the 60's or 70s.

The music was great and the fashion was to die for. I experienced a lot of "firsts" :o, so it was a decade that I will always look fondly on.

Conversely, I was a teenager in the 80s and the music was awful (from about 82-83), and the fashion was cringemakingly awful.

It was a horrible decade for so many reasons
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    I liked the 80s. The world we know and love today began then! The mass adoption of personal computers (and games consoles), the world wide web, the mobile phone, multi-channel TV, smart weapons, house price inflation, the love of money, z-list celeb culture, organised football hooligans, mad celebrity footballers becoming commonplace - Gazza, Maradona, rapping footballers - big hair, new romantics, goths everywhere, easier exams :D and plenty more. It all started in the 80s! :D
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skip_Tech wrote: »
    no one who was young in the 80s will be able to read the list below without a pang or two :D

I was a teenager in the 80s but can't say I remember these two -

COCKBRUN, BRUCE - Lovers In A Dangerous Time (84)
    COCKBURN, BRUCE - If I Had A Rocket Launcher (85/88)

Those two songs should have been on a double A-side single.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Big hair, big shoulder pads, some good music, some dross and some very sad fashion choices on my part (no photographic evidence thankfully exists)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ejm wrote: »

Shell-suits?
    Leg warmers?
    Shoulder pad?
    Bat winged jumpers?
    Poodle perms?
    "Frankie says relax" t-shirts?

They died in the 80's. :D
  • SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing is for sure that in my opinion, entertainment, music, fashion, etc was much better between the in the 70s 80s and 90s. I think everything is rather bland nowadays and pales poorly into comparison, each to their own of course though.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done mid-teens to mid-20's in the 80's.

It was f*****g fantastic.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was kinda young to experience most of the 80s in all honesty, But I do seem to remember there were a lot more luminous yellow coloured things back then. I miss that. Probably cant make things that luminous yellow anymore because of all the chemicals needed to make such a ludicrously eye-raping colour.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the 80s. I went from 8 to 18 so it was the decade I grew up. I don't really have that many memories of the 70s (mostly power cuts and bad shirts) and the 90s onwards were all about the hassles of work, money and living - but the 80s were just great trouble-free decade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thread, OP. I was a child in the 80s, born in 1977. I have wonderful memories and love, love, love 80s music!:D

I often wish I had been born ten years earlier so that I could have been a teenager rather than a child in the 80s and really have properly enjoyed the fashions, going out etc. As it was, I turned 13 in 1990 and was a 90s teenager - I loved Oasis!

I'm very nostalgic for the 80s, brilliant decade. But I'm the first to admit that I had a happy childhood and it's maybe that that I'm nostalgic for as much as anything else. :)
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Conversely, I was a teenager in the 80s and the music was awful (from about 82-83), and the fashion was cringemakingly awful.

It was a horrible decade for so many reasons
    Have to agree with this. The 80's sucked. :cool:
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likethis :D
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Skip_Tech wrote: »

No T'Pau on it :mad:

Or Iron Maiden!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It was awful. We had the possibility of the USSR going into a meltdown; we had Thatcher telling everyone that it doesn't matter who you **** over as long as you get rich; it was every man for himself and never mind who you stand on; we had the miners strike and beginning of the Poll Tax Rebellion, we had TV adverts telling everyone that we'd all die of AIDS; the music was crap; the TV was crap; the fashion was crap. Looking back it all seems quite mightmarish and horrible.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You hated the 90s? :eek: I miss the 90s, life was so carefree as a child. Growing up listening to older siblings listening to Oasis etc. Watching pokemon.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Shell-suits?
    Leg warmers?
    Shoulder pad?
    Bat winged jumpers?
    Poodle perms?
    "Frankie says relax" t-shirts?

They died in the 80's. :D

Fabulous :D:D
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    It was awful. We had the possibility of the USSR going into a meltdown; we had Thatcher telling everyone that it doesn't matter who you **** over as long as you get rich; it was every man for himself and never mind who you stand on; we had the miners strike and beginning of the Poll Tax Rebellion, we had TV adverts telling everyone that we'd all die of AIDS; the music was crap; the TV was crap; the fashion was crap. Looking back it all seems quite mightmarish and horrible.

The Vienetta was nice though.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Done mid-teens to mid-20's in the 80's.

It was f*****g fantastic.

Same here (13 to 23) in the '80's and it was a great time.
    A lot of changes both politically and socially, but on a personal level, some of the best times of my life